The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 17, 2024, 08:08 AM   #1
Prof Young

Percussion caps still won't percuss, and . . .

Okay, short story is I bought and built a CVA Hawken Pistol kit. But I have to pull the trigger as many as half a dozen times to get the percussion cap to fire. I have tried different caps and I turned the nipple making it more narrow. No change. I took apart the trigger mechanism to see if I could make the hammer fall harder and as I was taking off the main spring it went flying off into the man cave. I've searched that room to no avail. Got on line to buy a new one and found a couple of sources only to discover that all those sources are sold out of the right handed spring.

Help!!!

Prof Young
Old March 17, 2024, 10:42 AM   #2
jcj54

It may be that the hammer recess is not coming close enough to the nipple to pinch the cap. Try backing the nipple out a half turn at a time and see what happens.
Old March 17, 2024, 10:42 AM   #3
Oliver Sudden

Hope you find a spring. As to why the first place I look on a CVA is the face of the hammer. Often the cup doesn’t hit the nipple well centered. Next is the hammer touching the wood at any point.
Old March 17, 2024, 01:07 PM   #4
Prof Young

Thanks and . . .

Thanks. I did try backing the nipple out, and there was no success then either. But yeah, the hammer is not hitting the nipple dead center. I'm not sure how to fix that. Is it possible to bend the hammer without breaking it.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old March 17, 2024, 01:54 PM   #5
Oliver Sudden

It very common for CVA not to hit the nipple and many have worked on them. Many have tried to do it the easy way and broken them. What works is to determine what bending is needed then remove the hammer from the lock and grip the flat area where the square hole is in a vice. Heat to a dull red the neck of the hammer then bend to the correct shape. Allow to cool then do what is necessary to match the finish.
Old March 26, 2024, 11:15 PM   #6
Gbro

I have learned a long time ago when a part takes wings and you think you know were it went, well start looking 180 deg from where you think, and use a magnet.
Old March 27, 2024, 08:43 AM   #7
Prof Young

Alternate dimension . . .

Gbro:

I've literally taken that room apart looking for that spring. And it's not a small spring. About a 1/4 inch wide and couple inches long. I think it's jumped in to an alternate dimension of reality.

On the upside, that room is cleaner and more well organized now.

In the mean time Midwest Gun Work has the part in stock and one is on it's way.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old March 27, 2024, 07:11 PM   #8
44 Dave

I had the spring from a .380 clip take off, looked and looked then later found it had landed on a shelf.