The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 11, 2024, 10:15 AM   #1
Mastrogiacomo

Uplula loader issues.

I was at the range recently having been away from shooting for a while. I'm a care giver for my parents and my mother required a lot of our presence. So, I used my Beretta and I'm loading the mags the night before the range, and I noticed that the loader was pushing the tip of the bullet down for some. I removed each bullet and noticed some were stuck in a downward position. Naturally at the range, the gun jammed at one point and wasn't easy to clear. This happened several times. Why is this an issue? I ended up having to load by hand and only got four in and this is how the range session went. Is it me not clear on how to use this mag loader? I find it hard to believe that every single mag has a spring issue. Appreciate any feedback.

Laura
Old February 11, 2024, 11:16 AM   #2
Lurch37

Not sure which Beretta or cartridge your using, single stack or double stack mag? I know with my double stack mags and the Uplula there is a process of squeezing, which places the little metal Uplula feed ramp in the correct place and then either pushing or pulling down on the Uplula body, which moves your ammo stack down inside the mag, allowing a fresh cartridge to be placed on the ramp and laid atop the lower cartridge.

If you don't have the Uplula ramp back far enough by squeezing, it could push down on the nose of the lower cartridge as you push or pull the Uplula body down. The Uplula has a little tab that locks the squeezing parts together so make sure that's unlocked and open.

Here's their link you could check out and maybe it could help.

https://www.maglula.com/product/uplula/
Old February 11, 2024, 11:57 AM   #3
Mastrogiacomo

This is a 92FS standard, but in all fairness, I tried this with a Sig XL too and I was frustrated that this kept happening - not with all the bullets but a few, and yet it only takes a few to screw everything up at the range.
Old February 11, 2024, 03:56 PM   #4
jetinteriorguy

The only way I can see this happening is if you’re not squeezing the Uplula all the way so it’s only pushing on the bullet, not the case. Unless I’m misunderstanding your post.
Old February 11, 2024, 04:02 PM   #5
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
The only way I can see this happening is if you’re not squeezing the Uplula all the way so it’s only pushing on the bullet, not the case. Unless I’m misunderstanding your post.

Agreed, this is the only thing I can imagine.
Old February 11, 2024, 04:11 PM   #6
JohnKSa
Staff

• Squeeze the UPLULA all the way closed and hold it all the way closed for the next steps.
  • Push down as far as it will go.
  • Slide a round into the magazine on top of the metal "beak" of the loader.
  • Release the UPLULA so it opens and the metal beak slides out from under the round.
  • Lift it up and start again at the top.

When you're done loading a mag, you can tap the back of the magazine on a solid surface to seat the rounds to the rear of the mag. You don't need to slam it or anything, it doesn't take much to move the rounds to the rear.
Old February 11, 2024, 05:00 PM   #7
Mastrogiacomo

Thanks for the suggestions, folks, I'll be working with it.
Old February 12, 2024, 02:17 AM   #8
Sevens

I own an UpLula and I can see the appeal. One tool works across many different magazines.

Even still, I was loading mags on a lot of pistol before this unit came to market. And back in the 90’s, I was using the HKS magazine loader. The rub here for many is that each different loader is basically tailored to a specific magazine, or at least a very small range of very similar magazines.

That said, an HKS magazine loading tool is not excessively priced ($10-$14) and in my opinion with decades of use… I like it —MUCH— better than the UpLula. What I like most is that I don’t need a flat/hard or table-like surface (or my knee or thigh) to make it function. It simply uses a long downward sweep of my thumb.

If you cannot get the UpLula to make you happy, I definitely suggest the HKS.
Old February 12, 2024, 11:50 AM   #9
Hellcat1

Assuming that your Sig XL is a P365XL, I have a suggestion for you. Since my P365XL is my EDC, I actually have a dedicated Uplula for it, which I've modified a bit so as to fit the magazine a little better. I glued a 3/16" wooden spacer inside, onto the back of the Uplula housing, which forces the magazine all the way to the front; otherwise, because of the difference in depth between the magazine and the Uplula, there's too much back and forth movement. This helps ensure that the ammo is inserted more like how it's supposed to be. Here are a couple of photos illustrating what I'm talking about:

For those who aren't aware, P365 magazines are an absolute bear to load without the help of an Uplula or similar mag loading device. In fact, the magazine shown above is a 12 round magazine that's been neutered to 10 rounds because of the passage of a recent law in my wonderful state, and the last round is virtually impossible to load without the help of the Uplula...and even with it, it's very difficult.

I hope this helps!

Frank
Old February 12, 2024, 07:04 PM   #10
FITASC

I have the 365 and the XL, along with Glocks, HK P7s, and other 9mm and use the same Uplula with ZERO issues. I guess I am not understanding where the difficulty is coming from.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old February 23, 2024, 02:07 PM   #11
logeorge

Magazine Loader

There were at one time a lot of Chinese knock-offs of Uplula loaders being sold on Amazon. Some are very difficult to tell from the real thing, even down to the packaging and instruction sheets. I have a couple of them myself they seem to work OK, but I had to tinker with one to get it to work. Haven't used them much, so I can't say how durable they are.
Old February 23, 2024, 02:21 PM   #12
Ricklin

Buy the vendor first

Especially in recent years with the rise of Amazon and others. Knock off junk is the order of the day. Every Chinese businessman without exception has told me, In China it is an honor to be copied. Typically stated while laughing. They are also excellent at manufacturing fake safety agency approval labeling. Learn who you are doing business with, are they an authorized dealer for Uplula? That's been the best method I have found to avoid Chinese junk, dealers that have earned the ability to sell well recognized excellent brands will not jeopardize that ability by selling cheap knock offs. Manufacturer policies have been evolving to stem the flood of junk. Buying the dealer first is the best method I've found to assure getting what I paid for.