The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old February 3, 2024, 11:03 AM   #1
44caliberkid

I Had No Idea Rossi Was Making These

https://rossiusa.com/rifles/lever-ac...0-30-win-20-in

A Marlin clone 30-30. I saw two at the gun show last night. Satin finished metal but very nice wood. Also comes with black polymer furniture. Price was $750. The dealer had a lot of Rossi rifles in all the different configurations. Everything looked nice. I ended up buying a 22 Magnum semi-auto, because I didn’t have one.

Last edited by 44caliberkid; February 3, 2024 at 01:42 PM.
Old February 3, 2024, 11:40 AM   #2
stagpanther

I still wouldn't pay anything over $500 for one of their lever guns (having done so twice already)--they just aren't real-world quality IMO. I downloaded the manual and it looks to me like they still use the same rinky-dink magazine tube cap screw and single forearm band bolt to hold the tube and forearm in place in the receiver. I've actually had the mag tube and spring/follower chase after the bullet when fired.
Old February 3, 2024, 01:46 PM   #3
44caliberkid

My only experience with them is with my Rossi 92, 44-40. I bought it used from a cowboy action shooter who used it for several seasons and have just shot it recreationally since then, but no problems. It does have some really ugly stained mystery wood for stock though.
Old February 3, 2024, 01:51 PM   #4
stagpanther

Quote:
It does have some really ugly stained mystery wood for stock though.
It's basically the equivalent of balsa wood.
Old February 3, 2024, 01:56 PM   #5
Bill DeShivs

I doubt it's as soft as balsa wood.
Old February 3, 2024, 07:55 PM   #6
stagpanther

Quote:
I doubt it's as soft as balsa wood.
The two older ones I have are maybe not as soft as balsa wood--but they are certainly softer than any other wood I've ever seen on a firearm--it's probably some kind of Brazilian wood that's easy to machine. Maybe the "new generation" Rossis use better wood. I noticed that Braztech is now located in GA--hopefully that's an improvement. Used to be that if you were missing just one part you'd have to send the whole firearm to Brazil to get fixed and it was a toss of the dice when you got it back.
Old February 4, 2024, 08:44 AM   #7
taylorce1

Nice looking rifle, but I still prefer M94 in .30-30 for some reason. I do miss the Marlin I had in .35 Rem, people thought I was crazy when I mounted an RDS on it.
Old February 5, 2024, 11:18 PM   #8
bamaranger

wood

I've got a Garand stock made from mahogany. Could Rossi use mahogany or have a source?
Old February 5, 2024, 11:20 PM   #9
bamaranger

quick check

A goggle machine check indicates mahogany is indeed found in Mexico and Brazil.
Old February 6, 2024, 12:42 AM   #10
Pumpkin

Looks like the same wood CZ uses on their cheaper.22’s. Definitely not walnut.
Old February 6, 2024, 03:03 AM   #11
stagpanther

I think of my rossi 92's as charming little lever carbines, sort of like Chevy Vegas--mechanically not engineered well but still endearing in their own way if you're into home hobbying tinkering. I don't know what the new ones are made of--but my two have forearms made of soft wood that have compressed down and have issues being retained in the barrel band single screw arrangement. None of this is going to make sense to you until you get one and take it apart and put it together to see the issues for yourself. At 4 to 5 hundred dollars I don't mind messing with them--getting up there in price that competes with American made ones--forget it, wouldn't even consider it, but that's just me and like I said I don't know if they finally got smart and revamped how they build them (I doubt it, but would welcome being convinced otherwise).
Old February 6, 2024, 06:29 AM   #12
Pumpkin

Wouldn’t a 2.0 Ecotech be sweet in an old Vega hatch. Like a baby Z-28.
Old February 6, 2024, 10:30 AM   #13
FrankenMauser

Now there's the option for another Marlin 1894 clone, the S&W 1854, rather than a Rossi 92. And, perhaps within the next year, also 336-derived offerings from Aero Precision and Palmetto State Armory. (Yes, you read that correctly. Everyone is getting in on the Marlin clone game now, even AR companies.)
Old February 6, 2024, 12:59 PM   #14
stagpanther

Quote:
Wouldn’t a 2.0 Ecotech be sweet in an old Vega hatch. Like a baby Z-28.
Friend had one (Vega) in high school and he somehow dropped a small block V8 into it. I got arrested in SC coming back from spring break driving it going a tad bit over the speed limit in what I thought was the middle of nowhere. I had my own 69 Chevelle SS but seized the engine and stupidly sold it for next to nothing rather than replace the engine.

Last edited by stagpanther; February 6, 2024 at 01:08 PM.
Old February 6, 2024, 06:36 PM   #15
jmr40

That's one ugly stick of wood on the one in the link. Not just the wood, but the stock styling. Says walnut stained hardwood in the description.

