The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 21, 2020, 11:01 AM   #1
BondoBob

Latitude loading auto vs revolver cartridges

I'm noticing that there is very little range in loads between min and max with 380 and 9mm. I see a range of about 3 or 4 10ths of a grain on average. While my revolver load data shows as much as 2 full grains of range. Before I start to attempt reloading autos, I wanted to check if I'm just looking at the wrong recipes or this is just the way it is. I see my Lee safety scale and a digital scale I got on Amazon for $30 disagree by abut 2 10ths some times. Would I need a much better scale before doing these loads in my autos? Or are the consequences of being under or over by a 10th of a grain not much of a big deal. Ultimately, I think I'd be loading the the exact middle weight. But in the beginning I know you have to start at the minimum.
Old June 21, 2020, 03:33 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

The range is based on changing the charge weight by a percentage, not by some fixed number of grains. That is because different chamberings have different case capacities, so the number of grains that reduce the pressure a certain amount in one cartridge will reduce it by a different amount in another.

The most common practice is to reduce any maximum load by 10% to get a starting load. Though it varies with the powder characteristics, that commonly results in somewhere in the vicinity of a 20% reduction in pressure (pressure changes exponentially with powder charge). Reducing pressure to ensure a safe level is what the starting load is for. But this means a powder with a 1.5 grain maximum in 25 Auto would have a theoretical starting load of 1.35 grains, or 0.15 grains reduction, which is a 10% reduction from 1.5 grains. That calls for more resolution than a lot of powder scales have. Also, note that Western Powders actually recommends reducing rifle loads by 10% from maximum to find a starting load, but recommends reducing handgun loads by 15% from maximum to find a starting load. I'm sure part of that is the problem with scale resolution, but it is a good practice with the exception of a few slow magnum powders which may not be safely reduced much without risking squibbing out and leaving bullets stuck in the barrel.

To reduce a load by 10%, multiply the maximum charge by 0.9 to get your 10% reduced load.

To reduce a load by 15%, multiply the maximum charge by 0.85 to get your 15% reduced load.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old June 21, 2020, 03:46 PM   #3
rclark

Case volume is the difference. In 9mm, .45 Auto, .380 .... have little volume, so a 0.2g of powder can make a big difference in pressure. Where-as a .357 cartridge has much more case volume than a 9mm, so 0.2 makes little difference. Also, remember, a semi-auto cartridge has to have enough power to cycle the slide, so the minimum load has to be higher than a .357, or .45 Colt, or.... Hope that makes sense to you.
{ I see above says what I said after I 'reread' it ... }.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.

Last edited by rclark; June 21, 2020 at 03:54 PM.