The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old April 16, 2011, 06:09 PM   #1
Glockfan35

Auto or Revolver for EDC

Which would you choose? My personal EDC is a Glock 26, which I normally carry IWB or in my pocket. But I sometimes get the urge to carry my Bodyguard .38 Special. This thread is purely for my own curiosity, not really looking to buy any more handguns for awhile. I would like to get another rifle or two, but that's for another category and another time!
Old April 16, 2011, 06:37 PM   #2
BikerRN

I carry both, often at the same time.

As a pocket gun, or on the ankle, a revolver is hard to beat in my opinion.

Biker
Old April 16, 2011, 07:59 PM   #3
dpetreikis

My carry choices lean rather heavily toward semi-autos, but I do carry the odd revolver from time to time and am considering picking up an ankle rig for my Taurus model 85UL.
Old April 16, 2011, 08:15 PM   #4
moose_nukelz

I will take an auto every time. IMO, a glock is really hard to beat; reliable, easy to use and will take full size mags in a compact/sub-compact gun for more rounds on a reload.
Old April 16, 2011, 08:34 PM   #5
glockcompact

I love my Kahr PM9. I carry it quite often. If I was to carry a revolver I would opt for one without an exposed hammer in .38. something I could shoot through a coat poket if need be. Otherwise I'll just keep my PM9.
Old April 16, 2011, 08:42 PM   #6
Glockfan35

I just can't wrap my head around the PM9, so

I CARRY THE GLOCK. But it's a free country and to each his own. I really do need to get another P-11, though. That was one of the best guns I ever had, as it was a pocketable 9mm that held 10 rounds plus one in the chamber AND an extra magazine. I guess I now know what I really need to look for at the next gun show I attend!!
Old April 16, 2011, 09:28 PM   #7
brabham78

I'm a semi auto guy in general - they are the reason that I'm a handgun enthusiast, but I've also owned and/or shot a lot of revolvers during the last 30+ years. At heart though, I'm a gear-head, and can't help but find semi autos to be more interesting.

I own some of the more reliable semi autos on the market (PPS, Kahr, CZ, Bersa, Ruger, S&W, and others), most are great guns based on my experience, but when it comes to the day to day - carry it and forget about it routine, none of my semi autos give me the warm fuzzies the way my revolver does.

Yes, revolvers can malfunction too, any mechanical device can, But over a period of 30+ years of fairly extensive shooting, my semi auto vs revolver malfunction ratio has been (conservatively) at least 100 to 1 in favor of revolvers. I'm not going to argue with those results, and I'm not going to argue with those who want to argue with those results......... I'm just going to take note of what I've leaned, and apply it to picking the kind of carry gun that has proven to be the most reliable for me.

Although I carry a revolver the vast majority of the time, I do sometimes carry my semi autos (as I said, they are my favorite kind of gun), and do not feel poorly armed while doing it, but the revolver is the one I trust the most.

Last edited by brabham78; April 16, 2011 at 09:40 PM.
Old April 17, 2011, 05:54 PM   #8
Glockfan35

To brabham78:

If you don't mind me asking, as your post has piqued my innate curiosity, what is your favorite auto. Do you lean more towards subcompacts (G26, XD9SC) ultracompacts (true "pocket pistols", i.e. P32, LCP, P380, P3AT), or do you like full-size guns (G17, M&P Full-Size, most 1911's)? As I said, I'm just curious as to what autos you would carry over carrying a snub-nosed revolver (which, contrary to popular belief, is not exactly the "go-to pocket gun" that some people think it is). I think my other EDC in an automatic would probably be the Glock 17 or the Glock 19. In a revolver, I'd go with the LCR, or a 642, or maybe even the Chiappa Rhino .357magnum!
Old April 17, 2011, 06:15 PM   #9
Daryl

I'll carry either; or both.

Depends on where I'm going, and what I'm doing. If I'm headed out to meander through the desert along the mexican border, I'll take the Glock 23 and an extra mag. If I'm going out for a steak with my wife, a J-frame is easy to conceal, and suits the occasion.

Daryl
Old April 17, 2011, 08:56 PM   #10
Bulzeye

Never had a failure with either my Glocks or my S&W revolvers. I carry a revolver just because of the weight.
Old April 17, 2011, 10:13 PM   #11
orionengnr

I enjoy both...

I carry semi autos in the spring/summer/fall and N-frame revolvers in the winter (because that is the only time I can conceal one in TX).

I no longer own a J-frame, because I have no use for them.
Old April 17, 2011, 10:32 PM   #12
shootniron

Both. BUT, I have really become partial to my 642 with CT grips and pocket carried for my lifestyle, also because I can have my hand on my gun without anyone being aware of it....and I can put lead on a target before it can be done from a holstered EDC.
Old April 17, 2011, 10:40 PM   #13
brabham78

Quote:
To brabham78:
If you don't mind me asking, as your post has piqued my innate curiosity, what is your favorite auto. Do you lean more towards subcompacts (G26, XD9SC) ultracompacts (true "pocket pistols", i.e. P32, LCP, P380, P3AT), or do you like full-size guns (G17, M&P Full-Size, most 1911's)? As I said, I'm just curious as to what autos you would carry over carrying a snub-nosed revolver (which, contrary to popular belief, is not exactly the "go-to pocket gun" that some people think it is). I think my other EDC in an automatic would probably be the Glock 17 or the Glock 19. In a revolver, I'd go with the LCR, or a 642, or maybe even the Chiappa Rhino .357magnum!
Glockfan35, since you've asked about some of my favorites: Not that I don't have a soft spot for several of my favorite semi autos, but there is one that stands out from the rest: It's my CZ 75 D Compact PCR. I tend to buy and sell guns quite a bit, mostly for the enjoyment of owning and experiencing a lot of different stuff in the gun world, and there's only the occasional gun that really pushes my buttons and becomes a permanent part of my collection. PCR is one of them, I'll always keep this one.

