The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 16, 2009, 11:43 AM   #1
w_houle

Ammo choices 1873 Uberti .45 ACP

Currently my Uberti has a .45 Colt cylinder, but am contemplating a .45 ACP cylinder for it. Is there any ammunition (besides +p) to stay away from?
Old July 16, 2009, 12:09 PM   #2
Big Ugly Tall Texan

I don't think Uberti makes a .45 ACP cylinder

I have been interested in a .45 ACP SA revolver as a belt partner to my Taurus PT1911 so this post perked me up.

http://www.uberti.com/firearms/singl..._cattleman.php

I checked the Uberti website and couldn't find a 1873 Cattleman in .45 ACP.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." - Hastings' Third Law
Old July 16, 2009, 12:31 PM   #3
mec

Ive shot several rugers and ubertis with the extra acp cylinder. standard ball ammo, in my examples has hit to the same poa as 45 acp and frequently makes smaller groups. I also use a soft ball load pretty much equivalent to hardball but with lead round nosed bullets.

A friend found a cylinder at a gunshow that fits several of his ubertis with no modification. I don't know how much luck was involved in this.
Old July 16, 2009, 12:39 PM   #4
w_houle

I have seen .45 ACP cylinders for it on Midway USA and VTI gun parts.
Old July 18, 2009, 08:40 AM   #5
w_houle

Nothing? Dont use copperjacketed bullets, or hollow points, or... anything?
Old July 18, 2009, 11:43 AM   #6
mec

the conversion cylinders for percussion revolvers have suggestions that use should be restricted to cowboy action loads. the uberti saa cylinders are a bit thicker than those on first and second generation colts and should be perfectly fine with any saami load. +P might cause early loosening but wouldnt cause catastrophic failure.
Old July 19, 2009, 06:52 AM   #7
breed

i picked up a 45ACP cylinder for my uberti 1873 a few weeks back. from brownells. stock number (935-000-252)...price 127.81...i really enjoy shooting it. i have run about 400 rounds of pmc bronze 230 grs.fmj throw it with out any problems. i can get a box of 50 for $22 dollars. and i have no problem finding ammunition for it. my 1873 pietta shoots 45lc at close to $40 a box and there impossible to find.
Old July 19, 2009, 09:41 AM   #8
breed

brownells are a little on the high side with there cylinders price's for the uberti imo. if you look around you can find them for $90 to $100. but at the time brownells were the only one to have them in stock. it would seem that a lot of people are changing over to 45acp. vti and a few other place's i talked to said they can't keep them in stock.
Old November 10, 2011, 11:03 PM   #9
epwrangler

This is somewhat later than you r posts but I just put a 45 ACP cylinder in my hombre. I too got it from Brownells as they were the place with it in stock. IOt was not too hard to fit, Just some careful filing on each end.