The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 25, 2024, 12:36 PM   #1
liv4spd

Is there such a pistol?

Is there such a pistol that is so amazing, after you buy it, you no longer want to add one more gun to your stockpile?

Last edited by liv4spd; March 25, 2024 at 01:10 PM.
Old March 25, 2024, 12:55 PM   #2
44 AMP
Staff

Not that I am aware of...and, if there is such a thing DON'T TELL ME!!!!!
Old March 25, 2024, 01:25 PM   #3
bedbugbilly

Hmmmmm . . . . if such a thing truly exists, and you find it . . . I'm sure there are many, MANY wives that will want to know . . . of course, it you tell them, you'll lose your "Men's Club" membership, so think long and hard before you divulge the secret!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old March 25, 2024, 01:28 PM   #4
Jim Watson

Must have been, because there is nothing I am seriously in the market for.
Old March 25, 2024, 01:44 PM   #5
Recycled bullet

That's interesting. Would it be the one handgun to rule them all or would it be the Philosopher's Stone of handguns?
Old March 25, 2024, 03:57 PM   #6
Skans

the Sig X-Five.
Old March 25, 2024, 04:38 PM   #7
bac1023

Unfortunately not for me. I have all the high end pistols and nothing has stopped me from buying more.
Old March 25, 2024, 06:01 PM   #8
SqueezeCocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skans View Post
the Sig X-Five.
As long as it's a real X5 made in Germany at the Sig Mastershop. Not that Exeter abomination they are trying to push as an X5.
Old March 25, 2024, 06:37 PM   #9
44 AMP
Staff

It does not matter, to wield the One Ring, you must BE Sauron, and that's not me.
Old March 25, 2024, 06:58 PM   #10
PzGren

I have competed in DSB/UIT matches for over four decades, shot IDPA, steel plates, all kind of competitions and always looked for a gun that would give me an advantage. I can very well live with the accuracy in slow fire of the SIG P210-6, or an accurized 1911. In rimfire matches the Hammerli International was amazing and brought me more consistent results than the Gehmann Walther GSP. The S&W 14-2 was a charm and no gun I have bought can shoot better, especially with my declining eye sight.
In speed shooting I have found no way around a good 1911 but could do as well with a revolver. In bowling pin shoots the 625 was the one that ruled.
In the darkness of Haiti, where I lived for many years and stood out and was targeted I trusted a Glock 19 and a Glock 17 in the handgun department and found them to perform sufficiently.
Here, in the hot Texas summers I carry a SIG Sauer P365.

To make it easily digestible, there are guns for many purposes but few enough people that love the shooting sport, for them a High Point will do the job.
Old March 25, 2024, 07:01 PM   #11
reddog81

My most recent purchases was a S&W Spec Series M&P 9mm 2.0 and its a pretty sweet gun. I probably don't need any more after buying that one...

Of course now that I have started down the modern S&W semi-auto rabbit hole, a 10mm M&P would make sense... And there's that new blued Colt Python... And if Colt comes out with the Anaconda in 45 Colt i'll buy that... And...
Old March 25, 2024, 07:04 PM   #12
PzGren

My oldest son is a great handgunner. When my kids grew up we went shooting several times every week and put 110,000 rounds through a S&W 22A, that we used as a warm up gun before we went to centerfire.
His younger brother and I were not just shocked when he told us that he had bought a High Point 9mm, we were rather devastated. Nevertheless, my oldest son shoots that thing and gets the falling plates positively at 15 yards. I was present when he shot it first time at ten yards in leisurely rapid fire.

My lifetime of shooting convinced me that 80% of shooters cannot shoot any handgun better than that.

Old March 25, 2024, 07:23 PM   #13
stuckinthe60s

yes. its the one that when you point it at what you want to hit, it goes right where you aim....over and over and over.
NSSA All American, Skeet/Trap Range Owner
Old March 25, 2024, 09:15 PM   #14
tangolima

Owe some money, or lose your job. You will find out fast.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old March 25, 2024, 10:54 PM   #15
SqueezeCocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangolima View Post
Owe some money, or lose your job. You will find out fast.

-TL

That's why I pay cash money for all my firearms.
Old March 25, 2024, 11:09 PM   #16
tangolima

Quote:
Originally Posted by SqueezeCocker View Post
If I still have cash. It wouldn't go if that cash has been ear marked to pay the next mortgage bill. I was there once. The pistol I had at the time looked perfect, and it still does today.

