The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 22, 2024, 10:15 PM   #1
tomashek

Basic Sight Question

Here's a basic question on open sights.

I understand that with no dots, you align the top of the front sight with the top of the rear sight and when you have 3 dots you align the dot on the front sight in line horizontally with the 2 dots on the rear sight. I have a Springfield Armory SA-35 that has a dot on the front blade but no dots on the rear blade. My question is do I still align the tops of the front and rear blades and just use the dot as an aid to rapidly pick up the front sight or do I align the top of the rear blade with the center of the dot on the front blade?
Old March 23, 2024, 01:26 AM   #2
ballardw

The intent of the 3 dots is to make it easier to accomplish the alignment of the the top of the front sight blade with the top of the rear notch.
Similar with the single front dot.
Goal is the same alignment.

Note that with some rear sights it is possible to get the front sight blade off to one side and think the left or right "ear" of the rear sight is the front sight blade. The single dot clarifies that problem.
Old March 23, 2024, 03:20 AM   #3
JohnKSa
Staff

The dots are there for low visibility work and/or to make it easier to pick up the sights when shooting fast.

When you can see the sights clearly and have time to align them properly you should completely ignore the dots.
Old March 23, 2024, 04:51 PM   #4
tomashek

Thanks, Guys.
Old March 26, 2024, 02:34 AM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

Generally speaking with pistol sights, the goal is top of the front sight level with the top of the rear sight and centered in the notch. Desired point of impact is placed on the top of the front sight.

This is the standard service sight set up and of course, is only perfectly "on target" at one range with one load (bullet weight and speed).
Old March 26, 2024, 11:21 AM   #6
Nathan

Many good descriptions here. With all the time in the world, align the tops of all 3 and center the front sight between the rears.

When speed is more important than accuracy a single dot is fastest. Basically, put the single dot on what you want to hit and squeeze. Use muscle memory to get the front sight centered.

Three dots give you better accuracy, but are complicated enough to slow a person down.
Old March 26, 2024, 04:37 PM   #7
Jim Watson

Some guns - Sig in particular - are zeroed for a "combat hold" with the point of impact under the front dot, therefore much of the target blotted out.
Old March 26, 2024, 04:52 PM   #8
gwpercle

Aim however it takes to get the bullet to hit the target with the load you are using
and what feels comfortable for you . Guns are different , sights are different and loads are different ... many different ways to sight , whatever works for you ...is right for you .
I guess the single dot on the front sight is to help your eye pick it up ...
If that bothers you ... Paint It Black ... But practice with it , different sight puctures and holds with your favorite loads and see what works .
I shoot a lot of Bullseye Targets with black bulls ... I like a white dot or paint the front blade white and use a six o:clock hold on the targets ... It's all good , do what feels best and allows you accurate shooting !
Gary
Old March 26, 2024, 07:18 PM   #9
Sarge

Quote:
My question is do I still align the tops of the front and rear blades and just use the dot as an aid to rapidly pick up the front sight
Yes.
Old March 27, 2024, 11:12 AM   #10
jmr40

It depends on the gun. I always align the front of the sight so it is in line with the rear sights.

The POI with some of my guns is still at the top of the front sight even though it has a dot, or night sights on it. On others the POI is in the center of the dot

You're just going to have to shoot your gun and see where it hits.

Winston Churchill
Old March 28, 2024, 01:56 AM   #11
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
It depends on the gun.
It depends on the gun AND the ammo being used.

AND, it also depends on the shooter. Different people hold guns and look through the sights differently and that can make a difference on the precise point of impact in relation to the point of aim.

For example, my Dad sighted his pistols for center hold. Without changing the sights and using the same ammo, when I fired his pistols with a center hold, I hit above my target point. If I put the target on the top of the front sight I hit it in the center.

Another example, a friend and I were pinking with our scoped deer rifles. We traded rifles every shot. Without exception and very consistently, at 100yds, when I shot his rifle, my bullet was 1/2" off and when he shot mine, he was 1/2" off as well.

With your SA 35, if you can see the sights, line them up and use them. If you can't but can see the dot, put it in the notch and use it. You'll be slightly off for elevation, but at close ranges (defensive shooting) you'll be well within "minute of man". (had a friend check his SA 35 and with the sights properly aligned, the dot was about 3/4 of the way up from the bottom of the rear notch)
Old March 28, 2024, 05:38 PM   #12
DaleA

This thread cries out for illustrations/pictures.

Lesser folk than me have no problem posting photos and illustrations and all kinds of visuals here and I wish I could (it's a personal failing).

I'll just say go to the Google, click on 'Images' and then in the search box enter: 'sight pictures' and you'll get a vast visual variety of what is being discussed here.
Old March 28, 2024, 06:54 PM   #13
Shodan

Read and study all of these posts, digest all of the information, spend hours on Google ...

then get an optic.
Old March 28, 2024, 07:35 PM   #14
georgehwbush

shodan: true dat.