The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 22, 2022, 11:24 AM   #51
RickB

CAUTION: The following post (or a page linked to) includes or discusses loading data not covered by currently published sources of tested data for this cartridge (QuickLOAD or Gordon's Reloading Tool data is not professionally tested). USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assumes any liability for any damage or injury resulting from the use of this information.

I've loaded just about every bullet weight, from 135 to 200.
With bullets lighter than 180, 10mm doesn't really do much you can't do with a .40, so I stick to the heavier weights.

I spent quite a bit of time developing what I call "Cooper's Intent" loads; while what we got from Norma, circa 1983, was 200grs at over 1200fps, the cartridge was not intended to be a "magnum", it was supposed to supplant .45 ACP as a service pistol cartridge, and Cooper wanted a 200gr with impact velocity of 1000fps, which, at reasonable handgun distances, means a muzzle velocity of 1050-1100fps.

Such ballistics are achievable with a number of powders.

Last edited by RickB; February 22, 2022 at 12:21 PM.
Old February 22, 2022, 11:39 AM   #52
Unclenick
Staff

RickB,

I note that some of those loads are above the powder distributor's top loads, though I haven't checked all sources for them. If you have published data on them that's fine, but if not, you need to include the required disclaimer at the top of your post.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old February 22, 2022, 07:01 PM   #53
kilotanker22

I don't want a 200 grain bullet at 1300 fps, lol. Going to the 155 grain bullets has more than one purpose. At higher velocities I am hoping the 155 grain bullets will penetrate less and dump more energy into my target, potentially not even exiting a human torso in a defensive situation. I am also confident that the lighter bullets will have less perceived recoil.

When comparing most published load data, the 10mm will push bullets of all weights several hundred fps faster than the 40S&W. Coincidentally, I intend to shoot the same bullets, and the same powder for my 40 S&W. Speaking of the powder, I am very satisfied with this powder after today's test. I am going to increase.my charge weight by .2 grains and see where that gets me. As of right now, I have no intention of loading above published data. I don't think it would benefit me in any way.
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old February 27, 2022, 10:04 PM   #54
kilotanker22

I increased my charge weight with the 155 grain bullets by .2 grains and got about 20 fps increase in velocity. Although the velocity spreads was tighter this time around. At Hodgdon's published max load for this powder and bullet, I am right about 60fps shy of the heir published velocity. Given that my barrel is 1.2" shorter than theirs, I am confident that I am right about where I should be. I don't think that I will be pushing this any further. I believe that a 155 grain bullet at 1350 fps is sufficient for defense.

I also tested the 180 grain XTP bullet and got an average velocity of 1115 fps using Hodgdon's published maximum load for this powder and bullet. These were about 90 fps slower than Hodgdon's data. Again, with my shorter barrel, I think my results are consistent with their data.

I also shot a 13 round string of SIG Elite Performance 180 grain V-Crown ammunition. Average velocity there was 1280 fps. I may end up buying some A#7 and #9 to see if I can gety 180 grain bullets up to that speed.
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old February 28, 2022, 07:56 PM   #55
Kram

Hey fellas, I don't see any love for Unique or 231. My 10mm is a Glock 20SF and I'm using the Hornady 180 grain XTP bullet. I have a little BE-86 to play with. From what I have read BE-86 is Unique with a flash "inhibitor" (maybe the wrong word there)

Have any of you had any good results with any these components?

