The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 22, 2013, 11:16 PM   #1
FloridaGuy

My first AR15.

Yesterday I was at the range with my better half and several friends. Up until now she did not want any long guns in the house. But that all changed after she shot one of our friends AR's yesterday. She said it was really fun to shoot. She then said she would not mind if we had one because they are fun. So I went out this evening and picked one up.

It is made by a company in Orlando Florida Called The Arms Room LLC. This is a company that is owned and operated by U.S. Afghanistan Veterans. 100% Made in the U.S.A and all U.S. made parts. It has a Crome-Moly barrel with a 1:7 twist. It has a free floating rail system with M4 Grip Stock and MBUS Sights. They included 2 30 round PMAGS and Cleaning Kit. The rifle is chambered in 5.56 and meets Mill-Specs according to manufacture.

I am not sure what all this means yet but I will learn.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-02-22 19.15.03.jpg (251.9 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg 2013-02-22 18.39.57.jpg (241.4 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg 2013-02-22 18.42.28.jpg (243.2 KB, 108 views)

Last edited by FloridaGuy; February 24, 2013 at 10:28 PM.
Old February 22, 2013, 11:46 PM   #2
Metal god

congrats

How much $

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old February 22, 2013, 11:55 PM   #3
Dr Big Bird PhD

Quality.
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old February 22, 2013, 11:56 PM   #4
FloridaGuy

They had the gun marked at $1390. But I picked up a couple extra PMags and and a couple hundred rounds of .223 ammo while I was there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-02-22 18.43.18.jpg (242.2 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg 2013-02-22 18.39.04.jpg (239.1 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg 2013-02-22 19.16.47.jpg (246.9 KB, 51 views)

Last edited by FloridaGuy; February 23, 2013 at 12:12 AM.
Old February 22, 2013, 11:57 PM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

Pretty little thing. Get some rail covers. If you'uns ever go to cold weather, you'll be happy you did.
Old February 23, 2013, 12:08 AM   #6
chris in va

Nice.

I can't tell, is that a middy or carbine gas system?
Old February 23, 2013, 12:20 AM   #7
allaroundhunter

Quote:
I can't tell, is that a middy or carbine gas system?
It looks like a carbine length to me.
Old February 23, 2013, 07:54 PM   #8
FloridaGuy

Well I ordered the following case for my new AR.

UTG Deluxe Covert Homeland Security Gun Case

The first picture is of the front pocket of the case and the second is of the inside of the case.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 511aHKSyZFL.jpg (59.7 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg 51648SNTmDL.jpg (46.5 KB, 55 views)
Old February 23, 2013, 08:34 PM   #9
Spats McGee
Staff

Congratulations!
Old February 24, 2013, 09:24 PM   #10
FloridaGuy

I am now planning on adding the below listed accessories to this rifle. Since I am new to the AR platform any suggestions on what to get. Also what are the best site to look at for AR accesories.

Some type of Scope.
Flashlight with pressure switch on forward vertical grip
Forward Vertical Grip
Old February 24, 2013, 10:03 PM   #11
Metal god

IMO you will almost never use the flash lite . As for the foreword grip . I like them but not as much as I like a mag well grip

I was using a shotgun for HD but found a long gun is much harder to control in tight areas so I went to my handgun for HD . It's just so much easier to move around in a home or hallway with many doors .

If you start hanging a bunch a stuff off it they get heavy quick . The gun above looks cool but is not my fav cus it's heavy . I have a bare bones AR that is much easier to move around and control .

If you put a scope on it I recommend QD rings and back up sights .

By all means have fun with it and get what you want for it . I have a few so I can keep them each as there own . No putting stuff on then taking it off each time I want to do a different type of shooting . Just wait , now that you got the itch you will never stop scratching it welcom to the dark side

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old February 24, 2013, 10:23 PM   #12
FloridaGuy

Metal God,

The gun I have is very heavy with no accessories. That is one of the reasons I am thinkng about the vertical grip because it will help support the front of the gun. What scope is on the rifle in the picture?

