The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old February 24, 2014, 09:28 AM   #1
chiefr

6.5 Carcano shooters

I have been reloading both 6.5 and 7.35 Carcanos for many years. Always used .268 and .298 bullets respectively and get great performance out of these old rifles.

Last range trip, and for the first time I decided to try some 6.5 Prvi Partisan 139gr FMJBT factory ammo though my 91. At 50 yards using a rest, I fired an 8 inch group. I switched to my reloads and fired a 1.5 inch group.

After the range trip, I pulled the bullet from the factory round and it miked exactly .264. Problem solved.

I know someone will say their rifle will shoot good with 264 bullets and I agree, some will. The original rifle was designed to shoot .268 diameter bullets.
Old February 24, 2014, 09:34 AM   #2
tahunua001

from what I've heard only hornady actually uses the .268 bullets nowadays but I have never taken a set of calipers to some to check. considering that most of their obsolete brass comes from PRVI, I would be inclined to think that other components may also come from them.
Old February 24, 2014, 10:12 AM   #3
chiefr

You are probably right. The .268 & .298 bullets I use in reloading are all mfg by Hornady. My last range session was the first time I ever used factory ammo in a Carcano. Years ago, I used surp ammo in clips which gave good groups, but Carcano surp disappeared many years ago.

Wanted to add Prvi brass is great stuff. IMHO it is better than domestic.
Old February 24, 2014, 10:38 AM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

Have you ever slugged your bore?

I've seen Carcanos that have bores as loose as .273, or damned near 7mm.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old February 24, 2014, 11:00 AM   #5
amd6547

The Carcano cavalry carbine I used to own would shoot 8" groups at 100yds using the PRVI ammo.
Old February 24, 2014, 01:41 PM   #6
chiefr

Mike posted:

Have you ever slugged your bore?

I've seen Carcanos that have bores as loose as .273, or damned near

I usually slug bores. The Carcano in particular has a nominal .268 mint bore.
Main reason why I have kept this one. When I hear people tell me how inaccurate Carcanos are, I put mine up against their 03s and Garands and the skeptics have a sudden change in attitude. I am surprised how many people do not realize they are not a true 6.5, .264.

Over many years I have owned my share of Carcanos, I too have seen much larger bores. Carcanos are still one of the few surp rifles you can pick up for under a couple hundred bucks. Too bad the surp ammo supply is no longer with us.
Old February 24, 2014, 02:44 PM   #7
Mike Irwin
Staff

I've only ever seen one Carcano that wouldn't shoot, no matter what was done to it, but that was because the rifling had been pretty badly chewed up by corrosive priming.

I've never owned one, but the ones I've shot in the past certainly haven't been lacking in accuracy, as long as the bullets and bore are compatible.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old February 26, 2014, 03:24 PM   #8
Romeo 33 Delta

I shoot the following 6.5 and 7.35 Carcanos:

M1891 Infantry Rifle, M38 Short Rifle, M91/38 TS Carbine, M91/28 Moscshetto, M1941 Infantry Rifle.

M38 Short Rifle, M91/38 TS Carbine, M91/38 Moschetto.

Some of the 6.5s shoot accurately with the Hornady .264" RNSP while others need the .268" RNSP (which I resize to .2665", BTW). I pulled a 6.5 Mil Surp and came up with .266"-.267" as I recall ... hence I resize my Hornadys as I've found them oversized for my Italians. Yours may be different.

The 7.35s are all fed .298" bullets from Buffalo Arms or pulled MilSurp ... a quantity of which I was able to purchase some years back.

I tell folks, if your bore looks decent enough to be a shooter after cleaning it, slug your bore or just try some 6.5 with Privi .264" bullets and if it shoots poorly ... then investigate the .268" bullet ... BUT FOLLOW HORNADY'S RECOMMENDED RELOADING DATA CAREFULLY!!!!!