The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 10, 2002, 05:51 PM   #1
green 788

Swedish Mauser military ammo, duplicate identified

I've just returned from the field with my two M96's, and I have good news to report for folks who want to duplicate the prickskytte Swede military 6.5 x 55 (M41) round.

Folks with the M96 Swedes who want to use the iron sight settings (300 meters to 2000 meters) may have success with the recipe I've identified here.

This military round was made by Norma and Hirtenberger, according to my sources, and used 46.3 grains of a powder called NC1220. The bullet was a 143 grain bullet, and NOT a 139 grain bullet as is often misreported. Weighing the pulled bullets from the very accurate Swedish military ammo showed bullet weight variations as much as .7 grains! But it shoots very well, nonetheless...

I examined some NC1220, and found it looked very much like Alliant's Reloder 22. Both the NC 1220 and the Reloader 22 were/are supposedly made by Bofors in Sweden. I burned some of each, and they smell the same. Volume tests of 46.3 grains of each powder (I obtained the NC1220 from disassembled M41 rounds) were the same as well.

I checked my reloading manuals, and found that 46.3 grains of RL22 is safe with the 142 grain Sierra Matchking in this chambering.

An aside: Please note that I am not introducing an unknown powder into a handload. That would be foolish. What I've done is to make some comparisons of an unknown powder with a known, existing powder.

I shot prone, from sandbags at 300 yards, and was of course using the M96's iron sights. (I don't "bubbadize" Swedes!) I fired two of the Swedish M41 prickskytte rounds at the target, and charted their impacts. The first was from an oiled barrel, and it hit about 4 inches low and 2 inches left. The second hit about where I expected it to, around 6 inches high (zero would be 300 meters, not yards).

I then fired five shots of the 142 grain Sierra Matchking pushed by 46.3 grains of RL22, and these came right in with the second M41 round, in a group that was just a shade over 4 inches (courtesy of one of those shots). Vertically, however, these rounds were all within 2 inches. The 4 inch spread was certainly due to whipping and reversing winds.

The wind subsided, and I fired three more of the 142 SMK/46.3 RL22 load, and two more of the M41 loads. All of these were MOA with the exception of one of the M41's, which went high enough to open the vertical group size up to a little over 4.5 inches. That could have been me, since lighting was getting tricky.

I smelled the fired cases of the M41's and the RL22 load, and the burned powder smelled the same...

I have tentatively concluded that 46.3 grains of RL22 and Sierra's 142 grain Matchking is the equivalent of the M41 prickskytte round. The Matchking is certainly a better bullet, and probably has the BC advantage since it is a hollow point. For this reason, the Sierra Matchking may hit a bit higher than the Swede's sight settings at ranges beyond about 600 meters.

One more thing worth mentioning. Four of the 142 grain Sierra Matchking rounds formed a vertical line, 1.75" in length, in the center of the target. Two more were within an inch of this group, one on each side. This gave me a near 2/3 MOA six shot group at 300 yards. Of course the rest of the shots opened this all up well beyond MOA if all dozen were counted. But all 12 shots, including wind blown shots and the M41 rounds, were well under 6 inches...

Under the right conditions, I would expect this to be a reliable MOA recipe, or perhaps better than that in a scoped rifle...

Dan
Old November 11, 2002, 10:03 PM   #2
green 788

Excellent question...

Don,

You're right that the original M96's had sights calibrated for the 156 grain ammo. When the Swedish military developed the M41 round, it was originally intended to be a sniper round only.

But the M41 "prickskytte" round was eventually adopted for all infantry rifles, and the sights on most of the M96's were altered (higher front sight installed) to follow the M41's trajectory.

According to my sources, the front sight base will have a "T" stamped on it if the rifle has been recalibrated for the M41 round.

My 1912 still has the 156 grain ammo sights, but my 1918 has the "T", which I believe stands for "torpedam" or something like that, which is the Swedish name for the "new" M41 bullet's shape. The stock disc will be marked to indicate how much to hold under at 100 meters, I think... I don't know how to interpret this... Maybe someone can help.

Anyway, thanks for asking the question. That's a matter that definitely needed to be cleared up...

Dan Newberry
green 788
Old November 12, 2002, 08:05 AM   #3
BJordan71

Thanks for sharing this. I have a 1942 Husqvarna M38 that really loves the M41 ball ammo. My wife bought me the Husky as a college graduation present and the dealer sold me a couple of boxes of ammo to go with it. My first trip to the range was at a 100 yards and with the iron sights, and some old, tired eyes, I managed 5 shots in about 4". I'll give this load a try.
TFL#12525
Old November 14, 2002, 08:23 PM   #4
Gewehr98

I've got 2 M-96's.

One's an 1899 Oberndorf, the other a 1907 Carl Gustaf. The front sights don't have a "T" on them, and my best sight regulation per the rear ladder's range settings is using my 160gr Hornady RN handloads, which I use to duplicate the original 156gr Swedish ammo.

Now, I still have to try making some 140gr 6.5x55 for my AG-42B Ljungman, I'm certain it wasn't intended for the older ammo. But it also needs a good gas pressure range, even though it's adjustable to a degree. I'm a big fan of Accurate Arms 4350 in my 6.5x55 loads.

Neural Misfires
Old November 14, 2002, 08:48 PM   #5
green 788

What powder charge with the 160's?

Gewehr98,

What powder and charge are you using to duplicate the 156's?

Just wondering... I have an Oberndorf M96-38 and it is regulated for the heavy bullets...

Thanks,

Dan
Old November 14, 2002, 08:59 PM   #6
Gewehr98

My 160gr load:

40.0 grains of Accurate XMR-4350, Winchester brass, Federal 210 primer, Hornady 160gr RN, moly-coated. Right around 2200fps from my M-96. Very accurate, I have one target on the I-love-me-wall which shows 5 rounds in the 10-ring at 100 yards, offhand. A couple are in the X, too. Wait until I finish my CG-63 target Swede clone... Gotta love those Swedish Mausers!

Neural Misfires