The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 25, 2016, 08:11 PM   #1
Cheapshooter

Optics and astigmatism?

In further investigating my options for optics on my planned purchase of a Ruger Charger Take Down I found information about red dot optics no working well for people with astigmatism. The dots appear fuzzy, or with commit tails. I really haven't used one, so this is new to me. Is the condition alleviating by your pres ription glasses? Is it less noticed with a smaller MOA dot? Finally, are reticles of a different design better for a person with this eye condition? The two optics I have narrowed my choices to two lighted retical, unlimited eye relief optics. without going to a conventional EER pistol scope (I don't really want to crowd up on a rifle scope, what's the point of the handgun?) The Vortex SPARK II which has a 2MOA red dot, or the Sightmark Ultra Shot Plus that has reticle options of 3MOA dot, circle, crosshair, and combinations of circle and crosshair. Also with the option of red, or green illumination.
I all but made up my mind on the Vortex until I read about the astigmatism complication. Now I'm wondering if the optional crosshair of the Sightmark would be better.
I do wear perscription glasses, so if they help lessen the effect, I might be concerned over nothing.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old January 25, 2016, 09:09 PM   #2
Double Naught Spy

I have astigmatism pretty bad. For me, daylight use is a non-issue. The astigmatism kicks in when the eye dilates with darkness. The problem can be mitigated in low light by turning down the brightness of the dot. A really bright dot, for me, produces a starburst pattern, kind of like how stars are drawn in cartoons or how your windshield breaks with a small pebble. Dimming the dot (which is all you are apt to need in low light) has a greatly reduced star pattern and the rays of the star are much more faint than the dot.

I really like red dot sights and crosshairs with an illuminated dot center.

Last edited by Double Naught Spy; January 26, 2016 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Poor sentence structure
Old January 25, 2016, 09:51 PM   #3
MikeRussell

I've got it mildly in my left eye. When shooting from support side with my contact in (or prescription glasses on), I don't notice any difference with how I see it from when shooting strong side with my "good" eye.
Old January 25, 2016, 11:38 PM   #4
NoSecondBest

If your astigmatism is corrected by your glasses, you won't see it in the red dot. As stated above, turn the intensity down and it lessens the effect even if you aren't wearing corrective lenses. I've shot red dot sights for twenty-five years on handguns and rifles for hunting and competition and they are a real help to "old eyes". Even is you're seeing a bit of a distortion, it doesn't usually cause much of a problem as far as how your shooting goes.
Old January 26, 2016, 11:50 AM   #5
Cheapshooter

Thanks. Looks like it will be the Vortex Spark II. About twice the price of the Sightmark, but has a no questions lifetime warranty, very good reviews, and I like the looks of it better for the Charger.
Old January 26, 2016, 11:53 AM   #6
Pond, James Pond

I get the exact effect described but with blue lights!!

And, no, it's not an allergy to Law Enforcement...

With my RDS, I found the red to be perfectly clear, so it was OK to use. So perhaps see if there are green dots or blue dots that will be clearer for you, given that it is the red that gives you trouble.
Old January 26, 2016, 01:25 PM   #7
Cheapshooter

James, I'm not sure what, if any problems I would have. Hopefully when I go to buy one they will have a display model I can look through.
It's just something I ran across reading reviews of red dot sights.
Old January 26, 2016, 01:41 PM   #8
wogpotter

Definitely try different colored units.
Astigmatism is basically the eye's lens is more a cylinder than a sphere. Because of this the different colors focus in different places as you rotate the relationship between eye & a line. (That's why they use those "wagon wheel" test cards to determine the amount & angle of the problem).
A different color may well focus in between the extremes of another making the effect less noticeable.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old January 26, 2016, 02:27 PM   #9
Hunter Customs

I used several different manufactures of sights with red-dots in them through out my competition career.
I have an astigmatism that seemed to gradually get worst and toward the end of my competition days the red-dot appeared to be a figure 8.
It bothered me enough that I decided to give up competition shooting.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
Old January 26, 2016, 02:28 PM   #10
V-fib

hey cheapshooter

I got a charger takedown a few months ago and what a blast to shoot!

My astigmatism was treated when i got lens implants for my cataracts.

I still have a very slight "bloom" when I look at the red dot in my reflex sight but not enough to be a prob. I use a rather cheap reflex sight that i originally got for my .357 revolver but it couldn't take the recoil. However on my charger it works very well.

by the way if you want to make a easy shellcatcher for your charger check out my post on thehighroad.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthrea...6#post10158956

v-fib
Old January 26, 2016, 03:18 PM   #11
zach_

Single dots only for me with my astigmatism. The other patterns don't work for me at all. It seems to get worse later in the day. If I shoot before noon or so, I get very little distortion with a single dot. I have a Sparc II on an AR, and a First Strike on a Buckmark. The auto brightness function on the First Strike works perfectly with my situation. The Sparc II can be a problem if I have it at full brightness.
Old January 26, 2016, 07:44 PM   #12
NoSecondBest

Quote:
I used several different manufactures of sights with red-dots in them through out my competition career.
I have an astigmatism that seemed to gradually get worst and toward the end of my competition days the red-dot appeared to be a figure 8.
It bothered me enough that I decided to give up competition shooting.
I had the same problem and in 2005 I got LASIK eye surgery. No more astigmatism and 20/15 vision afterwards. Still shooting.
Old January 28, 2016, 06:56 PM   #13
Cheapshooter

OK, decided on the Vortex SPARK II. Got to check one out at Gander Mountain when I bought the Charger Take Down yesterday. Used all my rewards points, and gift card on the Charger, so I didn't buy it there.
but it did bring the after tax cost down by $140. No noticeable comet tails, or blurred dots looking through the SPARK. I think it will work well for me.
I had about forty bucks in points at Cabela's, but they didn't have the Vortex SPARK II in stock, so I used the points to order one on line with free shipping to the store.