The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 9, 2012, 12:08 PM   #1
Roland Thunder

Dillon 550 Shell Plate Issue

At the moment the problem I am having is that when there is a primer in the primer cup and a case in the shell plate, the operating arm won't go all the way forward to seat the primer, it stops just a little bit short. If I remove the case from the shell plate, I can then push the operator arm all the way to completion of the stroke and the primer punch pops up out of the primer cup with a primer on the end of it as it should. It's just that the arm won't go all the way forward as it should when there is a case present. It appears to me like the case is blocking the primer punch from extending upward. Does this sound logical, if so, how to correct?

Thanks for everones help, I've been getting really frustrated with this. I don't get home from work until 7pm est and Dillons support ends at 8pm so I only get one shot per day with them, so I'm getting most of my help here.
Old February 9, 2012, 12:27 PM   #2
SDC

It sounds like you might need to adjust the travel of the priming slide slightly, either forward or back.
Old February 9, 2012, 01:44 PM   #3
flintshooter

If you can't sort it out don't hesitate to call Dillon. They have THE BEST customer service I have ever encountered. I'm sure they can figure it out.
Old February 9, 2012, 02:14 PM   #4
Roland Thunder

Quote:
If you can't sort it out don't hesitate to call Dillon. They have THE BEST customer service I have ever encountered. I'm sure they can figure it out.
That's what I try to do but I don't get home until 7pm and their technical support closes at 8pm est so that only gives me an hour to try something new and then call them if it doesn't work.
Old February 9, 2012, 02:28 PM   #5
tim s

It's simple, you need to realign the shellplate/primer arm by loosening the primer arm and with it slightly loosened, seat a primer and snug it back up with the seater extended. It should now be aligned. Remember the case spring retention deal is really easy to have more than necessary pressure agrivating any missalingment of the primer arm, you want it to barely push on an indexed case or it will missalign the case.
Old February 9, 2012, 02:46 PM   #6
dmazur

I haven't had this problem with my 550b, but I am familiar with how it works, generally.

I don't believe there is any kind of "indexing adjustment" for the sprocket. The index ball hole is in the shellplate platform, as is the hole for the primer punch.

There are two adjustments I'm aware of for the primer slide. The first is a setscrew (#13961) and this controls the travel in the "out" direction, so the primer cup properly locates under the primer magazine. The second is a capscrew (#14027) and the primer slide return spring post (#13924) hits it to contol travel in the "in" direction.

From what you are describing, the primer slide is centered in the hole in the shellplate platform, and the primer punch can fit through the shellplate platform as it is lowered onto the primer punch. (The primer punch doesn't actually pop up out of the primer cup, as it is fixed and the case is moving...)

So, the only thing I can think of is the shellplate is so loose it is permitting the case to "cock", interfering with proper primer seating.

Is the shellplate tight? It should be almost so tight it won't index.
Old February 9, 2012, 05:44 PM   #7
excelerater

sounds like your out ......loosen the primer chute (2 allen screws) a tad
then with the bolts loose pull the handle and let the primer cup certer itself
into the shellplate hole,tighten 2 allen head screws and recheck...rock on
Old February 9, 2012, 08:18 PM   #8
1Hobie

Good advice

I too own a 550b and enjoy loading with it. It can be challenging sometimes but only because I fix something until it's broken.

Everyone has already given good advice.

Here's a link to Dillon's site:

http://www.dillonhelp.com/rl550enghe.../rl550_pg1.htm

Good luck to you and rolling your own is always more fun.

Hobie
Old February 9, 2012, 10:46 PM   #9
Roland Thunder

I finally found out what is causing this problem. I can't believe it.

Left:Winchester 45ACP Right: Federal 45.ACP

I tossed all my Federals and haven't had a problem since
Old February 9, 2012, 10:52 PM   #10
1Hobie

Forgive my ignorance. Enlighten me on the difference. All I've ever loaded for the most part have been Feds. .45 ACP with no problems.

I'm curious as all I can see is that the WC's primer pocket is dirty and the Fed isn't. It also looks like a bevel on the Fed rim but I don't know how that effects the way the cartridge sits in the shellholder.

Regards,
Hobie
Old February 10, 2012, 09:05 AM   #11
Roland Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Hobie
Enlighten me on the difference
The opening is smaller on the Federal. So, the primer punch could not push the primer into the pocket. Every case I had trouble priming was a Federal. I tossed all the Federals and have had no more problem.

Quote:
It also looks like a bevel on the Fed rim but I don't know how that effects the way the cartridge sits in the shellholder.
Now that you mention it, I did have trouble getting them to stand up straight in the shell plate, I thought it was the way I had the "paper clip" set, I guess not.

Anyway, no more Federals

Btw........thanks for the Dillon link

Last edited by Roland Thunder; February 10, 2012 at 09:11 AM.
Old February 10, 2012, 09:15 AM   #12
flintshooter

I believe some ammo manufacturers are using small primers in their 45 acp rounds now. Obviously Federal and at least one other I think. One more thing to sort after collecting brass at the range.
Old February 10, 2012, 09:32 AM   #13
1Hobie

I do see the difference once you pointed it out. All of my Feds. are at least 10 years old so they have the larger primer pocket. That's why I never had any problems with large pistol primers.

BTW, you're welcome.

Hobie
Old February 10, 2012, 10:14 AM   #14
Roland Thunder

Quote:
Obviously Federal and at least one other I think
I saw on another board where Speer also uses small primers for 45's. Where would you get load data for 45's with small primers. Lymans and others manuals all specify larger primers.
Old February 10, 2012, 06:19 PM   #15
BigJimP

Any case I've ever seen using a small pistol primer in a .45acp case ...is marked as an " NT " case on the headstamp as well as "win" or "Fed" or whatever.....but "NT" cases are showing up in a number of mfg's .... ( but I can't tell if the case in your photo is marked NT or not...

It means an extra step ...to sort the brass ...and toss out the " NT " marked cases / and they'll often jam in the resizing / decapping station.