The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old April 3, 2024, 03:49 PM   #1
baddarryl

Serb M1924

Hi all. I have a line on what appears to be a non sanitized M1924. It is not a 24/47 and appears to be a troop bring back. It has no import marks and is very very clean with good rifling. The numbers I can see match, but I haven't had the bolt apart. It has a sporter stock and has been drilled and tapped to accept a side mounted scope mount that allows use of the sights. I tried to pull the bolt, but the scope is too low to for the safety to clear. I was going to remove the mount to see the markings underneath, but the action would have to be removed to access the lower screw and I don't know how to do that. Help?

I honestly don't really care that's it's sporterized as it will just another deer rifle most likely.

I am wondering what it is worth as pricing on M1924's is tough. It is at another Pawn Shop of the company I work for. I know the gentleman they bought it from and he always has nice firearms. I can get it for about $950. I'll also take it to a gunsmith to verify caliber etc. We were told it is original 8mm Mauser. Thanks for your help. Here is a link to pics:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/2ldgs...ods62oryc&dl=0

Last edited by baddarryl; April 3, 2024 at 06:37 PM.
Old April 4, 2024, 02:44 PM   #2
44 AMP
Staff

If you move the safety to the OFF position, it will clear the scope and you can remove the bolt. Which, I see from one of the pictures you already know how to do.

It is a less common variant of the Mauser 98, and the stock replacement and scope mount mean it has zero value to military collectors, and sadly the market value of sporterized Mausers (no matter how nice) is crap.

I wouldn't pay $950 for it.

To remove the stock, use a properly fitting screwdriver and remove the two screws from the triggerguard. The barreled action can then be removed from the stock.

Get a book or look up how to disassemble a Mauser 98. The process is common to all models.
Old April 4, 2024, 07:52 PM   #3
baddarryl

Thank you. I went to an armory today with these same questions and he said the same thing. I am going to pass on it. He had some amazing examples in there and I'll like get one at a more than fair price.