The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 30, 2002, 09:19 PM   #1
KeithC

OK, really dumb Mossberg vs. Winchester question

I've been looking (and searching archives) for a home/camp defense/knock-around shotgun and - like a bunch of other folks, apparently - am trying to choose between a Win 1300 Defender and a Mossberg 590.

I can find Winchesters in local shops, but not Mossbergs (they carry them, just out of stock). I like the 1300 but find that I'm reaching a bit for the pump. I haven't owned a pump (Mossberg 500) in about 5 years but don't remember that awkward feeling.

So, dumb question time: Is there a difference in the distance between the receiver and the pump between the two manufacturers or is the pump on the Mossy longer? Maybe I'm just out of practice. :-)

Thanks much, folks.

Keith
Old May 1, 2002, 12:35 AM   #2
Brasso

I can't give you any hard numbers, but to me the 1300 also feels like more of a stretch. I much prefer the 590.
Old May 1, 2002, 04:35 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Dunno about which handle is longer, but my guess is the stock on the 1300 is longer. A bit of shortening will fix nicely.

If you're less than 5'8" and take less than a 33" short sleeve, the standard stocks are probably a bit too long, especially for "Serious" work.

HTH, and the only really dumb questions are those that do not get asked...
Old May 1, 2002, 09:39 AM   #4
KeithC

Reach and such

Dave, I've always said that the only dumb questions are those unasked, but that doesn't mean there aren't lots of dumb people asking questions.

Seriously, though, I'm about 5'11" with a 32/33 sleeve (or at least I was, the last time I had to buy a shirt that didn't pull over my head). The length of pull from shoulder to trigger actually felt just fine - very comfortable, actually - but it was the reach to the pump with my non-firing hand that just felt... I don't know, a bit stretched. When I swung into position naturally, I found my hand just behind the pump, with only my index finger and part of my "abrupt lane change" finger actually *on* the pump itself. It is seriously possible that I just need to make my body "relearn" - the only long gun I've been shooting regularly is my Shorty AR - but I'd still like to confirm that there aren't real spec differences between the brands before dropping any coin.

Brasso, nice to know I'm not the only person that noticed. Doesn't mean we're not nuts, just that we're not *lonely* nuts. I may have found a place that's got a Mossy in stock and I'll try to heft it today. If I notice a difference, I'll flat out measure the rails before leaving the store and post the results!

Thanks again,
Keith C.
Old May 2, 2002, 08:11 PM   #5
Kevan

I'm 5'7" and I don't find the 1300 pump too hard to reach. But perhaps it's what one feels hisself.