The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old February 21, 2018, 01:36 PM   #1
hanleyfan

Ruger american .450 bushmaster rifle

Ruger recently came out with this rifle and I am thinking about getting one since my state only allows straight wall cartridges, money is a little tight right now so I am going to have to wait to get one, sometimes when a manufacture comes out with a new gun if it don't sell really well they discontinue it after a year. Do you thing this will happen with the ruger american bushmaster? I don't want to miss out.
Old February 21, 2018, 06:29 PM   #2
reynolds357

You can never tell what Ruger will do. The bolt 450 Bushmaster is definitely a niche item.
Old February 21, 2018, 11:46 PM   #3
CarJunkieLS1

Those things are selling like hotcakes in my area. And my state and neighboring states let you use about anything to deer hunt. I think in a year or two you'll be able to get one just fine, but 4-5 year range they may be gone by then.
Old February 22, 2018, 06:55 PM   #4
jmr40

I wouldn't want one unless I lived in an area like where you live. In that case I'd already have one in my safe. Those rifles have been selling by the truckload in certain states. They are even quite popular in some places where they would not be required. I don't expect that one to be dropped anytime soon.

Winston Churchill
Old February 22, 2018, 10:11 PM   #5
std7mag

We are allowed to use pretty much anything except semi auto here in PA.

I've been looking at one to fill the need for a short, light, stalking gun.
Thinking red dot.
Old February 22, 2018, 10:30 PM   #6
reynolds357

The 450 Bushmaster is an awesome Ar15 cartridge. I see no real purpose for it in a bolt except to meet a specific regulation/restriction.
Old February 22, 2018, 10:55 PM   #7
NateKirk

I wouldn't be too concerned. They sell pretty well here in Michigan, so I imagine there is no reason to stop production. Even so I wouldn't be worried I don't think it would be hard to find one used.

Awesome rifle by the way! I've got one and it's more than likely going to be my deer rifle for the rest of my life. Compact, lightweight, accurate, powerful... couldn't be happier.

― --Thomas Jefferson
Old February 23, 2018, 03:09 PM   #8
std7mag

Reynolds,

The 223 is a fine bolt gun cartridge.
Appearently so os the 6.5 Creed.
50 BMG..
Old February 23, 2018, 04:38 PM   #9
fourbore

std,

Absolutely, the usefulness is as much a function of the platform as the cartridge. If that Ruger 450 Ranch was offered in 444 marlin or 44mag it would remain a very useful gun. It comes in 450BM. I got one and expect it will be very useful. it has a purpose. I do recommend (non rambo) hunters remove the brake. If you just have to have a brake, then better invest in a good set of electronic ear muffs. Ruger concession to style? You sure dont need that.

Someone with an AR in 450 may have the added bonus of brass and dies ready to go. Or the 450 range rifle might popularize the AR uppers. Just like how we see 223 across all platforms.
Old March 9, 2018, 02:21 PM   #10
tpcollins

The 450 Bushmaster is legal in the shotgun only southern half of Michigan, my step-son bought that same Ruger. He says it's rather loud probably due to the 16" barrel. Personally I think it looks like a toy.

Fox Arms on Armslist.com modifies and sells the Savage Model 10 and 12 bolt actions in .308 with a custom 450 BM barrel, I bought the Model 12. At 100 yards it about the most accurate rifle in my gun cabinet.
Old March 11, 2018, 03:04 PM   #11
GeauxTide

Got my Bushmaster when they first came out to replace a Marlin 45-70 that I couldn't handle any more. 6#, recoils like a 20guage, and ridiculous accuracy. With Ruger bringing out in two models, and LH version, I'd say mainstream.
Old March 19, 2018, 07:33 PM   #12
Runs With Fire

