The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 31, 1999, 04:00 PM   #1
sere101
Retired Screen Name

I live in the SE and am 6ft and @ 220. I want to get your suggestions/input/experiences on what may be suitable leather holsters for concealed carry. I currently carry (IWB)a S&W 640 in a Galco WB122(?) and it is fine but it is no USP 45. Thanks in advance.
BTW: I have cruised sites like GALCO, WILSON, BIANCHI,MITCH ROSEN, etc and they have some great looking holsters, belts, and mag holders.

[This message has been edited by sere101 (edited August 31, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by sere101 (edited August 31, 1999).]
Old August 31, 1999, 06:10 PM   #2
shamster

Mitch Rosen makes excellent holsters...top of the line. The others you mentioned are good too.
M/D Enterprises has good review too ( www.gunsandgold.com ).
Another holster maker to try, who is not as famous, is Matt DelFatti. He is a true custom maker. Only makes holsters at night, as he is a full time LEO. You can check out his designs at personalpages.tds.net/~delfatti . If you don't see something you like, he will work with you on a personal design. Excellent craftsmanship too.
Old October 15, 1999, 01:33 AM   #3
jcoleman

I have a USP 40 fs and if SE means "Southeast", then I live there too. The holster that I have and highly recommend is Blade-Tech's Concealex SOB. The USP is a true full-sized weapon, but the style of this type carry really helps conceal that bulge. I've been able to carry it with just a T-shirt tucked in front and out in the back and whennlater asking friends if they could tell, they replied that they had no idea I had even brought it with me. Any untucked shirt (if you're able to wear two layers, i.e., undershirt and outer-, it works even better by pulling the undershirt over the holster, though not in any way inhibiting easy access, and having the outershirt over both) will work if its tails are regular length. Jackets, blazers, etc., of course go without saying.
http://www.blade-tech.com

John Coleman
Old October 15, 1999, 07:49 PM   #4
ATM

sere101 -
If you are really set on carrying the USP 45, then get the best holster, MItch Rosen. As noted his gear is top of the line, and always fits well. I especially like the fitted nature of the holster/belt combination. This really helps make the weight of the gun seem less. I spend upto 12 hours a day, 1-2 days a week working at a range. I can where whatever holster I want, and I have tried many different brands. Mitch Rosens comes out on top, because the gun does not move around, sag, or otherwise tell me it is there. I set it up in the morning and it is in the same spot later that day. I sometimes forget I have it on.
While others offer good products, the combined system Mitch offers is unbeatable in my mind for comfort and style (he does make a good looking product).
KYDEX is good stuff (several different sources) if you can stand the rigidity. I find I cannot, especially in an IWB rig. It also is impervious to environment in a way leather never can be.
Good luck!

------------------
Freedom is not Free