The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 26, 2024, 09:22 PM   #26
Jim Watson

Every “dimpled” magazine I got stuck with in AWB 1994-2004 was also “lanced”. Drilling out the dimples would cause the magazine to fall apart.
Magazine restrictions had to be approved by BATF as not “readily convertible.”
The trend was to over-restrict, lots of “9 1/2” round mags or magazines that will hold ten but with no slack to let them be inserted under a closed slide.
I have a couple of 9 round AR magazines.
Old March 26, 2024, 10:04 PM   #27
TunnelRat

Gun manufacturers that care about gun owners from liberal states

Quote:
Originally Posted by veprdude View Post
Not a Glock fanboy by any means but most manufacturers don't bother producing 10 round magazines for legacy guns in any real capacity.

What? A number of manufacturers produce 10 rd magazines. Once again, the CA roster is searchable, by manufacturer even. Anyone here can look at it.

I’m not sure why we are speculating on whether it makes sense for a gun manufacturer to do business in CA. Obviously a number of manufacturers have already decided it does, and some haven’t. I don’t think it’s a stretch to suggest that those manufacturers have a better idea of what makes business sense for them than those of us here, unless someone is claiming some insider knowledge.

Last edited by TunnelRat; March 26, 2024 at 10:11 PM.
Old March 27, 2024, 12:53 PM   #28
Mike P. Wagner

I suspect “care” needs to be carefully defined as “making enough revenue from weapons/magazines specifically designed for those states to make a profit from those weapons/magazines.”

The question is whether people who are currently not buying weapons/magazines right now would buy weapons/magazines designed specifically for those states.

If someone is currently buying the crippled magazines, etc., then there may be no revenue benefit if they switch to magazines designed for those states - no net increase in revenue. They aren’t buying more magazines - just different magazines.

If people are willing to buy crippled magazines and those magazines don’t require additional investment in design testing over standard capacity magazines, specially designed magazines will probably not generated much in the way of addition revenue - while generating addition design/testing costs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old March 27, 2024, 01:06 PM   #29
wild cat mccane

I think the Walther P99 mag design is the true answer to the question, if dimple isn't wanted. I think the question doesn't actually have an answer though.

There just isn't a way to make a double stack gun a single stack. I mean there are, but not really.
Old March 27, 2024, 04:20 PM   #30
Pumpkin

After seeing the modifications done to “assault” rifle pistol grips (Barf) for some states I can see why some manufacturers don’t want to play those big brother games. Same states will be making your HEMI illegal before next.
Old March 27, 2024, 04:45 PM   #31
jar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P. Wagner View Post
I suspect “care” needs to be carefully defined as “making enough revenue from weapons/magazines specifically designed for those states to make a profit from those weapons/magazines.”

The question is whether people who are currently not buying weapons/magazines right now would buy weapons/magazines designed specifically for those states.

If someone is currently buying the crippled magazines, etc., then there may be no revenue benefit if they switch to magazines designed for those states - no net increase in revenue. They aren’t buying more magazines - just different magazines.

If people are willing to buy crippled magazines and those magazines don’t require additional investment in design testing over standard capacity magazines, specially designed magazines will probably not generated much in the way of addition revenue - while generating addition design/testing costs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was around when the first magazine limitations went into effect and quite honestly I didn't make any difference in what I bought or carried. Today I try to make sure I have a ten round magazine for any pistol that takes higher capacity ones and regularly carry and practice with them. But I don't feel any less protected with a five round revolver than with an eighteen round Sig P226.
Old March 27, 2024, 05:40 PM   #32
44 AMP
Staff

Talked to a friend today, who just got back from the local gunshop. Said he saw a very nice Browning HP there, with no magazine. The state 10 shot limit means the gun can't be sold with the original magazine, and the shop didn't have any 10 rounders to sell with the gun.

Price was $250,,, and it was sold right away.