The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 21, 2013, 05:12 PM   #1
gadawg31

M1 Carbine Casting

I apologize if this is in the wrong forum, but I didn't see anyting in the classifieds section. I am trying to find a bullet mold for casting 110-115gr bullets for my m1 carbine. I have scoured ebay and the internet, but only to find the ones with gas check. I prefer to stay away from those. Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks.

JD
Old January 21, 2013, 06:58 PM   #2
m&p45acp10+1

I looked into the same thing myself recently, and started a thread on here. The group consensu was if not shooting out of a revolver then gas checks would be needed to prevent the gas port from clogging. If that happens it is a pain the posterior to clean out. I decided to just bulk order jacketed bullets. If you are loading for something like a Ruger Black Hawk then go witout the gas checks, and keep the velocity down.
Old January 21, 2013, 07:07 PM   #3
kraigwy

Try Lees 90301, 32-20 100 grn bullet.

http://leeprecision.com/search.php?mode=search&page=1

Mine cast .312, I use it unsized in my Nagant 7.62X38 R (tumble lubed) and I run it, (after tumble lubing) through a .309 sizer die.

It does not call for a gas check but it is accurage in both my Nagant revovler and my USGI (Underwood) M1 Carbine.

I load 15 grns of 296 with this bullet and it's pretty close to the sight settings on my Carbine that I use for jacketed bullets.

Great little practice round, cheap to shoot, easy on the gun, brass and shooter.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old January 21, 2013, 07:10 PM   #4
jcwit

I have used with complete satisification the Lee mold that throws a 100 grain flat base bullet #90301, sized to .310, and lubed with my own lube. Leading? Nope I get none, bright shinney barrel just like a .22 using quality ammo. Gas system problems? Not after 7 years and 1,000's of rounds.

Maybe I'm just a Good Little Elf.

Beat me to it kraig.
Old January 21, 2013, 08:14 PM   #5
m&p45acp10+1

You guys just had to come on and say that. Where were you when I made a thread about it?

Looks like I am goning to have to order another mold much to my wife's dismay. Though I was going to order one for her Mosin Nagant anyway so I may get to save a bit on the shipping.
Old January 22, 2013, 06:56 AM   #6
gadawg31

Thanks ya'll, I'll look into that for sure. As many as these guns that are out there, you would think there would be a bigger fan base for casting bullets. Oh well, more for me. LOL!

JD
Old January 22, 2013, 12:03 PM   #7
cobra81

Kraig,
So are you shooting the 90301 bullet unsized and without a gas check in your M1 carbine?
You mentioned running them through a .309 sizing die; is that what you do for Carbine usage?
I am thinking of getting this mold.
Old January 22, 2013, 12:24 PM   #8
kraigwy

Quote:
Kraig,
So are you shooting the 90301 bullet unsized and without a gas check in your M1 carbine?
You mentioned running them through a .309 sizing die; is that what you do for Carbine usage?
I am thinking of getting this mold.
Yes I don't use gas checks w/this bullet. For the Carbine I tired shooting them unsized (like with my Nagant revolver) and sizing to .308.

I get the best accuracy sizing to .309 out of my Underwood Carbine. I use lee tumble lube. I don't get any excess leading nor problems with the gas cylinder.

All guns are different so you may have to pick and choose your sizing die. I got real poor accuracy when I sized the bullets for my Nagant 7.62X38R revolver.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071