The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 8, 2007, 12:37 AM   #1
Sogman6

WMR powder?

I just got a few pounds of WMR ball powder. Being obsolete I got it for 10.00 a pound, couldn't pass it up. There is surprising little info for this powder. A friend told me its close to H1000. anyone have some cross reference date for this powder? Thanks friends.
Old December 8, 2007, 12:53 PM   #2
Scorch

WMR was discontinued in the early 1980s, IIRC. What cartridge and bullet weight are you trying to reload? I have relaoding manuals going back 35 years that list WMR for some cartridges.
Old December 8, 2007, 01:37 PM   #3
RDub

Hey.. Good buy on the powder!
Yep WMR is definitely on the slow side.. I had some good luck with it in a .300 Winni some time ago.. Cant remember the loads I tried, but Scorch should be able to help with some numbers..
Gonna want to use a magnum primer most likely..
Old December 8, 2007, 02:43 PM   #4
dogfood

Quote:
WMR was discontinued in the early 1980s, IIRC. What cartridge and bullet weight are you trying to reload? I have relaoding manuals going back 35 years that list WMR for some cartridges.
Scorch, are you sure? WMR is Winchester Magnum Rifle, right? I could have sworn that it was introduced after I started reloading, which was 1987. I was guessing it was launched in the early 90's. Before then, I thought Winchester's rifle powders were 748 and 760.

But, obviously, I could be mistaken. I can't find WMR in my Hodgdon or Hornady reloading manuals of the late 80's, but they didn't use everything. So if it was out there and you have the data, then I guess I need a memory check.

dogfood
Old December 8, 2007, 05:40 PM   #5
Sogman6

WMR Powder?

I am loading a 30-06 Imp. with 168 gr. BTHP. and heavier bullets. I know slower powder works better in this caliber, but is it too slow? Definitly mag primers.
Old December 8, 2007, 06:24 PM   #6
crowbeaner

I have the WW data booklet 14th edition and it has the data for WMR in it. The copyright date is 1994. Loads are there for 243,257 Bob, 25/06,270,280,7/08 162 gr. only,30/06 200 gr. and 220 gr., 300 Win Mag, and 338 WM. CB.
Old December 9, 2007, 12:04 AM   #7
Scorch

Quote:
Scorch, are you sure?
Sorry, I was thinking of WW785. WMR is a very slow powder, about as slow as H-1000. In the latest Hornady manual, there are loads for WMR for the 30-06 with 220 gr bullets, even though WMR has been discontinued.
Old December 9, 2007, 06:17 AM   #8
Martyn4802

Minor hijack..
Hey Scorch, I've got a full pound of WW 785 I've had for years, and don't know what to use it for. Can you enlighten me on what to do with it? I load for most 22 caliber centerfires, plus 250 Sav, 257 Bob, 7x57, 284 and 7 mm Mag.

Thanks,

Martyn
Old December 9, 2007, 11:40 AM   #9
Paul B.

WMR is one of my all time favorite powders. I get decent velocities and great accuracy in my .243 Win., 6MM Rem., .257 Bob, .270 Win., .280 Rem., 7MM Rem mag.and .300 Win. Mag. However, it does not work worth a damn in the 30-06. Go figure.
For some odd reason, Winchester has had problems with their slow burning powders. First there was 780BR, then 785, then WMR and finally WXR which was an extruded powder rather than Winchester's normal ball types. I found a gun shop in Southern California that had five 8 pound cans of WMR and I bought three of them to go with one I found here in Tucson. That's 32 pounds of WMR with all cans having the same lot number. Sometimes I do get lucky.
I'm not sure I go along with it's being in the same range as H-1000 though. Gun writer and handloading expert Ken Waters felt it fell between RL-19 and RL-22 and so far, based on my useage, I'd have to agree with him.
Hornady manuals Five, Six and Seven have some data for WMR as does the Number Four Nosler manual. None of the Speer or Sierra manuals seem to have any data for WMR. At least I haven't noticed any. I'm of the thought that because some of the manuals ignored WMR as did most of the "egg-spurts" in the gun rags, the powder never had a chance to get off the ground. I remember reading an article my Ken Waters that he lamented not being able to get more WMR to do load testing in IIRC, the .300 Win. Mag.
I do know that from my own trials with it in a standard 30-06 that is doesn't do very well with erratic velocities and weird pressures, plus lousy accuracy. I also notice that in the Winchester #15 load booklet the only data is for 200 and 220 gr. bullets with the same charge given for both bullets.
How well WMR will work in a 30-06 Imp. is something I can only guess at.
One thing though, in all the rounds that I use WMR, I have never had to go to a magnum primer. maybe, if it got really cold here I might have to, but it doesn't get all that cold here in AZ.
Paul B.
Old December 9, 2007, 04:08 PM   #10
crowbeaner

Martyn4802; a bit of caution is required; WW 785 has the warning in the older data booklets that it should be loaded exactly as shown for some cartridges notably the 8mm Mauser and 338 Win Mag. This is one of the reasons 785 was discontinued after a short lifespan. By all means get the WW data booklet and read it. I have the one you need, but it's 30 miles from here with most of my manuals above my bench. It may be the 10th edition or thereabouts. If and when I'm done hunting I might be able to plan a trip to get it if you aren't in a hurry. CB.
Old July 10, 2009, 09:19 PM   #11
UniversalFrost

ok, my local shop had the WMR for 10 per pound as well. i picked up 1 pound to try out and if all goes well get another few pounds.

I was wanting to use with 7mm wby mag, anyone got any load books with this infor for wmr ? i have lyman books that go all the way back and speer and lee books, some of the newer winchester handouts, and a few odd ball nosler phamplets, but can't find any load info for WMR other than for some non magnum calibers and then 338 mag.

anyones help is appreciated.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green