The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old May 4, 2024, 05:43 AM   #1
Tool

Scammers on GunsAmerica?

I just made an order on GunsAmerica, and the seller only accepts checks or money order. No credit card payment is accepted.

Should I be worried about scamming?
Old May 4, 2024, 09:16 AM   #2
The Verminator

Paying with the credit card gives you some protection.

I have RARELY bought a gun without that protection.......

BUT........a couple of times the gun was so good that I was willing to risk it.

It worked out fine and I got a couple of great guns.

Some sellers just don't trust credit cards but they're still good people.

I did talk to them on the phone enough to get a feel for their trustworthiness and I'd recommend that for all sales.
Old May 4, 2024, 09:56 AM   #3
Tool

Many thanks for sharing your experiences and the excellent recommendations! This is very helpful.
Old May 4, 2024, 12:28 PM   #4
dogtown tom

I'm an FFL and don't take credit cards for firearms I have to ship.
The reason is chargebacks.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old May 4, 2024, 12:33 PM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

Sometimes the seller is a private party, who is just not set up to process credit cards. Checks can be cashed or deposited, money orders can be cashed, but someone without the business set up (like me) would have no way (and no idea) what to do with a payment by credit card.

The transfer is going to go through an FFL (or two) and a shipping company, but the sale is between you and the seller.

Cash, check, or money order are the traditional methods of payment. Virtually every business "takes the card" these days, but private sellers often don't.

The one's a would avoid like plague are the ones who "require" Venmo, Bitcoin, or some other totally electronic form of payment. Also be wary of anyone asking to directly access your account "for your (or their) "convenience".
Old May 4, 2024, 07:59 PM   #6
5whiskey

Yeah 44amp hit it. I've sold on Gunbroker, but I'm a private party and I don't have credit card point of sale abilities. If you buy from me, it's a check or money order. As long as the user has a profile with previous good feedback, it's likely legit. Of course there's always the exception, but yeah the auction sights requiring check or money order is fair. I would send a cashiers check or money order. Not only do you not have to wait for a personal check to clear before the seller ships, but there are some protections built in to those instruments. Gets lost in the mail? You'll get your money back eventually. Plus you're not giving up your personal checking account number to a potential mail thief.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946