Very accurate rifle. About three hundred yards max effective range. It's a gun Ruger kinda stumbled upon. A gun shop in Michigan actually came up with the idea. Put in a custom order for fifteen hundred. I have it on good authority that Ruger thought it was going to be a bust; until the shop called back for another fifteen hundred in two months. I'm surprised too. The .450 Bushmaster was dying from the get go. What made everyone suddenly realize they needed one? Now they stock them at Family Farm and Home in my town.
Old March 21, 2018, 03:36 PM   #13
sevt_chevelle

Quote:
Very accurate rifle. About three hundred yards max effective range. It's a gun Ruger kinda stumbled upon. A gun shop in Michigan actually came up with the idea. Put in a custom order for fifteen hundred. I have it on good authority that Ruger thought it was going to be a bust; until the shop called back for another fifteen hundred in two months. I'm surprised too. The .450 Bushmaster was dying from the get go. What made everyone suddenly realize they needed one? Now they stock them at Family Farm and Home in my town.
Easy states like Iowa, Ohio and a few others which have been muzzle loader and shotgun only just recently allowed rifles BUT ONLY if they fire a straight walled cartridge. I have an AR cambered in 450 BM for this purpose.
Old March 21, 2018, 08:11 PM   #14
Runs With Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevt_chevelle View Post
Easy states like Iowa, Ohio and a few others which have been muzzle loader and shotgun only just recently allowed rifles BUT ONLY if they fire a straight walled cartridge. I have an AR cambered in 450 BM for this purpose.
In Michigan you could always hunt with straight walled cartridges in rifles in the no rifle zone. The 450 Bushmaster isn't new anymore but I guess nobody either heard of it or wanted it until Ruger picked it up. I know alot of guys who bought one in the past twelve months. I will be waiting to see if any states change regulations to exclude this one, as it's really pushing beyond muzzleloader and shotgun territory.
Old March 22, 2018, 09:20 PM   #15
reynolds357

Quote:
In Michigan you could always hunt with straight walled cartridges in rifles in the no rifle zone. The 450 Bushmaster isn't new anymore but I guess nobody either heard of it or wanted it until Ruger picked it up. I know alot of guys who bought one in the past twelve months. I will be waiting to see if any states change regulations to exclude this one, as it's really pushing beyond muzzleloader and shotgun territory.
No, Bushmaster sold uppers faster than they could make them long before Ruger decided to chamber it.
Old April 7, 2018, 03:13 PM   #16
bamaranger

Ruger and the .450BM

You can never tell about Ruger and how long they might carry a model/cartridge combo. The only certain thing is that if the firearm does not yield the profit they are seeking, it will be gone. Lot's of my favorite Rugers are gone. If I wanted one (and they did turn my head, but I resisted) I'd get one as funds allow. Once the surge ebbs, they might get scarce.

I hunt a Ruger .44 tube feed carbine quite a bit, and for 100 yd woods/treestand hunting, it is plenty of gun, and distinctly handy. My experience with it, and watching my Dad hunt the .44 mag in a Win carbine, has led me to conclude that the .44 is plenty of deer medicine in the woods. That said, the .450 BM is just more of the same. I don't see it as a 300 yd cartridge as somebody mentioned, but it is flatter than the .44. The .450BM numbers exceed the .44 mag by quite a bit. And the Ruger Ranch seems like a rough and tumble no nonsense hunting rifle. I'd loose the antitank gun muzzle brake, mount a Leupold 1-4x on it like jmr40 advised, and hunt.
Old April 7, 2018, 03:20 PM   #17
Jim Watson

Main thing I have against this and other specialty caliber autos is their habit of throwing scarce brass in the weeds.
Old April 7, 2018, 08:13 PM   #18
reynolds357

Quote:
Main thing I have against this and other specialty caliber autos is their habit of throwing scarce brass in the weeds.
If it makes you feel better, until someone start a making a cheaper bullet suited to it, the 450 BM is not worth reloading.
The Hornaday factory ammo is hot and exceptionally accurate. My Ar. shoots .75 inch 125 yard 5 shot groups using Hornaday factory ammo.

Last edited by reynolds357; April 7, 2018 at 08:19 PM.