I am already thinking about a second one and I have not even fired this one yet. The case my girl friend picked up for this gun will hold 2 of them so I need to fill that empty space.
Old February 24, 2013, 11:09 PM   #13
Metal god

It's a cheap UTG red-dot it worked OK but I have sense put it on my tactical 10/22

Old February 25, 2013, 04:40 PM   #14
kjd2121

Try the Magpul AFG for the front grip.

Old February 26, 2013, 03:05 PM   #15
KMyerK98

Scope for AR

What kind of scope - that is a big question that needs more input. Are you going to plink with it (wife thinks it's fun - yes they are) or target or hunt varmints. What range will you shoot most of the time? For anything up to 100 yards you could just use a red dot style or halo style. Red dot is usually a short tube with a dot in the sighting system. The halo is also a red dot and some come with various switchable sights like 3mil, cross, cross+ circle, etc etc. Having one of those will give you some options and also provide different style sight pictures to try - this is helpful if multiple people will use the same rifle. Each can choose what they like best.

For over 100 yards to around 300 you could use a variable 3-8x or 6-12x. Anything beyond 300 with accuracy you will be spending lots more (for good optics and triggers and bench rests - it really doesn't end). You may want to use a fixed 10x up to an 8-24x scope for way out there. Again it depends on where you will shoot most.

If you really want to use a scope for up to 100 yards and beyond, then make sure you get something with "parallax adjustment". That allows you to adjust the scope for shorter distances. Parallax adjustments basically dial out the error of looking through the optics at varying angles. Looking straight down the center versus looking through canted makes a big difference for accurate bullet placement on target.

I'm sure there are optics threads on here. Might want to do some research before you go shopping. I went to Cabela's and compared leupolds, bushnells, and a few others side by side and chose a Bushnell Elite 3200 in 6-12x. The optics in it were much brighter than the others. This can be a $250-$600 plus decision! So get what you will use most often at the range you use.

I also swapped out the hard plastic hand grip for a Magpul soft rubber grip on all of mine. Much more comfortable and ergonomic.

Something else you may not have thought about are barrel options. You now have an AR15 variant. Your platform supports numerous calibers by merely changing out the upper half (no FFL required). I have 6.8SPC, .458 SOCOM (THUMPER), as well as the 5.56 for mine.

You have a pile of options now... choose wisely, be safe, have fun!!
Old March 7, 2013, 09:56 PM   #16
FloridaGuy

Just wanted to post some updated pictures of my rifle.

Still have not fired a single round through it. Ammo for the .223/5.56 is very hard to find and what you find is way over priced especially seeing how much ammo one of these rifles can go through.
Old March 7, 2013, 10:59 PM   #17
Justice06RR

Congrats on the rifle. Arms Room puts together very nice AR15's. I have bought a few parts from them and thankfully they are local to me.

Btw your Red dot is a little too far forward. You should have it on the upper receiver as far forward as you can without being on the quadrail.

I would also suggest some type of sling, a Magpul stock/grip/trigger guard. Those will not add weight to your AR but make it easier and nicer to handle.

Quote:
IMO you will almost never use the flash lite .
Although you may not use it often, its always good to have a flashlight on your rifle. You never know when you will be in the dark if you ever had to use it; if you ever get caught in the dark you will be happy to have it. When at the range, you can easily remove it anyway then put it back on when storing the AR. Buy a small compact LED flashlight and mount and you'll hardly notice its there.

My setup with flashlight w/ quickrelease
Old March 8, 2013, 01:25 AM   #18
Metal god

Justice thats a really nice looking rifle . That forward grip is way in front . I keep mine much closer to the mag well . Problem with mine is , if I ever have a stuck mag and or have to get to the inerds of my lower . My grip hits the mag when the upper pivits open . Looks like yours will clear the mag cus it's so far forward . It looks like you put some thought to putting that togerther . very nice .