The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 1, 2017, 04:03 AM   #26
FrankenMauser

I have a 14" free-float tube on my 14.25" .475 Tremor barrel, because I like to grip my ARs about 12" from the receiver (and need room for the fingers forward of said 12-inch mark).
Does that make it inappropriate, too long, too tacticool, and "incorrect"?

My 20"-barreled 6x45mm varmint upper has a handguard that's nearly 18" long.
Too long?
Maybe for some people.
Too long for me?
Nope. The end of the tube is where the bipod mounts.

My 20"-barreled "5.56 Match"-chambered heavy-barrel varmint rig (whatever a "5.56 Match" chamber is ) has a carbine gas system (!) with a set of custom-fit rifle-length GI handguards installed.
Too long?
Oxymoronic?
I don't think so. It works for the intended purpose, and I built the whole thing for under $200.

On the flip side...
My 7.5" AR pistol (5.56) has a 4" free-float tube installed. ...Not because I needed the free-float, or the stubby 4 inches; but because that's about all that'll fit the bloody thing.
Too short?....
Old February 1, 2017, 09:31 AM   #27
Road_Clam

"Are grips getting too bulky ?"

"Are buttstocks getting too foldy ?"

"Are triggers getting too flat" ?

The magnificant attraction to the AR is modular adaptability. Every shooter has likes and dislikes. I'm simply a traditional "rifle length" shooter as i shoot a lot using fundemental sling techniques out to 600 yds. I also have a M4 platform for plinking and cqb type recreational training. No need to dissect why's and how comes. Like it for versatility.

Last edited by Road_Clam; February 1, 2017 at 01:33 PM.
Old February 1, 2017, 10:33 AM   #28
stagpanther

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^+1
Old February 1, 2017, 12:03 PM   #29
rickyrick

My choice on hand guard lengths usually are determined by cost. I could get a longer one at the same quality, but those couple of inches of tube can get expensive with a quality brand. So I save some money for my purposes, but I'm willing to give up some length to get a better guard.

If it looks funny on some rifles, I'm ok, no one but me sees them.
Old February 1, 2017, 12:33 PM   #30
Dragline45

I have a 15" KMR on my 20" BCM upper and absolutely love it. When I am doing rapid fire drills at close range the extra length lets me get a hold further up and really assists on keeping that gun on target.
Old February 1, 2017, 01:19 PM   #31
MarkCO

There are handguards from 4" to 20". Buy the one you like, let others buy the ones they like.
Old February 1, 2017, 10:50 PM   #32
PoiDog

One upper I bought had a quad rail on it. It felt like I was grabbing a pineapple whenever I held it.

Since I don't work security in the world's largest mall, I had no need to hang everything I own from my rifle.

I found a nice free float handguard made by a local machinist for $50. It works very well and feels great.

I've seen all sizes and styles, and many of them are scary expensive. Many times they are more expensive than any other part on the rifle.

Whatever floats your boat.
Old February 2, 2017, 05:04 PM   #33
BluRidgDav

Just for the record, I'm not asking a question about: style, fashion, looks, personal preference, etc. If something "works" for you, I'm happy for ya.

But, I'm beginning to wonder about the mechanical limitations of the barrel nut. It wasn't originally designed to support a whole bunch of weight, all by itself, out at the end of a long tube. And with some companies now completely re-designing their upper receivers to reinforce the barrel nut junction, maybe we're reaching the mechanical limit of that small ring of metal?

Thanx again, Dave.
Old February 7, 2017, 05:44 PM   #34
smee78

I agree with road clam, you can change hand guards out every day if you like. Some of mine have regular size guards and a few have super long, options is what I love about ar's.
Old February 7, 2017, 06:02 PM   #35
stagpanther

I think this is the definitive answer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svmYu4n7_nk
Old February 7, 2017, 06:14 PM   #36
themalicious0ne

Jim. If you are looking for handgyards that go to the tip of the barrel, midwest industries just came out with rails that due that to be used in coordination with their muzzle breaks.

http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/...mi-g3m17xr.htm

I have seen them at their shop and they look pretty cool if you ask me. I am not sure of use but I do love my irons. The thing that surprised me was the weight. I was expecting it to feel much heavier than it was.
Old February 8, 2017, 01:19 PM   #37
Tallest

I don't think you're over thinking it. I've discussed this with a friend who has built a LOT of AR rifles, carbines and pistols.

The free-floating hand guards are strong, but this doesn't negate the leverage they can put on the upper receiver. 100 years could go by and this wouldn't be a problem, but once you run into a nasty circumstance like dropping your rifle on rocky ground, getting it bound up while in a tree stand, or using it as club while clearing a room, you've given it a lot higher chance to torque and ruin the upper receiver. ARs aren't meant to take a LOT of physical abuse like old WWII battle rifles.

So to me it's a matter of building your rifle for what you want, then accepting the risks that come with an uncontrolable set of future circumstances.

I for one love the look of the long hand guards, and will probably build a 300 blackout carbine with one. But you can bet I'll handle it differently with that torque in mind.

"All men are ignorant. The topics of our ignorance may vary, but the nature of the world is that no man may know everything." ~ R Jordan
Old February 10, 2017, 12:28 AM   #38
shaunpain

I think the length of a handguard is dictated largely by barrel length and gas system. I always opt to get the length past the gas block but not by much. If the gun is getting a bipod, then I want it as close to the muzzle as is practical. I pretty much exclusively endorse Midwest Industries SS Series slim rails and my upcoming 16" midlength will be getting a 12" handguard. My Aero M5 18" rifle length wears a 15" MI rail and has a bipod darn near the end of it. My 11.5" gun has a YHM 10" because I don't want to grip a bare barrel. I own a 16" gun with what I think is a 8-10" rail and like the look but the slim rails are so light these days it hardly matters with the extra length. I don't own any guns with pinned FSBs and as such don't mess with delta rings or two piece handguards. Free float rails are typically a set-it-and-forget-it endeavor so they are not for everyone.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk
Old February 10, 2017, 02:37 AM   #39
DubC-Hicks

Back when free float handguards were predominantly quad rails and usually heavy, I kept them short. Right to the front sight base, or just past the low pro gas block.

These days, the 13.5" M Lok rail I just put on my 14.5" barrel upper only weighs 8oz, so going longer really has no disadvantages unless you're slinging up super tight with the sling attached at the end of the rail. The biggest advantages I see, is there's less hot barrel sticking out to burn myself or other things, and there's more handguard to set on objects I'm using as a rest, so my rest isn't putting pressure on the barrel.