The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Closed Thread

Old October 22, 2017, 03:30 PM   #51
disseminator

FWIW, I have never had to adjust my Dillon swager for different case head thickness or any other reason, I took the unit out of the box and have done thousands of rounds of range brass without any problems whatever. There is no need to run the swage all the way to the bottom of the primer pocket. It only needs to touch the crimped portion and push it out of the way.
Old October 22, 2017, 04:34 PM   #52
BOOGIE the oily

Interesting thread. Too bad I didn't see it earlier.
Anyway, at the risk of getting it somewhat back on topic ( ), I'm gonna tell you guys my experience with Harbor Freight.

I knew of its existence through a customer of mine, back in 2003 or 2004. Started buying some cheap stuff, to try it out, and soon enough I was visiting the store 3 times a week, sometimes 4.
I ended having over $8000 in HF stuff, including hand tools, electric, battery powered, pneumatic, you name it. I had a full mechanics, carpentry, metalworking, electricity, and paint shop, from a few hammers, to a metal lathe, bench drill, mig welder, several paint guns, air compressor, air hammers (they were dirt cheap, and I kept forgetting I had bought them already, so I ended up with 4 of them), and a very long list of etceteras.
Only once I had a problem with one of their tools: I used an air hammer to clean up a water pump head that was caked up with more than 1/2" of calcium deposits everywhere, and the return spring broke. Went to the store and they gave me a new spring, no questions asked, and, since they had to take the spring off a brand new air hammer, they also gave me the 5 chisels that came with it.

So, @ OP: sorry you had a bad experience with HF, but, at least in MY experience, they sell anything but junk. I only wish they opened a store here in Buenos Aires...

"Alcohol doesn't solve anything, but then again, neither does milk."
Old October 22, 2017, 07:06 PM   #53
tangolima

I have been going to HF for about 15 years. I still go there, but less and less. They don't really sell junk. Whatever they sell, they copy it from somebody. They problem is they haven't done a good job copying, although they are improving. Their stuff works but just not good enough. I ended up spending time to improve the tool to make it work good better. Most of the time I have to give up and buy the the real one. I spend more money and time. The worst part is now I have to beg people to take over the cheap tool. They are reluctant to accept the gift even it is free. Somehow the cheap tool turns into liability.

-TL

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old October 22, 2017, 07:21 PM   #54
ShootistPRS

Harbor Freight buys from jobbers and some stores buy from the same jobber.
Look at the engine hoist that Sears sells and then look at Harbor Freight - same exact tool.
You can find other places that sell the same drill presses and socket sets that are sold at Harbor Freight for less. At least Harbor Freight allows you a 30 day guarantee.
If you buy a complete set of screwdrivers for $5.98 and then complain about it being junk, well that's on you.
Old October 23, 2017, 08:56 AM   #55
Mike Irwin
Staff

OK, we're starting to get pretty far afield of the original topic.

This isn't about who sources tools from where.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old October 23, 2017, 11:06 AM   #56
Marco Califo

Ok to close thread. I made my alert.
Old October 26, 2017, 02:26 AM   #57
Marco Califo

Got my refund.
"Not satisfied with product" was the category of my complaint.

Tags
primer crimp removal