Thanks again
fish
Old February 28, 2022, 11:46 PM   #56
kilotanker22

I have been loading with Hornady XTP bullets. As far as the powders go, I have not used any of those you have listed. I am still very new at loading for this cartridge. CFE pistol seems to keep me with good velocity spreads and SD. Although, velocity seems a little low for full power loads, however the loads I have tried so far are several thousand psi short of the SAAMI max pressure for this cartridge. I have no real signs of excessive pressure, but this gun beats brass up pretty good on ejection. The cartridge base does not get damaged at all. Instead, when the case is ejected, the side of the case impacts a sharp corner on the ejection port on the slide. This leaves a crease in the case at this location. After firing again the crease is pressed out, only to be introduced again on ejection. After three loads this gun is splitting cases. I don't believe this is due to excessive pressure because this happened even with the lower charge weights and lower velocity factory rounds have been getting these creases. I am considering rounding off the section where the cases are impacting the slide of ejection in hopes to extend brass life.
– St. Augustine
Old March 1, 2022, 09:14 AM   #57
steve4102

Quote:
With Blue Dot, V-V N-105, and Longshot, it's 180's at 1300 fps in a 5" barrel. Longshot will get 200's to 1200 fps
Note that Hodgdon has changed its load data using 180’s and Longshot, from 9.5gr as Max to 8.2gr as Max
Old March 1, 2022, 11:30 AM   #58
kilotanker22

Hornady also shows a max charge of 8.2 grains Longshot, and Sierra lists a max charge of 8.5 grains. This would lead me to believe that the new listing is legitimate.
– St. Augustine
Old March 1, 2022, 01:43 PM   #59
steve4102

Quote:
Hornady also shows a max charge of 8.2 grains Longshot, and Sierra lists a max charge of 8.5 grains. This would lead me to believe that the new listing is legitimate.
Possible, cept Hornady also lists a Max of 7.3gr Longshot with 200gr bullet whereas Hodgdon list 8.2gr as Max for 200gr bullets.

Hodgdon data is the same for the 180gr and the 200gr, Hornady is not.

Sierra, does not use pressure testing equipment so their data is suspect at best.

If you look close you will also see that Hodgdon load data using longshot is unchanged across the board, except for the 180gr 10mm.
Old March 1, 2022, 03:35 PM   #60
kilotanker22

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve4102 View Post
Possible, cept Hornady also lists a Max of 7.3gr Longshot with 200gr bullet whereas Hodgdon list 8.2gr as Max for 200gr bullets.

Hodgdon data is the same for the 180gr and the 200gr, Hornady is not.

Sierra, does not use pressure testing equipment so their data is suspect at best.

If you look close you will also see that Hodgdon load data using longshot is unchanged across the board, except for the 180gr 10mm.
Sierra says they used a universal receiver in the testing for that cartridge. I would have trouble understanding why a main player in the bullet manufacturing industry would use a universal receiver without using some sort of pressure testing technology.

Hornady used a Colt Delta elite for testing. When all three companies' data seems to agree, I would suspect that the data is accurate. I would wager that the Hodgdon's 200 grain data is the misprint.
– St. Augustine
Old March 1, 2022, 04:34 PM   #61
steve4102

Been posted here many times, Sierra dies not have or use pressure testing equipment, they do it the same way we do, they read brass and velocities, in other words they guess.
Old March 1, 2022, 06:34 PM   #62
kilotanker22

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve4102 View Post
Been posted here many times, Sierra dies not have or use pressure testing equipment, they do it the same way we do, they read brass and velocities, in other words they guess.
I did not realize that. Still kinda messes with my mind a little.
– St. Augustine

Last edited by kilotanker22; March 1, 2022 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Fat Thumbs!
Old March 3, 2022, 06:10 PM   #63
Unclenick
Staff

I think they hire out testing of their maximum loads now, just to be sure they aren't over SAAMI MAP. That's what Hornady described doing in one of their print manuals (IIRC, they actually borrowed pressure barrels and transducers to run their top loads). But the loads are not worked up by pressure gun for these manuals as they are for commercial load manufacturing. Though I note photos of Hornady's facility appear to show barrels with strain gauges on them now. That would mean they are getting pressure numbers, but not by the SAAMI standard method. Still, it's better than no data, and then confirming just the max loads by the SAAMI method later (likely done for liability reasons) would work fine.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 5, 2022, 12:40 PM   #64
kilotanker22

Hodgdon's, listed max loads for this powder are listed with a pressure of several thousand PSI lower than the SAAMI MAP for the 10mm auto. This powder also leaves plenty of room in the case below the bullet. I think that I may increase the load by a small amount and see where that leads me. Hodgdon lists loads for other powders with the same bullets at a higher pressure than they list CFE Pistol. I will make my increments small and report back here with my results.

