The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 22, 2010, 07:50 PM   #1
slimshot

Berger 70 gr VLD's in .224

Was just given some of these from a buddy who wants to go with lighter bullets for his AR. He knew I hand-loaded 69 gr Sierra Match kings for our 200 yard matches, and thought I could use them. Question is, is there any benefit from shooting these VLD's out of my 1 in 8 20" at 200 yards? Any drawbacks? What should I look for if switching to them from the SMK's? Would appreciate any insights....
Old June 25, 2010, 01:01 PM   #2
amamnn

If you E-mail Berger, either Brian Litz or Walt Berger will no doubt be glad to answer any questions you have about that bullet. You can also call.

http://www.bergerbullets.com/About%2...tact%20Us.html
Old June 25, 2010, 01:21 PM   #3
kraigwy

Quote:
Question is, is there any benefit from shooting these VLD's out of my 1 in 8 20" at 200 yards?
Simple solution, buy a box and see. We cant tell you, what works in our guns may or may not work in yours.

I've tried bergers in my WOA Upper, they dont shoot as well (with MY load and MY rifle) as SMKs but I've heard other people shooting Bergers that have differant results.

Somebody, and I dont remember who, (maybe some one will chim in) was breaking down boxes and selling in lots of 10 or so, so as a guy wouldnt have to buy a whole box to find out if they worked.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old June 25, 2010, 02:51 PM   #4
Scorch

That's a lot of questions built into one.

First, you probably will not be able to get the 70 gr Bergers to feed from the mag of your rifle, the ogive on that bullet is very long. If you are going to single load, not an issue.

Next: at 200 yds, you will see very little benefit to going to a bullet like the Bergers, the real benefit of that bullet is seen at 400 yds +. VLD (very low drag) bullets will drop less and retain more velocity at longer range than a less pointy design like the SMK you are used to.

Last: Bergers can be a little temperamental, and it takes some fiddling to find the right load, distance from lands, etc. Once you find it, they shoot great, but they are not a short-range bullet.