The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 31, 2020, 04:32 PM   #1
USAF Ret

Recommendations for Disabled Shooter

Looking for recommendations for a disabled shooter. Female shooting left hand only. Concealed carry. Something with manageable recoil and decent capacity. Preferably 9mm, but open to 380. Thanks.

USAF Ret
Old August 31, 2020, 04:54 PM   #2
FITASC

One handed? I'd opt for the 380, like a Bersa which has a little weight to absorb some recoil.

Of course, right now, guns and ammo in 380 and 9mm are very scarce.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 31, 2020, 05:34 PM   #3
reteach

I agree with .380 if it has to be a semi auto. My Glock 42 is very manageable, and still fairly light. I added Pearce one-round extensions to my magazines so I can carry it with 8 rounds on board.

But if she only has the use of one hand, you might ask her to look at a revolver. My Ruger LCRX .327 holds 6 shots and can be loaded with lower-recoil .32 H&R Mag or even .32 S&W Long. I know you stipulated 9mm or .380, but I think the .32 H&R is very close in power to a .380. The revolver might be easier to load and reload, as opposed to racking a slide one-handed.
Old August 31, 2020, 05:50 PM   #4
CDR_Glock

A Beretta 92 has a manageable slide. It’s easy to maintain. Due to the weight, recoil will be manageable.

If a 380 ACP is something she’d like to get then a Sig Sauer P 238 380 ACP HD, which is heavier and handles recoil, but it is Single Action Only.

Single action revolvers in 38 Special is another option.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old August 31, 2020, 05:56 PM   #5
Spats McGee
Staff

Shield EZ? (Not that I've fired one. It's just what comes to mind.)
Old August 31, 2020, 06:03 PM   #6
blchandl2

I have the 380 EZ and it feels like a .22 when racking the slide. Recoil is very tame compared to my other .380s. They also have an EZ9 which is very easy to operate, but I have not fired one ..............................yet.
Old August 31, 2020, 06:29 PM   #7
Dfariswheel

These topics quickly devolve into a "My favorite gun" discussion.

With that said, a prime candidate for a handicapped woman would be a Kahr Arms polymer framed model.
My recommendation would be for the P9 version over the micro versions.
The P9 is about the same size as a Walther PPK/s

Among the advantages of these polymer Kahr's is that they are one of the few autos that are as safe as a double action revolver to carry.
The long double action trigger IS the safety and like a good revolver, the only way it will fire is with a long trigger pull.

A good way to carry it is in a fashionable fanny pack that's specifically designed to carry a pistol.
I DO NOT recommend carrying a defense pistol in a purse. That's the first thing to get grabbed.
Old August 31, 2020, 06:58 PM   #8
Nathan

Maybe I can help. I’m missing my left hand. I wear a prosthesis that I’m quite capable with, so each case is different.

Does she wear a prosthesis? What does she feel capable of doing? For example, can she rack a slide. I catch my slide on a strap on the prosthesis and can quickly rack against that or my pants pocket.

How will she reload? I transfer the gun to my hook, grab the mag with my hand and reacquire with my hand after seating.

I look like a cat on fire, but I can beat a couple 2 handers when I idpa. So, it is possible to be proficient.

The bad part is she will really have to train! She will have to learn how 2 handers do it and adapt. That said, she has done that her whole life!

Good luck. Let her pick the tool. It should be something she shoots well 1 handed and using the prosthesis as support.

I carry a Shield 9, DW CCO 45, or a CW380.....so, the guns can be pretty mainstream.

Feel free to reach out....I’d love to help. Many prosthetists will help too. I’m thinking about putting mlok in my next prosthesis!
Old August 31, 2020, 07:07 PM   #9
dyl

It may help to know what you mean by disabled. Any idea whether strength, range of motion, or coordination are affected? Or perhaps disabled means wheelchair bound?

My first thought was the M&P Shield EZ9 or 380 also, not because I own one, but they are supposedly easy to load and rack.

For small hand size, Kahrs do have slim grips. I EDC a kahr, and in the smallest model the short recoil spring needs to be stiff, so it can be difficult to rack. So a larger one like Dfariswheel mentioned would do better. For being described as a revolver-like trigger, the trigger pull is much lighter than a small revolver's trigger pull.

If she lives on her own and doesn't have anyone to help her load mags, maybe a revolver would be easier to load. Although I hear the shield EZ series are supposedly easier to load, you would need one hand to pull down on the spring tab (like 22 pistol magazines usually have) and the other hand to slide rounds under the feed lips. If she's got 2 hands or a helper maybe it's a non issue.

For revolvers, she could open up the cylinder (although the latches are made for right handers), set it down on a table, slide some rounds in, and close it up. Revolver reloads in an emergency could be difficult one handed depending on her physical challenges. The M&P Bodyguard revolver has an ambidextrous cylinder latch, but the trigger pull is just as stiff as the usual J-frame, along with the stout recoil.

