The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 20, 2024, 06:48 PM   #1
jakespappy

Accepting solutions to P220 9mm heel release magazine shortage

Greetings everyone. I've been google and forum trawling for everything i can find to get some mags for a gift. The firearm has more ID's than lon chaney. Its a west german Sig Sauer P220..swiss army P75...Browning BDA in 9mm with euro heel release. No fooling...its known by these three names. I saw that its gonna be tough and probably more expensive than anyone would think because most postings about this already go back years but i have to try. Can anyone offer a place to buy any 9 round flat floorplate mags for this model. Seems theres been a shortage of these magazines for a long time by what i've seen.
Old February 20, 2024, 08:02 PM   #2
44caliberkid

I have one in 45. eBay is a good source for mags, but wait for ones that are true zero start auctions, expect to pay $45 - $65. Sometimes you’ll get lucky and get one for less. Best deals are from sellers who aren’t gun people. There will be some for immediate sale, but they’ll want $100 - $125. Any on GB will also be high. Do Not buy the Triple K mags. They function but they don’t insert and remove smoothly. They also are only slightly cheaper than factory mags. Look at the pics carefully and make sure they say Sig on them. Hold out for real factory mags. There is a Sig box and two mags on GB right now, plus a single mag for $85. Nothing currently on eBay except a Triple K.
Old February 20, 2024, 11:22 PM   #3
44 AMP
Staff

I have a BDA 45. Along with a few original magazines I have some that have the cuts for the push button mag catch. With the "bumper" on the baseplate removed, these mags lock in place and feed properly in my BDA with its heel clip magazine catch.

While I don't know for sure, I suspect the same would apply to the 9mm versions.

I would suggest getting your hands on one of the 9mm mags made for the "american" version and checking to see if it will work with the heel clip gun. I think it will, if the base pad is removed or relief cut for the heel clip.

Those 9mm mags aren't common or cheap, since the P220 series has been out of production for a while, but, if you can use the "American" pushbutton mags by removing the bumper pad, it would give you another source for useable magazines.
Old February 21, 2024, 07:32 PM   #4
Shadow9mm

Get a new gun! New (to you) guns come with new (to you) magazines. You could get the same gun and have a matching set (and or a doner gun being a full set of spare parts). Or you could get a different gun with easier to acquire magazines. Either way this is a perfect excuse to get a new gun!

Last edited by Shadow9mm; February 21, 2024 at 10:02 PM.
Old February 21, 2024, 09:59 PM   #5
jsbethel

Western Gun Parts sells them on Gunbroker - $50 for one or $95 for two plus $20 shipping. Listings are under BDA 9mm or P220 9mm.
Old February 22, 2024, 03:26 PM   #6
jakespappy

I'm grateful for all the help you guys gave. Thank you for all your suggestions and the time to respond.