The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 9, 2014, 12:41 PM   #1
4V50 Gary
Staff

Sante Fe Trail powder horn

This is a test. I'm still learning to post images. I made this horn during lunch hour when we are not allowed to use any machinery. The horn was carved in the F&I manner and decorated with a more modern fur trade era theme. It has a brass filler plug in the butt and an ebony stopper. Donated to the Trinidad State Foundation, it sold for $225 in a silent auction.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg horn%20lightened%20background-2.jpg (21.8 KB, 757 views)
Old May 9, 2014, 01:09 PM   #2
Pahoo

Excellent work !!!

Horns are always some of my favorite accessories and I have a very nice collection. Wish I could see more detail but what I can see, looks excellent. Thank you for posting ......

Thanks and;
Be Safe !!!
Old May 10, 2014, 03:46 AM   #3
swathdiver

Nice work! I've been eyeing the steers in the pastures nearby and some of them would make some nice powder horns. Would like to make my own someday.
Old May 10, 2014, 07:25 AM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

Thanks guys. Here's an image of the other side. You can see part of the bear and the antelope.

Horns are easy. After you finish sculpting it, you draw what you want and do your best to scratch over the drawing. I used soot from an acetylene torch to blacken it and then polished the excess off with 0000 steel wool.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 1mZRjSvzwC2eqJoYY_geYt6X6nX2Vo-84CEKhPSoMD0.jpeg (42.7 KB, 713 views)
Old May 10, 2014, 08:21 AM   #5
Hawg

Quote:
Horns are easy.
That's easy for you to say. Very nice work on that one.
Old May 10, 2014, 09:43 AM   #6
Pahoo

Horn work is enjoyable !!!

Quote:
Nice work! I've been eyeing the steers in the pastures nearby and some of them would make some nice powder horns.
If they look that good on a steer right now, they will look better when you turn them into a powder-horn. I use to know a Veterinarian that would go out and de-horn steers, on a yearly basis. Unfortunately, he would wait till spring to bring them to me for my work that begins with boiling and "Popping" the cores out. This is strictly an outside activity. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old May 10, 2014, 10:49 AM   #7
Gemmer

Was your test to see if you could post photo's? If so you now know it works. Suggest you use a light colored background in the future.
Old May 10, 2014, 11:27 AM   #8
4V50 Gary
Staff

Hi Gemmer, this thread is part of "my" learning experience in posting pictures. I figured I might as well put something that the membership enjoys. Thanks for your suggestion on the lighter background color. I agree. The photos were taken for free by the school's propaganda officer (media relations) in their photo lab.

I have to take pictures of my Ruger 10/22 next. It has a handmade brass trigger guard, a modified 1803 Harper's Ferry rifle buttplate, a home made patchbox and half-round barrel and the stock was designed & carved by me in the manner of a longrifle. Our department head laughed when he saw the relief carving. "All that for a 10/22." He's right. It was a lot of work, but the purpose was to learn how to make a stock pattern and then to make a stock from the pattern. Not wanting to run with the herd and having done the half round barrel as a machine shop project the previous semester, the 10/22 was decided upon to sporterize. I hope to put buckhorn ladder rear sights on the barrel as well as a long rifle style front sight blade. The barrel will be blued (maybe even express blued) and the receiver cerrosafe later.
Old May 10, 2014, 02:48 PM   #9
Pahoo

Question ??

Quote:
The barrel will be blued (maybe even express blued) and the receiver cerrosafe later.
Gary, not trying to hi-jack your thread but could you explain the express blue process?

Thanks and;
Be Safe !!!
Old May 10, 2014, 05:51 PM   #10
4V50 Gary
Staff

Express Bluing

Express bluing solution may be purchased from Brownell's and that's what the school had for us as an alternative to browning or hot salt bluing (we can also parkerize, color case harden, nickel or cerrosafe at Trinidad State). Instructions are included and they are quite simple and unlike hot salt bluing, can be done at home. It is more durable too than hot salt bluing.

1) Clean the barrel. Acetone to remove the oils but so will other things. I put a dowel rod into the barrel and then put the rod into a vise.
2) heat the barrel. A propane torch passed over the workpiece works. You want it hot enough so that when the bluing is applied, it will sizzle.
3) Apply express blue with a cotton swab.
4) Dump into tank of boiling water for ten minutes.
5) Card.

Repeat 1-5 until desired blue is reached.

The Trapper has been expressed blued: http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=546403
Old May 10, 2014, 06:06 PM   #11
Pahoo

Sounds good to me.

Quote:
It is more durable too than hot salt bluing.
Very interesting and will have to follow-up on this. I have a barrel that I was thinking of doing a PlumBrown application but it really needs to be blued. I've never had any luck with cold blues and good to know I now have a better option. Can I do this indoors? Once again, I thank you .....

Be Safe !!!
Old May 10, 2014, 06:28 PM   #12
Sure Shot Mc Gee

I've heard the phrase before and forgot. (another senior moment) Just what does (card) mean?

BTW: Nice job on the horn.
Old May 10, 2014, 06:37 PM   #13
4V50 Gary
Staff

To card is to hit it with a wire brush.
Old May 10, 2014, 08:17 PM   #14
Hawg

I wouldn't card with a wire brush. I'd use steel wool or burlap.
Old May 10, 2014, 08:19 PM   #15
4V50 Gary
Staff

We had a soft wire brush on a wheel with which we carded it. A stiff wire brush can remove too much of the bluing.

Pahoo - it can be done indoors, but don't if you're married. Do it in the garage and cook over the camp stove.