The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old April 12, 2018, 12:02 PM   #1
ndking1126

Check my understanding on 6.5 Grendel

Hello, I'm hoping someone can confirm what I understand about all the 6.5 Grendel variants. I've done a lot of reading, but mostly the conversation quickly turns into emotional arguing over specs and technicalities. That's not what I'm interested in.

I'm really hoping this post completely stays away from the 1) history of the 6.5 Grendel and all variants and 2) which chamber/bolt/version is better. I'm really hoping to get at the "so what?" or "what does it mean to me?" of the matter so I can make decisions on how to move forward.

Here are my specific questions:

1. I bought a complete 6.5 Grendel upper with BCG. It doesn't specify SAAMI or GII. If I was going to replace my barrel, regardless of which one I currently have, I should be able to use my same BCG with a barrel chambered in either 6.5 Grendel (SAAMI) or 6.5 Grendel II (GII)? My understanding is they are the same neck diameter and bolt face depth.

2. Regardless of going with SAAMI or GII, I should expect to safely shoot off-the-shelf ammo labeled as "6.5 Grendel"?

3. Ultimately, the difference between SAAMI and GII is that SAAMI has a compound throat with a variance allowed in throat length (.023-.120"), while the GII has a parallel throat and a specified throat length (.120")?

Thank you!
Old April 12, 2018, 03:07 PM   #2
Damon555

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. Yes
Old April 13, 2018, 09:30 PM   #3
ndking1126

Easy enough, thanks!