The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 19, 2009, 05:45 PM   #1
ilmonster

Shortages over...

Well, I went to a local gun show today, the first one since spring and where earlier this year after Obama was elected I didn't see powder, primers, etc. there were examples of all reloading components for sale. In addition, there were Colt 6920's for $1,100 (vs. $1900 in spring), Colt 6940's for $1,400, etc.
Looks like the run on gun stuff is finally over!
Old December 19, 2009, 06:38 PM   #2
rbernie

Quote:
The gun bubble popped about 4 months ago
The summer was pretty busy still for most of my local FFLs, when they usually are pretty slow. Prices have dropped some, but are still a bit above pre-bubble levels for most things.

I suspect that a slow economy has hurt the bubble more than anything else. Just yesterday, I watched two WASRs sold to folk who had no other long guns but who just wanted to own SOMETHING like an AK. They sold because they were priced back under $400.

I'm not sure that reloading supplies are back yet, tho. Bullets are easier to find (and cheaper than they were in 2008) but primers are still hard to find and double the cost that they sold for in 2008.

Last edited by Bud Helms; December 21, 2009 at 05:18 AM. Reason: politics
Old December 19, 2009, 09:06 PM   #3
freakshow10mm

Yup, the AR15 sector crashed back in March. I was smart and quickly liquidated everything I had then. Glad I did. Now that the market and demand is back to normal, I can begin where I was and start making ARs again.

Primers should be about another 6 months out before we are seeing normal monthly shipments. I think demand will be a bit higher than a year ago and people will keep deeper stock in the future.
Old December 20, 2009, 05:32 PM   #4
xd1984

i was just talking to my neighbor today about the shortage. but my concern will be all the primers being used with the extra 30000 troops being sent to afghanistan. do yall think that is going to put a shortage of primers or just the fedral primers.
Old December 20, 2009, 11:36 PM   #5
Sky Master

Went to the Gander Mountain in Geneva IL today, shelves full of all kinds of ammo and upwards of 40k in large and small pistol and rifle primers. At $4.99/100.
Old December 21, 2009, 12:57 AM   #6
Dodge DeBoulet

CCI SP primers at Powder Valley for $24 per 1000. Buying as little as 2K will be significantly cheaper than Gander Mountain, even factoring in the hazmat and shipping charges. Buy 10K and save a lot
Old December 21, 2009, 05:15 AM   #7
Bud Helms

This thread just thinned out and one Warning has been sent.

Cut the politics.
Old December 21, 2009, 11:19 AM   #8
rude robert

sorry Bud but I have a ??. Im a bit slow and a bit confused?? what did you mean by what you said in the above thread please explain if you don't mind so I will understand, so i dont do anything wrong thx
Old December 21, 2009, 12:08 PM   #9
freakshow10mm

Don't talk about politics. Clear enough?
Old December 21, 2009, 12:30 PM   #10
Don P

Quote:
sorry Bud but I have a ??. I'm a bit slow and a bit confused?? what did you mean by what you said in the above thread please explain if you don't mind so I will understand, so i dont do anything wrong thx
Quote:
Don't talk about politics. Clear enough
The posts were deleted by the moderator. That is why it didn't make sense to you.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old December 21, 2009, 01:35 PM   #11
JWT

Not sure I'd say it's completely over but the supply of most ammo has increased significantly. Some calibers - .380 for example - are almost nowhere to be found, at least in the Tucson area.
Old December 21, 2009, 09:10 PM   #12
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

Sorry about that, I made an offhand and innocuous comment about Congress and gun control and did not realize it would stir up a hornet's nest (although I guess I should know better by now). I never saw the following comments but that's probably what got out of hand.

As far as the bubble, my dealer has about 15 AR's on the shelf and they're not going anywhere. He's dropped prices on most of them but still no takers.
Old December 22, 2009, 05:07 AM   #13
Bud Helms

rude robert,

The Firing Line has tried to allow political discussions in the past, but depending on the political season, state of the economy and political headlines of the moment, it can get completely out of hand and intrudes on our purpose here.

Quote:
Sorry about that, I made an offhand and innocuous comment about Congress and gun control and did not realize it would stir up a hornet's nest ...
Not to worry. But that is the problem. One political comment can take a discussion right off topic.

We have decided that partisan politics, whatever you may call it is off limits. That makes discussions of the Second Amendment decidedly difficult, but that is one subject we do permit, in the proper forum and within strict rules of participation.

There is no lack of boards on the 'net to discuss politics, but this is a sanctuary for discussion of firearms and their responsible ownership.

'Hope that helps.

*Back to your regular program*
Old December 22, 2009, 12:55 PM   #14
Uncle Buck

I am definitely seeing more primers and powders on the shelves and more guns on the walls and in display cabinets. Prices are still a little higher than I like, but I believe those will come down a little bit.

I do not believe the extra 30,000 going to Afghanistan will make a difference. Most of the companies that are making components and ammunition have slowly caught up with the military demand and are now resuming trying to keep us civilians happy.
Old December 22, 2009, 06:34 PM   #15
ilmonster

As a poster said, Gander has plenty of ammo, but at prices 40% over any other store around. One store locally has .44 spcl ammo for $33/box. It's $49/box at Gander. Wonder who's buying at those prices?