The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old May 10, 2022, 08:51 PM   #1
Dashunde

Long road trip then flying out of Las Vegas?

I have MO ccw permit and a road trip planned through the Southwest US. We’re flying into Denver and driving through CO, into Moab, Page AZ (Grand Canyon, Bryce, Zion, etc) then moving on to Las Vegas for a couple of days then fly home.

Its all pretty straightforward up to the NV line, then I get concerned about “peaceable journey” thru Nevada and out of Vegas.

Anyone do anything similar? How well does the airport/Southwest Airlines behave regarding declared firearms in checked luggage? I’ve flown into several states with MO reciprocity, but never out of a non-recip state.
(Of course, I wont carry in NV)
Old May 10, 2022, 10:01 PM   #2
44 AMP
Staff

Not an expert by any means, the last time I transported firearms on an aircraft was 2003 and out of NY.

That being said, if you find out, in advance, and DO everything the airlines says to do, every thing the TSA/Homeland Security says to do, and everything the state of Nevada says to do, and don't do ANY of the things they say not to do, what have they got to hassle you about???

you may be carrying in states where you're permitted to do so, but when you're someplace you're not, you don't carry, you're NOT "armed" you are transporting firearms and there is a significant legal difference there.

One thing is be sure if you have ammo along with the firearms, you need to comply with ALL the separation and container requirements.

Sometimes, its simpler to just ship your ammo to your destination. USMail, UPS, FedEx, what ever meet the requirements. For a bit of $ your ammo can be waiting for you when you get there, or shortly after...

Last time I flew with checked guns, the world was a much less paranoid place ..but that was nearly 20 years ago and a lot has changed since then.
Old May 10, 2022, 11:46 PM   #3
Aguila Blanca
Staff

https://handgunlaw.us/

Near the top of the home screen is a banner with an option for "Travel Links"
Jeepaholic
Old May 11, 2022, 06:22 AM   #4
Screwball

Definitely make sure you are in the right with TSA/airline policy, especially out of Vegas.

I flew armed (Federal L/E) out of there mid-April. The rank/file of TSA there were pretty good/personable, but the supervisor I dealt with was a complete jerk. Got the impression that if it was up to him (it’s not), I wouldn’t be flying armed. Even the TSOs were scratching their heads with the way he was talking to me.

One of the TSOs I dealt with while waiting 20 minutes for the supervisor to come over was promoting the following week, and maybe the supervisor had a bad day… but I’d just be squared away in case that one deals with you.

I’ve flown out of two other airports multiple times (checking pistols two other times), and never had an experience like that before.

But I’ve also had a coworker get jammed up because the airline agent at the counter didn’t tell anyone that he declared a checked firearm… which he did. If you check it, make sure they just don’t put it on the conveyor in the back.
Old May 11, 2022, 09:00 PM   #5
Dashunde

Thanks all. It appears the rules per Southwest are the same since I last flew (and checked one).

Looks like NV is “silent” on car carry, loaded in a console/glovebox appears legal, I think..

Last edited by Dashunde; May 11, 2022 at 09:05 PM.
Old May 11, 2022, 10:29 PM   #6
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Looks like NV is “silent” on car carry, loaded in a console/glovebox appears legal, I think..
I'd want to be very certain before I'd put myself at risk of being a test case.

Each state has its own rules and they're not all the same degree of sensible.

Depending on how the state looks at it, a loaded gun in the car console could be "carried" and so allowed, or it could be considered "transported" since its not physically on your person, and if so, then you may be in violation of transport of a loaded gun laws.

and since its in the console, it may be considered "concealed" for yet another dimension of complications.

There are jurisdictions which consider the gun "loaded" if there is ammunition in the same container, or both in the same compartment of the vehicle you are in.

You need to KNOW what the laws are where you are, and where you're going, an every where inbetween. it would be tragic if you wound up in court over something easily preventable with some research and forethought.
Old May 15, 2022, 06:21 AM   #7
stagpanther

Quote:
Definitely make sure you are in the right with TSA/airline policy, especially out of Vegas.
^^^^^most definitely this^^^^^

It is up to you to know what, if any additional requirements there may be if the firearm transfers anywhere along the air route. Don't assume the airline itself is going to know all the proper procedures for forwarding the firearm and the paperwork. One little slip up in proper documentation going all the way through to the destination and the firearm(s) could be gone forever with no remuneration to you worst case scenario. Happened to a friend with two of his best rifles (which I also happened to love to shoot).
Old May 15, 2022, 08:07 AM   #8
mehavey

Read Para-3:
https://www.shouselaw.com/nv/blog/mi...arran-airport/