The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 23, 2009, 05:19 PM   #1
dougbull

New Pt 99 question?

I just bought a new pt 99 af. I broke it down or field stripped it and noticed under the slide under the firing pin that one side is smooth the other very rough almost like it had been on a grinding wheel or some thing. So I cleaned it and took it to the range. It worked fine did 100 rds. Cleaned it when to range did 150rds. Gun works fine. I just wondered if is normal ? Does any one else have a pt 99? THANKS FOR HELP. Look at right side of slide.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gun slide.jpg (231.0 KB, 28 views)
Old July 23, 2009, 05:51 PM   #2
Sevens

Picture doesn't give much help...
I wouldn't say I'm shocked to hear that a Taurus missed some QC. You are at a crossroads with it in my opinion.

On one hand, it seems to shoot fine, so don't worry about it. Keep shooting and put a few THOUSAND down range and see if it continues to perform.

On the other hand, I'm sure Taurus would make it right if you contacted them and sent them the pistol. BUT... that would cost cash up front for the shipping (Taurus won't pay for it) and then you will wait for an ungodly number of weeks (some folks wait many MONTHS) for it to return.

As for the general consensus on the PT-99? It's one of Taurus' best models, hands down. Most folks, both Taurus lovers and Taurus haters all seem to agree that the PT92/99 is likely the best quality handgun they've shipped.

I bought mine new in '94 and it runs and runs and runs. These days, I feed it 125gr LRN and 124gr Plated, all handloads, and it eats 'em up. Stick with Taurus or Mec-Gar magazines for best operation.
Old July 23, 2009, 06:50 PM   #3
txstang84

It's probably a good way to save a few dollars per unit on production costs...the side your describing is the side with the firing pin block, correct? I'll have to check in a few days when I make it home, but I believe my PT99AF pre-decocker model is the same way.

But, if it continues to operate as advertised, and shows no ill habits, keep shooting!