The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 25, 2019, 03:41 PM   #1
E.J.W.

Oversize LRNFP's for a Blackhawk

My mid-70's vintage 45 Colt Blackhawk has very big cylinder mouths.
I've been getting .454" 250gr LRNFP's at 12 BNH made for me (don't have the setup to cast my own) but the "one man shop" supplier is retiring from the bullet business soon. So I saw that Missouri Bullet mentions "custom sizing" available, I sent an e-mail and left a voice mail but it's been two weeks and don't have a reply yet.
I'm looking for suggestions on bullet casters that do custom sizing. One that you have dealt with and had a good experience?
Thanks
E.
Old February 25, 2019, 08:28 PM   #2
Real Gun

I had the same issue with a similar gun and was using bullets from Lucky13, crimping over the leading band.
Old February 25, 2019, 09:46 PM   #3
44 AMP
Staff

just wondering, how does it shoot with regular commercial cast bullets? (.452")??
Old February 25, 2019, 09:48 PM   #4
oley55

Bear Tooth Bullets

the finest custom cast bullets in the USA can be found right here. And they have a heck of a lot of great information on their website as well.

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/

click the tab "shopping Cart" then scroll down to bullet selection. I see some 255gr available. another drop down for each bllet design/weight with sizes available. I saw .454" listed.

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/bulletselect/index.htm

Last edited by oley55; February 25, 2019 at 09:58 PM.
Old February 26, 2019, 07:48 AM   #5
bull bob

Try Matt's Bullets, mattsbullets.com, they have some 260 gr Keith style sized at .454.
Old February 26, 2019, 12:31 PM   #6
E.J.W.

AMP 44,
The 452's I started with - over various powders & grains of each (est 800-900 fps load) would not do better than a 4 - 5" group at 50 ft from a sand bag rest and leaded up the barrel. Moving up to the 454's closed the group size to an acceptable 2.5 - 3", but the leading issue in the barrel was still there.
We tried going up to 18 BHN - leading got worse. Went down to 12 BHN at the recommendation of my gunsmith and the leading became mostly non-existent.
So it looks like the softer lead is able to orbitrate better and seal the barrel.
I did get a reply from Missouri - no extra charge for the 454 sizing, just need to order minimum of 2 boxes. No 12 BHN though.
Badman Bullets is the closest so far at 15 BHN in a .454 size.
Thanks to all on the suggested bullet makers - I will definitely check all of them out.
E.
Old February 26, 2019, 03:10 PM   #7
Pathfinder45

You should measure your cylinder's throats to know what the actual dimensions are. This might also be a good time to take up bullet casting.
Old February 26, 2019, 03:38 PM   #8
BBarn

E.J.W.

Are you sure Missoiri Bullet Co. won't provide 45 Cal. 250 gr LRNFP in brinell 12? Their standard offerings (.452") include that caliber and weight bullet in both BHN 18 (standard) and BHN 12 (cowboy).
Old February 26, 2019, 03:40 PM   #9
E.J.W.

Pathfinder,
We did measure the throats, all were .454".
This was done to confirm both the size and uniformity.
I'm sure molten metal is highly prohibited in the condo's we are at. I got written up for cooking hot dogs on a propane fueled portable grille out in the parking lot - tailgate style.
I was in the process of shopping equipment to start casting in my brothers out garage, but he moved (due to job transfer) and sold his place.
Hope they never find out one kitchen cabinet has gun powder in it instead of dishes.
Thanks
E.
Old February 26, 2019, 04:51 PM   #10
Real Gun

All the 45 Cal revolver bullets I checked for Penn Bullets include a .454 sizing option.
Old February 26, 2019, 06:24 PM   #11
74A95

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.J.W. View Post
So it looks like the softer lead is able to orbitrate better and seal the barrel.
E.
Obturate
Old February 26, 2019, 07:30 PM   #12
USSR

E.J.W.,

Where abouts are you in New York? I size several bullets to .454" and .455". And, since I cast them myself, I can make them any hardness I want. The commercial casters have done a great job making guys think they need the super hard bullets they sell.

Don
Old February 26, 2019, 09:47 PM   #13
E.J.W.

74A95, I knew the word, but was unsure of the spelling. Used Google and look what happened.
Thanks for the correction.

BBarn, the reply said the 454's would be 18. That's all I know at this point.

USSR,
On the outskirts of Buffalo.
I had a voice message today from a small local gun store some miles east of home. They have a customer that casts and sells through their store. Allegedly he does custom work so I gave permission for the store to forward my info to this person. If it doesn't work out then maybe we'll discuss it more.
Thanks.
Old February 26, 2019, 10:57 PM   #14
rural12

EJW...you could buy a couple of thousand before he retires...they could last a couple of years depending on how much you shoot. In that time, you could have another supplier. And, .454 bullets will be no problem to find...45 colt is .452 and most guys will shoot .453 or .454 cast bullets even if their bore and throats are dead on .452. If I had not dumped all of my Colt guns and bullet molds, I would be happy to supply you some whenever you needed them.