The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 1, 2019, 02:30 PM   #1
hal9000

Another dumb optic selection question?

I'm sure this has been discussed ad Infinitum, but search just flat out doesn't work from my phone. Sorry.

I haven't bought a scope in at least a decade, and I'm not up to speed on what's available now, especially from less well known companies. I was considering a vortex, but the last few warranty experiences on my binos have left me cold on the company, so I'm not sure.

Does anyone have any recommendations on what brands or models to look at for reasonable quality scopes that aren't budget buster's (I don't need a $2k scope)? Max range I need to worry about wouldn't exceed 500 yds, recoil would be from a 7-08. My biggest want is consistency/repeatability in the turret adjustments.

Thanks all!
Old February 1, 2019, 02:35 PM   #2
clockwork65

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't answer that... (OK, sorry, had to.)

I've only had good experiences with Vortex (can I ask what went wrong?)... but for lower end scopes I have a Nikon Buckmaster II 4-12 on my "beat around" rifle and it actually works very well. For $160 or so on Amazon, you could easily shoot at those ranges and not have to worry about a $1000 scope breaking.
Old February 1, 2019, 03:02 PM   #3
std7mag

I've been satisfied with Vortex overall. But i buy the less expensive models.
Really like the CrossfireII. Dislike the Diamondback series.
Not enough for what you are paying.

I do have a Sightron STAC 4-20X50. Kinda overkill for 500 yards, but they do make a 3-16X42 STAC also.
Their SI entry scopes are nothing to sneeze at either.

Leupold is always a good choice also.

So with your budget in mind i'm not gonna suggest the Revic.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old February 1, 2019, 04:12 PM   #4
Tallest

I have a Leupold VX Freedom 4-12 x 40 on my 7-08 Ruger. Where I hunt gives me shots 10-407 yds. While the longest shot I have taken there is 270 yds, I feel confident that if I wanted to take a 400 yd shot, I would have enough optic.

As far as standing up to recoil, a friend has the same optic in the 3-9 x 40 on his 45-70, and it has given him no trouble.

"All men are ignorant. The topics of our ignorance may vary, but the nature of the world is that no man may know everything." ~ R Jordan
Old February 1, 2019, 04:58 PM   #5
hal9000

Took me a moment to catch the Kubrick reference, but thanks for the chuckle!

Regarding vortex, their customer service has been great in terms of politeness and helpfulness, can't knock them for that in the slightest. But I've had to deal with lost records, replacements in unsatisfactory condition or falling product quality compared to the original, and one incident of receiving a past due invoice for the retail price of a warranty replacement a year afterwards. I get the feeling they aren't that organized. I may still go with a vortex (seems like there are a lot of sales floating around) but I've just come to expect a train wreck if I need service.
Old February 1, 2019, 05:15 PM   #6
taylorce1

Are you looking for a basic hunting scope in 3-9 power or are you looking for something to pull double duty? Some basic info on what you're wanting power wise or how you plan to use it would help with suggestions immensely. If I were scoping a 7-08 to hunt with I'd probably go low end 2X and high end 10X on magnification, much over 10X and you start needing parallax adjustment.
Old February 1, 2019, 05:36 PM   #7
hal9000

No double duty in the sense of swapping rifles, but admittedly this is a switch barrel rifle and I might eventually buy a varmint caliber barrel so that's worth thinking about. I'll probably go with something with a little more magnification on the top end just out of personal preference (maybe16-18x). Parallax adjustment is no biggie but I don't need a lot of bells and whistles. I'd rather put those dollars into better quality optics and adjustments.

Think deer/elk in ponderosa and pinyon forests, and maybe coyote or rabbit as well eventually.
Old February 1, 2019, 06:22 PM   #8
TXAZ

What's your budget if it's not $2K? That will drive most of the recommendations I expect.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old February 1, 2019, 08:01 PM   #9
hal9000

No specific budget. I know that's not fair so let's say $400 or less to start. Really it's as much as necessary but as little as possible
Old February 1, 2019, 08:55 PM   #10
TXAZ

I like Vortex, but if you don't take a look at Bushnell. They're pretty underrated. They now have a no questions asked lifetime warranty. They're not a Khales, Nightforce, S&B or Steiner, but for $400 you can get a pretty decent optic.

There are also often some deals on really high end scopes that someone mounted it, tried it and didn't like and is listing it for 1/2 price. Check out the 50 forums and precision rifle blog.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old February 1, 2019, 09:03 PM   #11
Dufus

Leupold VX1 would fit the budget. I only have one, though.

I also have the VX3 which on average are 4X more costly.
Old February 1, 2019, 09:12 PM   #12
jmr40

The VX-1 and VX-2 have been discontinued and replaced by the VX Freedom. I have no personal experience with the new scope, but it splits the difference price wise and is reportedly about the same quality as the older VX-2. They claim price is reduced because they offer far fewer variants and it simplifies production. Based completely on reputation and past experience with Leupold I don't think it would be a bad choice in the $250 range.