I am trying to see 1200 fps with a 180-grain bullet and 1400 fps with a 155-grain bullet. I have confidence that this can be done with the powder I currently have safely. The only other powder I can get locally that would be appropriate for this cartridge are Power Pistol, and A#7
– St. Augustine
Old March 5, 2022, 08:02 PM   #65
kilotanker22

I tried a slightly increased charge weight. The 180 grain bullets I loaded today averaged 1160 fps, with a standard deviation of 4.8 fps, extreme spread was 16 fps. This was for a ten-round string.
– St. Augustine
Old March 5, 2022, 08:11 PM   #66
kilotanker22

At the same time, I have increased the charge weight twice for the 155 grain bullets. The load I tested today was .2 grains more than last week and I actually lost velocity. The velocity spread was nothing to brag about either. Overall, I am going to blame this on the brass. For the 155-grain load from today, I used a different manufacturer's brass. I had some S&B from a previous range visit so I loaded that brass. The S&B brass weighs ten grains less than the Sig Sauer nickel plated brass I have.

I am going to put together the same load, while using the thicker Sig Sauer brass and chronograph them tomorrow. The 180 grain load I mentioned earlier was using nickel plated brass from Sig Sauer.
– St. Augustine
Old March 6, 2022, 09:51 AM   #67
ragsflh

180gr bullets .use blue dot,800x,pistol powder
Old March 20, 2022, 07:03 PM   #68
kilotanker22

Managed to finally conclude my testing of CFE Pistol and the 10mm auto with both 155 and 180 grain bullets. I make a full post with data later, after I am done working.
– St. Augustine
Old March 20, 2022, 10:24 PM   #69
kilotanker22

CAUTION: The following post (or a page linked to) includes or discusses loading data not covered by currently published sources of tested data for this cartridge (QuickLOAD or Gordon's Reloading Tool data is not professionally tested). USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assumes any liability for any damage or injury resulting from the use of this information.

I have finished developing the loads I plan to use for the XDM Elite 10mm I have. The bullets are 155 grain XTP, and 180 grain XTP. Powder is CFE Pistol.
The data I started with was from Hodgdon. I am using Sig Sauer nickel plated brass from their Elite performance V-Crown ammunition. Primers are Federal GM155M large magnum pistol match primers. All loaded on my single stage Rock Chucker. I use my Rock Chucker for all defensive ammunition, especially during load development. Charges were dropped using the RCBS Uniflow powder measure. All cartridges were seated to have an OAL of 1.255".

Let us start with the 155-grain load. My goal was to reach 1400 fps with a powder that I have on hand or available nearby. The only powder I had that was appropriate and available was CFE Pistol. After reviewing published data I decided CFE pistol would be ok. Plus I load 45 Auto, 9mm Luger, 40 S&W with it as well. Needless to say, published data did not get me there. I gradually increased charge weights until arriving at the ones I will list here today. I still have no signs of over-pressure at all. All my tested velocities are with Labradar and well within standard velocity ranges for this cartridge.

155 XTP, 9.8 grains CFE Pistol

Avg 1390
SD 8.7
ES 24

180 XTP, 8.3 grains CFE Pistol

Avg 1213
SD 6.4
ES 21

Both loads shoot quite well. At 15 yards I shot a seven-round group with each. Both shot about 1.5" off hand. I am sure this gun would do better from a solid rest. The attached photo is of the group with the 155 grain XTP. I pulled one shot low and left. That was all me. I have no signs of excessive pressure. No cratering, no flattening, no smiles, no bulging, nothing I can find.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 275442398_945380782784439_8556588965207088697_n.jpg (391.7 KB, 16 views)
– St. Augustine