The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 20, 2001, 11:49 AM   #1
goat

I was in my local gun shop and saw one of these guns.It is a full size CDP model and it is beautiful.Does anyone own or have experience with this model.
Old February 20, 2001, 11:57 AM   #2
jwise

I've got the midsize one (full grip, shorter slide.) If that's close enough to what you want, I can speak for it.

I LOVE IT! It puts bullets through one hole, right where you aim it, every time. I went ahead and put a Hogue wrap-around grip on it (I don't like the sharp checkering on the front-strap.)

I shot it at the last IPSC competition I went to, and I'll be using it this weekend again.

Any specific questions? I could keep going, but...

J. Wise
Old April 29, 2001, 03:34 PM   #3
traitorjack

just replying to this to bring the thread back into circulation; I'm looking for as much info as I can on this one, but no-one seems to have anything out there.

so ... anyone have any experiences with the full size CDP out there?
Old April 29, 2001, 06:22 PM   #4
Gonzo_308

I have an Ultra CDP and I can say that if the full size is half the gun that this Ultra is. (Excuse me while I don my Flame retardant suit) I've kicked around whether to buy a Wilson CQB or a full size CDP and the money is really the only difference I see. I know Wilson talks about hand making their guns etc. but a stock part being put in a production gun is just that and I consider the CQB to be a production gun. So, I think I'll buy TWO CDP's and have twice the fun! I've got the Ultra, do I want the compact and the full size or the pro and the compact or the......
Old April 30, 2001, 11:30 AM   #5
Batman

I have the Pro-CDP which is the one with the fullsize grip and the commander length slide. In my humble opinion, it is almost the perfect 1911 as far as accuracy, fit and especially finish. It is a series 70 type gun though, so no firing pin block. If this doesn't bother you, then you're good to go. I was not perticularly comfortable with the idea, and I still bought the gun. However, Kimber has supposedly come out with a firing pin block that works off of the grip safety, and has no adverse effect on the trigger pull. These are designated with II after the CDP.

The bottom line is, for a production gun under $1000, the Pro-cdp series are top of the line and hard to beat. Get one and you'll be happy.

Oh yeah, I've only had one Malfuntcion in the past 500 rounds on the first magazine, due to me limpwristing (I'm used to 9mm and .40), bullet fed, but slide didn't go into battery all the way. This is with ball, and hollowpoint ammo of varying weight. I am no marksman, but one hole groups are the norm rather than the exception at combat ranges. Hope this helps your decision.
Old April 30, 2001, 01:36 PM   #6
ATTICUS

I could only repeat what Batman just wrote. I like my CDP pro very much. I'm sure that Wilson's, Baer's etc. are excellent pistols, but I'm not sure how much could be improved upon by spending another $500-1500. It fits my needs very well. Good luck!