The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 28, 2020, 02:33 PM   #26
bac1023

Some beautiful high end pistols and great photos. You have exquisite taste in handguns.

Here's some 9mms from my collection. My pics aren't as nice...

Smith & Wesson Target Champion

Smith & Wesson PPC9

Smith & Wesson PPC9

Smith & Wesson 952-1

Smith & Wesson 952-2

Old March 28, 2020, 02:34 PM   #27
bac1023

Sig Sauer P226 Sport

Sig Sauer P226 X-Five L1

Sig Sauer P226 X-Five Short

Sig Sauer P210 Super Target

Sig Sauer P220

Old March 28, 2020, 03:52 PM   #28
BIGR

Nice collection indeed. I carried a 92F for years until I went to the 96F.

92F, not bad at all but I could always out do it by about 3 points, with a Sig 226 in 9MM.
Old March 28, 2020, 05:01 PM   #29
stephen426

Hey Classic12, what is that knurled ring on the front of the barrel on the Beretta in the first picture? Is that threaded for a suppressor? How are the laws on suppressors over there in Switzerland? Suppressors are a bit of a pain here. You have to get a tax stamp and there is like a 6 month wait after you pay for it.
Old March 28, 2020, 08:07 PM   #30
Classic12

Yes it’s threaded for a suppressor, I have a B&T impulse for it.

You need a special permit, but wait time is 1-2 weeks.
Old March 29, 2020, 02:44 AM   #31
raimius

Very nice collection!
Old March 30, 2020, 09:32 AM   #32
Desmosedici

That Beretta 92 in stainless is beautiful!
Old April 1, 2020, 08:41 AM   #33
the45er

Splendid collection - splendid photography. Well done!
Old April 1, 2020, 09:40 PM   #34
CUBAN REDNECK

Incredibly nice collection, thank you for sharing. I especially like the P38 and P7.
Old April 2, 2020, 08:15 AM   #35
ToddRvs66

Really nice collection,

Question and please forgive my ignorance on this but, I thought you were not allowed to own pistols in Switzerland and especially not NATO military caliber pistols. At least that is what the media keeps telling us here in the good old USA.

What are the requirements and training needed to own handguns and rifles in your country.

Also is it true that you are allowed to keep your Military issue rifle at your home and what make and model would that be. Also are you required to buy your own rifle or does the government purchase it for you.

Sorry for all of the questions I am just curious as to what is involved in owning firearms in other countries

Thanks
Old April 2, 2020, 11:43 PM   #36
TunnelRat

Quote:
Question and please forgive my ignorance on this but, I thought you were not allowed to own pistols in Switzerland and especially not NATO military caliber pistols. At least that is what the media keeps telling us here in the good old USA.
Curious, what media told you that?
Maintain situational awareness
Old April 3, 2020, 12:45 AM   #37
Ignition Override

Keep in mind also, that the Czechs can routinely acquire a handgun carry permit.

My impression is that the Swiss civilians can not get a carry permit.

"Snejdarek", over at TheHighRoad, is a Czech attorney who frequently works with his Parliament regarding gun freedoms.

*He can probably explain some of the basic differences between some of the Euro Zone countries.
He has often clarified for Americans how distorted our perceptions tend to be, regarding various "European" or British gun laws, and also how the Czech President (a lady) has resisted pressure from the European bureaucrats to cave in,
"bow down" to their royalty.
Old April 3, 2020, 03:46 AM   #38
hemiram

Very nice. A couple of the pictured guns are some of the few guns I want and then I am done with buying handguns.
Old April 3, 2020, 10:37 AM   #39
Classic12

9 mm semi automatic pistols

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddRvs66 View Post
Really nice collection,

What are the requirements and training needed to own handguns and rifles in your country.

Also is it true that you are allowed to keep your Military issue rifle at your home and what make and model would that be. Also are you required to buy your own rifle or does the government purchase it for you.

Sorry for all of the questions I am just curious as to what is involved in owning firearms in other countries

Thanks
We can have handguns, rifle, SBR, full auto, heavy machine guns, almost anything in any caliber.

Italy and France had a military caliber restrictions, so Italy would have guns in .30 Luger or 9X21 instead of 9 mm Parabellum (NATO) and France rifles in .222 Rem instead of .223.

Switzerland has the reputation to be a very gun friendly country, especially compared to neighbouring countries in Europe.

However new gun laws are being introduced under the pressure of the European Union with whom Switzerland has bilateral commercial trade accords.

You need to apply for a gun permit at the bureau of arms for each gun. Cost is $ 50 per permit. For that you obviously need a virgin criminal record. You may put up to three guns on the same permit but those have to be bought the same day from the same seller. That leads to some regrouping amongst sellers at gun shows, and also to some compulsive buying, to fill the third line and amortise the permit.

We used to be allowed to carry, concealed only, but that now requires another permit which is nearly impossible to get unless your profession requires it. Private transaction used to be allowed without permit but that’s no longer the case.

We are still allowed to acquire and possess full auto weapons for collection purposes, or professional needs. Those require an exceptional permit, which has a few more conditions required, such as already having a small collection, a bolted safe, bolts have to be stored separately and another permit is required to shoot them.

This limits interest in them and they are therefore fairly cheap here, say $ 2-2500 for an M16, $ 1500 for a Glock 18, HK MP5 start at $ 2000, a Thompson starts at $ 1800 etc..

The Swiss army is a militia / conscripts army. The particularity was that service was spread over years, you started with basic training at 18 for four months (plus another three if you go to under officer school), then you’d have a repeating or training three weeks course every year until a certain age, depending on your rank. I think it used to be close to 40 yrs for private, and up for officers.

At the end of you service you have the possibility to keep your service rifle (for private) or pistol (for officers). Therefore attics and gun shops are littered with old straight pull rifles, Stgw 57 and 90 (full auto bits are removed) Swiss revolvers, Lugers, P210 and 220. Nowadays and with the end of the Cold War 30 years ago, the Swiss army has been drastically reduced and professionalised, went from 600’000 potential soldiers including reservists to abt 150’000 today. It’s still conscripts but shorter and a lot more kids get away without having to do it. Which in a way is a shame, as it’s good life introduction for the 18 yr old knuckleheads (my son in law was sadly exempted, it would have done him a world of good).

Last edited by Classic12; April 3, 2020 at 03:23 PM.
Old April 3, 2020, 11:06 AM   #40
GarandTd

Classic12, that was an insightful explanation. I have to admit, I don't have much knowledge of the gun laws in other countries. It seems like Europe varies dramatically from one country to the next much like the laws from one state to the next within the US. I'm guessing that many countries have their own "work arounds" to some laws as well.