There was a m1a in the shop for $800. I had always wanted that rifle. The salesman tried hard to sell. I was mighty tempted. But I just couldn't as I was unemployed. 2008 was the year.

-TL

Old March 26, 2024, 04:50 PM   #17
jmr40

Most all of them. But after a while something else comes along that I want to try. Sometimes I decide the new gun isn't an improvement and I let the new one go. Sometimes I find a better mouse trap and let the old one go.

Quote:
I've owned a butt load of firearms over the years. Probably 90% were bought 2nd hand and probably 99% for cash. If I shop carefully, I can usually get my money back, or at least most of it if it doesn't work out. If I keep it long enough, I can almost always sell it for more than I paid. Patience is important. It's a lot harder to do that when buying new.

In rare cases I'll pull out the CC if I find a deal and don't have the cash in my pocket. I can afford it and don't usually carry a balance on the cards.

A couple of weeks ago I was in an Academy and spied a Shadow Systems 9mm for $550. Those normally sell for $700 to well over $1000. MSPR on this one was $700. I was an hour away from home. It didn't make sense to make a 2 hour round trip to go home and get cash.

Winston Churchill
Old March 26, 2024, 08:12 PM   #18
veprdude

A fully functioning Rogak P18.
Old March 27, 2024, 08:33 AM   #19
Prof Young

The real question is . . .

When I first started shooting I'd ask these generic questions about what is best, or what should I get etc. And the answer always is . . . for what purpose?
You want an SD handgun? Yeah, there probably is one that ends your search and you don't buy anymore. For me it was the Sig 365, with safety. You want a gun that is just fun to shoot? I've been through dozens and that search will never end. You want gun to hunt with? What are you hunting and how much fire power do you need to knock it down?

One gun to rule them all . . . aint going to happen out side of the world of fiction.

Life is good.

Prof Young
Old March 27, 2024, 02:01 PM   #20
Sevens

Quote:
Is there such a pistol that is so amazing, after you buy it, you no longer want to add one more gun to your stockpile?
This has never happened to me. I can list many reasons why I **SHOULD** convince myself to never buy another handgun, but in the end... I think God meant for me to live my life fully, take care of my responsibilities and enjoy life, and for me that includes chasing guns.

With that said...

I have absolutely gotten a handgun, taken my first ever shots with it, and my first thought beyond all others was absolutely, "okay, owning just one of these is not enough of these."

The main factor for this beyond the pure joy from the experience of shooting it and the fact that it was fantastic was... they are long, long out of production. So when you know the supply is finite, it's a very short trip to "damn, I need to get another one."

The handgun: my first S&W Model 52. This one was built in 1982. These guns were made from 1961 to 1993. This first one that I got is extremely high condition, and I've since bought two others and I shoot both of those all the time. This first one sits in the safe.
Old March 27, 2024, 02:38 PM   #21
wild cat mccane

Like other said with P365 and an X-Five P226 with stainless steel frame Allround DA/SA and I would add LCP...

you'd pretty much bet left with guns that are just wants for something different, but zero increase in capability.
Old March 27, 2024, 10:33 PM   #22
FITASC

Cabot LH 1911
[IMG]https://i0.wp.com/cabotguns.com/wp-c...0%2C1280&ssl=1[/IMG]

Now to hit a small lotto so I can order one
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old March 27, 2024, 10:52 PM   #23
JohnKSa
Staff

I think if I could have put my hands on a Beretta Billennium some years back, I would have probably stopped buying handguns at that point. Of course, by then, I already had a good selection of pistols on hand so it wouldn't have been a "If I could only have one gun." type situation.
Old March 28, 2024, 08:11 AM   #24
PSP

Out of the 80 to 90 guns I own or have owned, the HK P2000sk is the one that floats my boat the most. I guess that qualifies for me as THE ONE, although I've acquired many others since 2005 when I found my favorite.
Old March 28, 2024, 08:26 AM   #25
liv4spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
Out of the 80 to 90 guns I own or have owned, the HK P2000sk is the one that floats my boat the most. I guess that qualifies for me as THE ONE, although I've acquired many others since 2005 when I found my favorite.
Interesting! This is the kind of answer I love to see, about an excellent gun at a reasonable price. Can you elaborate on what's so great about the P2000SK?