The daily carry revolver that I was referring to is a Smith & Wesson M&P 340. I carry it IWB during all but the hottest days of summer. When I need to pocket carry, I find that even the light weight J frames are a little too big for my pockets, so during those hot months when I'm wearing shorts n' tee shirt, I have an LCP that works very well in that role. Although it's far from being my favorite gun (from enthusiasts point of view), it seems well suited for comfortable summer pocket carry, so it is my favorite for that purpose.

And BTW, yes I do like full size pistols too. I'm thinking of picking up another40 very soon. Likely a SR40 or M&P40....... leaning toward the SR40, because just as was true with my SR9, it fits my hand better than the M&P

Last edited by brabham78; April 18, 2011 at 12:20 AM.
Old April 17, 2011, 11:23 PM   #14
Glockfan35

To Brabham78:

What caliber is the CZ? Out of all their offerings, I like the RAMI pistols the best, because they seem to fit better with my ccw situation.
Old April 18, 2011, 12:07 AM   #15
brabham78

The PCR is a 9mm.

The PCR and it's accessory rail equipped brother, the P-01, are generally thought to be CZ's premier CC guns. The 2075 Rami is a decent design, is not much smaller than the PCR (only about 1/2" shorter). Nothing against the Rami, I like them, but most people that know both guns (Rami and PCR) would say the PCR is in a different league.

Here's a link to a photo of the PCR with my PPS. As you can see, not a lot bigger than the very compact, single stack PPS, yet it's a 14+1 gun. With the CZ Custom Shop aluminum grips, it feels as thin as many single stacks guns.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3658124...n/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3658124...n/photostream/

As I said, I carry my revolver most of the time, but when I choose to carry one of my semi autos, this is one of my first choices.

Last edited by brabham78; April 18, 2011 at 09:50 AM.
Old April 18, 2011, 12:21 AM   #16
jhco50

I open carry. My carry arm is an Armscor M206 in .38 special, winter and summer. I don't feel unarmed and I feel comfortable with the reliability. I am not a fan of plastic, nor do I trust an automatic explicitly. I have seen them fail, but I have never in my 40 years of firearms experience ever had a revolver fail to fire.
Old April 18, 2011, 01:00 AM   #17
Andy Taylor

I have carried both. At the moment, I am leaning towards revolvers. I will undoubtably go back to bottomfeeders at some point.
Old April 18, 2011, 11:22 AM   #18
Glockfan35

To Andy Taylor:

If you open carry, why limit yourself to a snubbie? My personal choices for a revolver in open carry would be the following:
1. Colt Official Police
2 Smith&Wesson M&P
3. S&W .357 w/ a 4" bbl. (The Ky. State Police used to issue these, I can't remember what the model no. was)
In autos:
1. Glock 17
2. Glock 22
3. XD45
4. S&W 1076
5. Remington-Rand 1911
6. Glock 20
7. Ruger SR9 or SR40
8. M&P40 or M&P9
Old April 18, 2011, 02:33 PM   #19
Kreyzhorse

I usually carry one or the other. My semi is a full sized 1911 or a Ruger LCP. My other option is a S&W 637. All three of those see action in the rotation and each one has it's own niche.
Old April 18, 2011, 02:44 PM   #20
Deja vu

I carry a J-frame 357 magnum. I like it and never feel out gunned.

I don't trust Automatics for protection sense my wife got her Sig p238 that has never worked right.

The only auto I own is a Coonan Classic and that is a little large to be a CCW.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old April 18, 2011, 05:40 PM   #21
skoro

Auto or Revolver for EDC

It's all good. Just pick one. There's not a bad choice.
Old April 18, 2011, 07:03 PM   #22
ang4me

My attire and threat assessment determine whether I carry a full-size weapon or a smaller piece. For full-size weapons carry, I pack a 5" 1911 (S&W 1911PD), because I shoot it better than any other full-size handgun. When I need something a little more concealable, I go with a small revolver, (S&W Model 640) simply because I shoot it better and have more confidence in it than any other subcompact or pocket-carry guns I own.

Moral to the story: carry the gun that you shoot the best and which meets your needs for a given day.
Old April 18, 2011, 07:12 PM   #23
Usertag

For me a nice Kahr P380 strapped to my ankle.
Old April 18, 2011, 07:33 PM   #24
Seaman

Glockfan35 ---

With a lightweight Bodyguard 38 in an IWB and a Glock 26 on the ankle you've got a terriffic EDC package to meet just about any threat.

The S&W Bodyguard gives you exceptional draw speed and accuracy, not to mention DA with SA option...is there a better close quarters rough and tumble gun on the planet? And if you've emptied your 5, then there is your Glock 26 on the ankle.

Only thing better would be a Glock 36 on the ankle. You're OK, go buy that rifle.
Old April 18, 2011, 07:51 PM   #25
Glockfan35

You've got it slightly backwards

Actually, it's the other way other around. The Glock is carried IWB at approx. 3:00, while I carry the .38 on my left ankle. I have much more trust in a 9mm Glock than I do in a .38 revolver. I can also carry either or, which I sometimes do. Either one would be good as a stand-alone EDC, but the Glock is usually what I grab first when I head out. The important thing is that I carry what I'm comfortable with, and carry everyday.

Tags
automatic , ccw , curiosity , edc , revolver