Trigger pull on the smallest revolvers (J-frame size) can be tough depending on what deficits she's experiencing. Sometimes the first trigger pull on Double Action/Single Action semi autos can also be stiff like on a Cz75, Beretta 92FS, Sig p226/229. Again, not sure what the limits of strength are as it affects her ability to pull a trigger or hold a heavier gun.

Best of luck to you and her too.
Old August 31, 2020, 08:01 PM   #10
allenomics

I agree that the S&W 9EZ warrants serious consideration.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/9ez

I have not fired one, but they are receiving positive reviews. It has enabled more people with somewhat weaker hands and finger strength and those with disabilities to defend themselves, and also get into or stay involved in the sport of shooting and plinking.
Old August 31, 2020, 08:13 PM   #11
ammo.crafter

Walther .380

With a “next-to-nothing” recoil and an easy-to-rack slide, the new Walther CCP M2 brings 8+1 rounds of .380ACP in a compact package.

That would be my first choice.
Old September 1, 2020, 05:09 AM   #12
Hal

Quote:
Maybe I can help. I’m missing my left hand. I wear a prosthesis that I’m quite capable with, so each case is different.
You should hook up with someone to video how you deal with loading - racking the slide - clearing jams.
That would be extremely helpful to others.

I dropped a 600 pound air compressor on my hand 30 years ago & my hand was in bandages for a few weeks - my right hand/strong hand.
I had to do everything left handed & it was a real eye opener.
I felt as helpless as a new born.
Old September 1, 2020, 08:20 AM   #13
USAF Ret

No prosthetic. Strong left arm and hand. She is not weak by any means.
Old September 1, 2020, 08:53 AM   #14
Jim Watson

Great. The "Arthritis Specials" offered above are not necessary.

1. I recommend whatever standard service pistol suits her taste, get her to shoot as many as you have, and that she can borrow, rent, or at least gymnasticate at the store.
Might be a Glock 17 or 19 or any of the many similar Plastic Pistolen. I like S&W Plastic M&P or Compact for concealment.

2. Have it fitted with one of the rear sights with an abrupt ledge for cocking against a table edge, door frame, stiff belt, or shoe heel. Like the Dawson Charger.
https://dawsonprecision.com/dawson-p...r-optic-front/

3. Look around for accessories and techniques for loading the magazine one handed. I have somewhere seen pictures or video of a stand that will firmly support a magazine so you can push cartridges into it with one hand.

4. Look around for techniques to load the gun with one hand, given a loaded magazine. Those abound, unlike magazine loading.
Old September 1, 2020, 11:15 AM   #15
Pahoo

Interesting

Quote:
Female shooting left hand only.
With all due respect, I am reading that use of her right hand is totally out of the picture. ....

Have you considered a .38 SPL revolver? If her left hand is as strong as you say, then a 9MM is just a "slight" step up and you have more options. This thread will be interesting to follow. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old September 1, 2020, 11:58 AM   #16
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I think we need more information before we can offer knowledgeable suggestions. That said, allow me to toss this out:

When the range where I shoot ran mini-combat competitions one night per week, one of the top shooters was a young man whose left arm ended about halfway between shoulder and where his elbow should have been. He shot a full-size 1911 in .45 ACP.

He did not require assistance in loading or in magazine changes. I don't recall how he put magazines into the gun. I do recall that he racked the slide by holding the slide between the stump of his left arm and his torso, and pushing the grip forward.

Did I mention that he was one of the top shooters? Yes, I did -- and he was. Obviously, he had been doing it for awhile and he practiced. The point is that not having use of one hand may not mean that one's only option is a revolver. In fact, I think a revolver would likely be more difficult to manipulate with one hand than a semi-auto, when you consider the complete manual of arms, speed reloads, etc.

Not knowing any more than what you have told us, my initial suggestion is this:
https://bersa.eagleimportsinc.com/be...s/thunder-plus
Jeepaholic
Old September 2, 2020, 10:47 PM   #17
dyl

Quote:
No prosthetic. Strong left arm and hand. She is not weak by any means.
That's good to hear!

Quote:
The "Arthritis Specials" offered above are not necessary.
Most up to date versions of the polymer pistols have reversible if not ambidextrous magazine releases and slide releases. Gen 3 Glocks didn't have a reversible mag release, I believe Gen 4 you could set it to be Lefty friendly. It wasn't until Gen 5 that you have an ambidextrous slide release though. These may not be make or break deals because with practice you can substitute other fingers but if you had a choice, lefty friendly or Ambidextrous may be of some help. S&W M&P's both Gen 1 and 2 have always had reversible mag release buttons and ambidextrous slide lock/slide releases, as do the new Sig P320.
Old September 2, 2020, 11:02 PM   #18
Jim Watson

Not one handed, but for a left handed reload, I press the 1911 magazine catch with my left middle finger. Most people use their left forefinger, though.
Old September 3, 2020, 06:28 AM   #19
rodfac

One handed operation...I'd recommend a revolver with suitable loads to manage recoil. My wife, and DIL both have Smith 637's in .38 Special, but as the guns are alloy framed, the recoil, while manageable, can be significant with some carry loads. For that reason, I'd opt for one of the steel framed models.

