The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old October 31, 2017, 11:08 AM   #26
Evan Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolomonMan
Also on the handgun question previously I found a gun/conservation club North of me about 20 minutes...how does one usually get involved?

I know they are accepting memberships...but I am not exactly experienced.
Call or visit and talk to someone about joining, mention that you're a pretty inexperienced shooter, and see what sort of response you get. I'd bet it will be very positive. Any club that doesn't welcome newcomers to the sport with open arms -- isn't one I'd want to join.
Old November 2, 2017, 09:54 AM   #27
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolomonMan View Post
All,
Based on everything I have read and seen I think I will dismiss the idea of the firing range on my property at this time.

The reasoning really boils down to safety and the structure size/permanent nature that the range would require on my landscape currently. This investment currently pushes things well in the negative realm for me.

Smart decision. As I said in my previous post, while having one's own range in their backyard is nice, sometimes the cost of the project, aesthetics, ordinances/local regs and neighbors, can make for an expensive, ugly and frustrating situation. This is where if one has access to a local range that is acceptable, the choice is easy.

As for the shooting of shotguns at clay targets, you have enough distance to be safe, one would only have to concern themselves with local ordinances and regs, and complaints from neighbors.