I've never owned one, but the Rossi rifles I've seen at gun shows didn't do anything for me. I do like the shorter mag tube though.

Winston Churchill
Old February 14, 2024, 05:48 PM   #16
Buckeye!

The wood Rossi uses for the R92 is Açoita-Cavalo (Luehea divaricata), "horse whipper" in a direct translation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_3432.jpeg (500.7 KB, 44 views)

Last edited by Buckeye!; February 14, 2024 at 05:57 PM.
Old February 14, 2024, 07:24 PM   #17
stagpanther

Quote:
The wood Rossi uses for the R92 is Açoita-Cavalo (Luehea divaricata), "horse whipper" in a direct translation.
It is a distinctly light wood and does not have characteristics like a hardwood like walnut IMO. I hate the stuff cause it compresses easily.
Old February 29, 2024, 10:06 PM   #18
USAF Ret

I got mine a few weeks ago. I watched the Ranger Point Precision video on the rifle. They helped with the upgrades. It is not an R92. It is a very nice rifle, especially for the money. My Leupold 2-7x33 will be here tomorrow, so hoping to have a range report with factory ammunition Saturday if the weather holds out.
Old March 5, 2024, 08:18 AM   #19
stagpanther

To the OP-- mea culpa, I didn't know this is actually what you were referring and it doesn't appear to have anything in common with the 92's I've purchased. Although I paid only $400 for my Marlin 336 30-30 as the bow of Remington slipped beneath the waves--this rossi does catch my attention at that price--especially if their design and QC has improved any.
Old March 5, 2024, 10:14 AM   #20
Miami_JBT

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
I still wouldn't pay anything over $500 for one of their lever guns (having done so twice already)--they just aren't real-world quality IMO. I downloaded the manual and it looks to me like they still use the same rinky-dink magazine tube cap screw and single forearm band bolt to hold the tube and forearm in place in the receiver. I've actually had the mag tube and spring/follower chase after the bullet when fired.
My Rossi R92 in .45 Colt is well made. Quality wood, great fitment, good bluing, smooth action, runs well.
Old March 6, 2024, 08:13 AM   #21
stagpanther

Quote:
My Rossi R92 in .45 Colt is well made. Quality wood, great fitment, good bluing, smooth action, runs well.
I'd just like to hear from someone who has owned both the older Braztech/Puma 92's and the latest rossi 92's and say "heck yah, they got their poop together and they are much better made now." If it's the same thing--nope.
Old March 8, 2024, 11:45 PM   #22
deadcoyote

So I owned a Rossi 92 and it was actually a heck of a shooter and ran fine. Got stolen in a burglary unfortunately. I didn’t replace it and had really considered getting this new r95 16.5” model but I waffled due to the $729 price when new. Then I saw the new Smith and Wesson 1854 and like the looks of it but those are $1350 at sportsman warehouse!!! This made me look at the r95 carbine again and now they’re $850. I’m hoping the aero one or the PSA will be a lil more affordable. I’m sure I can always buy one of those heinously ugly mossberg levers off a used rack for a good price.
Old March 9, 2024, 11:30 AM   #23
44caliberkid

https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_...wood+stock+5+1

Bud’s has the wood stocked R95 for $718. The rifle I’m talking about is a Marlin 336 clone in 30-30. I think it’s a good alternative for people who don’t want to spend $1300+ for a Ruger or S&W. Some how we got off onto the Winchester 1892 clones in pistol calibers. I have an older Rossi 92 in 44-40 that had an action job before I owned it and was used in CAS matches successfully by the previous owner. If you were going to have some kind of failure it would be in competition.
Old March 9, 2024, 01:02 PM   #24
USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44caliberkid View Post
https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_...wood+stock+5+1

Bud’s has the wood stocked R95 for $718. The rifle I’m talking about is a Marlin 336 clone in 30-30. I think it’s a good alternative for people who don’t want to spend $1300+ for a Ruger or S&W. Some how we got off onto the Winchester 1892 clones in pistol calibers. I have an older Rossi 92 in 44-40 that had an action job before I owned it and was used in CAS matches successfully by the previous owner. If you were going to have some kind of failure it would be in competition.
I have my Rossi R95 in 30-30 ready for the range. Shooting tomorrow. Topped with a Leupold VX Freedom 2-7x33. Starting with factory loads. I will provide the data when I get back.
Old March 9, 2024, 07:03 PM   #25
ThomasT

I looked one of these at Academy yesterday and it was a nice looking gun with a good looking wood stock. I liked the matt finish receiver. I didn't care for the rear sight with the tall horns on each side of the sight blade. Buds has these for $718 and I asked if they would price match and the guy behind the counter thought they would.