Auto's are fine, but demand a level of dexterity that may prove a problem for a shooter who is not dedicated to regular practice. Malfunctions are one area that demands attention as does reloading under stress. They do offer capacity, but from a civilian point of view, that may not be the over riding reason for their selection.

YMMv, and thanx for your service...Best regards, Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old September 3, 2020, 10:12 AM   #20
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF Ret View Post
Looking for recommendations for a disabled shooter. Female shooting left hand only. Concealed carry. Something with manageable recoil and decent capacity. Preferably 9mm, but open to 380. Thanks.

USAF Ret
Without knowing anything about the disability, because I haven't read the rest of the thread yet, these come to mind:

S&W Shield EZ series. Available in both 9mm and .380. Said to be very easy to rack the slide. A bit bigger than the standard Shield, also a couple ounces heaver, and there's more gun to hold on to.

Walther CCP. Available in both 9 and .380, said to be easy to rack, size similar to the Shield EZ.

(No personal experience with either, just Internet social media herd mind hearsay. YMMV.)

And, for the one handed, there's this: http://www.handi-racker.com/.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "

Last edited by lee n. field; September 3, 2020 at 10:22 AM.
Old September 3, 2020, 11:13 AM   #21
Jim Watson

I had a real radical idea.
Try it out.
I started with my S&W M&P, my Preferred Plastic Pistol, recommended above.

With the magazine just standing on the bench top, I could not load it onehanded, it just skated around or tipped over.
With it held down, to simulate a loading stand that could be built, I could slowly and carefully load it with one hand. My dominant right hand could load it full, but my left hand could only manage 14 rounds in the 17 round magazine.
I figure the OP's student could get it full with a well compensated left hand.

Using a dummy round for safety in the shop, I could stand the magazine up on the bench and push the gun down over it until the magazine catch clicked.
The Burwell rear sight has enough of a ledge to charge the chamber by hooking it against the bench edge. A sight made for the purpose would be even easier. The Handiracker would work if screwed down, but your rear sight is with you always.

For the reload from slide lock, the magazine catch can be reversed for southpaws, but I just pushed the button with my left middle finger, pressed the gun down over a fresh magazine, and pushed the ambidextrous slide stop.
If wearing a holster, you could just holster the empty gun, feed a fresh magazine in from behind, and hit the slide stop. Our one-armed USPSA shooter does it that way.

I consider the concept proven and continue to recommend the type.

But how about that nice simple revolver so often recommended for the Delicate Little Darlings?
I dug out the pretty engraved S&W M640.
Right hand only, it was not hard to thumb the latch, swing the cylinder out with the forefinger, punch the extractor rod against an object, put the gun down, insert a cartridge in each chamber, pick it up, push the cylinder back in with the thumb and be ready to shoot.

Left hand only was a challenge. Wrapping the thumb around to reach the latch was a strain, I finally got the cylinder open by bumping it against my knee, then punch the rod and lay the gun down to load. I don't see how a speed loader would work unless provided with support like the magazine loading stand. I could reseat the cylinder with my forefinger and be ready to shoot if I didn't drop the darn thing.
No doubt an obligate southpaw would have better control, but it is still a lot of work. I can't recommend the type.

So, the universal answer: Fly before you buy.
Old September 3, 2020, 08:57 PM   #22
ms6852

I bought my wife the Walther PPQ as this was what was pleasing to her for her hand. She loved that you could adjust the grips by changing the backstraps. This gun is totally ambidextrous and out of the box has the best factory trigger at approximately 5 pounds. Easy to rack for my wife as she is dainty as a woman gets.
Old September 4, 2020, 04:24 AM   #23
jetinteriorguy

If your considering a revolver, check out the Charter Southpaw. They are even available in pink if she’s so inclined.
Old September 4, 2020, 07:43 PM   #24
Doc TH

I am a physician very experienced in disability evaluations. From the posts of interest, I have absolutely no idea what the type and severity of the disability is, so I will suspend judgment on the various recommendations made.
Critical questions are how the disability would affect slide racking, malfunction drills, recoil tolerance, reloading (SA and revolver), trigger pull (single vs double action) and dexterity in any needed reloading.
When these are known, evidence-based recommendations can be made. Right now, all are guesses.
Old September 6, 2020, 12:10 AM   #25
Big Shrek

Grendel P10, which comes in .380acp.
Fat slide which is easy to rack. No outside controls.
Small and compact, yet holds 10 shots.
Usually less than $150 in any pawn shop.

I use one as my "toss in a pocket" when wearing shorts.
Went to the movies today with it...New Mutants was an OK flick