Priced right at or slightly under $200 the Burris FF-II is my favorite sub-$400 scope. To be honest at $200 I like it better than the $300 VX-2.

If you can go $400-$500 the Leupold VX3i or Meopta scopes would be where I'd put my money. With Meopta at about $500 the 1st choice.

The $400ish Nikons are good scopes too. For that matter pretty much all scopes with similar prices are of about the same quality. I just comes down to which features are more important to you.

Winston Churchill
Old February 1, 2019, 10:42 PM   #13
hal9000

Right on guys. Thanks for all the info and the recommendations. I think this is enough to get me going.

Have a great weekend everyone, and thanks again!
Old February 1, 2019, 11:44 PM   #14
taylorce1

I think you might be interested in some of these in your price range.

Burris Fullfield E1 4.5-14X42 on sale $322

Here are a few more.
Old February 2, 2019, 06:43 AM   #15
eastbank

leupold 2.5x8.
Old February 2, 2019, 07:35 AM   #16
Mobuck

"My biggest want is consistency/repeatability in the turret adjustments. "

I'm not a "knob twiddler"-- I'm in the "set um and forget um" crowd. Expecting mid-priced scopes to hold up to constant twiddling is a stretch IMHO.
Not sure what sort of issue you had with Vortex but my experience has all been positive.
I splurged on a Burris E1 2-7x32 for my winter EDC AR two years ago and have only touched the adjustments once since and I'd bet a $20 the zero is right where I left last March.
Burris and Vortex are my brand(s) of choice within my price point.
Old February 2, 2019, 11:57 AM   #17
Ricklin

Depends

You may also want to consider the weight of the scope and good mounts. Will of course depend on how and where you hunt.

I have seen some pretty large differences in weight.
Old February 2, 2019, 12:25 PM   #18
Erno86

I kinda like the Vortex line of riflescopes.

I just mounted a Vortex Optics Viper PST Gen II Second Focal Plane 5-25x50 ($899) on my BSA Martini International Mark II in 22lr. I do like the click adjustments.

I also like the Vortex Viper in 3-15x44 ($799).

I do have a Vortex Razor HD Gen II 1-6X mounted on one of my AR's. Though the 1x setting does seem to have a little aberration.

--- George Orwell
Old February 2, 2019, 12:54 PM   #19
Saltydog235

Take every $400.00 scope, throw it in a bucket and pick one. They’re virtually all the same with most glass sourced from LOW and ground to the same specifications. The only differences are reticle, mechanics, and case which are going to be very similar.
Old February 2, 2019, 01:32 PM   #20
T. O'Heir

500 yards is too far for a 7mm-08, but any 'deer suitable' scope will do nicely. 2.5 to 8, 3 to 9, etc. The brand doesn't matter much.
High magnification scopes will not fix the ballistics or make a hunting rifle into a target rifle. They will add weight though.
Every bullet weight from 120 to 140 grains drops like a brick past 300 yards when sighted in at 200. At 500, they're roughly 4 feet low. Remaining energy isn't horrible with 140's though.
Old February 2, 2019, 03:05 PM   #21
rickyrick

Been impressed with vortex scopes. I’m a basic scope kinda guy.
Also have a mueller which is very basic but nice.
Vortex is better than mueller to me.
Old February 2, 2019, 04:16 PM   #22
Nathan

I too am a Vortex fan.
My last 3 scopes were a:
Vortex Diamonback 2-8x32
Super Sniper 3-15x44
Vortex Viper 4-16x44

All 3 are serving me well $250-$600 range.
Old February 2, 2019, 04:19 PM   #23
Nathan

Quote:
I was considering a vortex, but the last few warranty experiences on my binos have left me cold on the company, so I'm not sure.
Really surprised to hear this. My dad has been thrilled. Bought some low-medium end binos for truck use. He broke the strap holder off. They sent him new Vipers where that piece is fundamentally stronger. The have been good so far.
Old February 2, 2019, 07:44 PM   #24
hal9000

Quote:
I'm not a "knob twiddler"-- I'm in the "set um and forget um" crowd.
Generally I'm not either, but my hunting rifles are an exception because a) I adjust every time I use a different bullet (I don't fling 140's at everything) and b) in the case of this rifle, since it's a switch barrel setup I might eventually try to change calibers completely without changing optics. If the scope has any consistency, it would speed up the zeroing process. I know I know, that's a big ask unless I pour $ into the scope, but I figured it was worth asking. Like I said, haven't shopped scopes for a LONG time. I thought maybe there were a few standouts to look for even if they miss the price I tossed out as a conversation starter.
Old February 2, 2019, 07:54 PM   #25
hal9000

Quote:
500 yards is too far for a 7mm-08

??? 7-08 is new to me, but I grew up hunting with a 7mm and as long as the MV is appropriate (quick check of Nosler's factory ballistics looks good) I don't see how it would be any less capable than what I've shot in the past unless there's some other issue that I'm not aware of. Twist rate issue maybe?