The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old April 7, 2010, 05:58 PM   #1
Enoy21

How to avoid the CC "Tail" (Supertuck)

Hey guys , I was wondering if some of you Supertuck owners could give me some advice on the clip configuration, location and cant you use to help avoid the "tail" of tghe Grip base sticking out when you bend over or squat.

My Crossbreed Supertuck is very comfortable , but I can't seem to find a good configuration to avoid the tail sticking out when I bend over.

For reference I'm 5'7" about 165 - 32-33" waist.

I find a more forward cant on the hip to be a bit less comfortable because it changes the angle of the Kydex which allows less flex in the area.

Would more of a Kidney positioning do better ?

Just looking for experienced use and ideas that people have found to work well.

Thanks in advance.
Old April 7, 2010, 06:36 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I wear mine at about 330. When I tuck it in I just leave the shirt loosely tucked in that area particularly. I use the regular over the belt clips because, for one, no one knows what they're for anyway and two, the slightly "pillowed" shirt more or less covers them. Yes, when I bend over there is a bit of a "bump".... that no one notices but me.
Old April 7, 2010, 06:36 PM   #3
Hoss Fly

Sorry, never mind
Old April 7, 2010, 06:44 PM   #4
Enoy21

Thanks Peetza, That's about where I wear mine for now. I think mostly , with the correct shirts it wouldn't matter so much and it's just my paranoia.

What clip configuration have you find to offer the best conceal/comfort levels ? Right now I'm using From Clip bottom hole , back clip top hole. I'm thinking perhaps I need to reverse that to get a better angle for a 3:00-3:30 location and minimize tail.

I used to wear a Blackberry on that side with the belt clips and when my shirt was untucked I never really thought or cared what it looked like but I'm sure it looked very similar.

I feel like if I try to increase the cant much more the above comfort issue comes into play as well as the drawing motion with the grip tilted so far forward without moving to a kidney hold. ( which increases tail in some situations. )

Ok Hoss ..... I'm curious as to what you thought that title was REALLY saying. lmao.

Last edited by Enoy21; April 7, 2010 at 06:52 PM.
Old April 7, 2010, 09:33 PM   #5
(BH)

For me, it's best concealed at closer to 4:00 with the front clip in the third hole and the back in the second. Of course, that may not work for you depending on what gun you are carrying. So.....What gun are you carrying?

To be honest, nobody notices. If someone were to notice, they most likely either wouldn't know what it was or they're carrying too. In the rare event that some anti did notice, what could be the worst to happen? I assume you are responsible and permitted to carry, so screw em'. I doubt anyone is going to raise hell about a bulge in a shirt. Unless this is a work or family thing where you are concerned about people you know, I wouldn't sweat the "SuperTuck Tail".

I totally respect the fact that you want to stay as concealed as possible. To each his own. I hope you don't think I'm trying to criticize you, I'm just hoping to perhaps give you some peace of mind .Personally, I guess I just don't much care if someone happens to notice, but I don't ever carry in situations where I would have to deal with negative consequences as a result of being "made".

In all honesty, you will probably never be able to completely hide a gun on your person for someone who is looking for a gun. There will almost always be a bump, hump or bulge. Luckily, almost nobody will ever be looking. These day people are so busy texting or running their mouths you could OC all day without being noticed by more than a few people.

It matters not how a man dies, but how he lives. The act of dying is not of importance, it lasts so short a time.
-Samuel Johnson

Last edited by (BH); April 7, 2010 at 09:43 PM.
Old April 8, 2010, 06:34 AM   #6
tackdriver

Quote:
In all honesty, you will probably never be able to completely hide a gun on your person for someone who is looking for a gun. There will almost always be a bump, hump or bulge. Luckily, almost nobody will ever be looking. These day people are so busy texting or running their mouths you could OC all day without being noticed by more than a few people.
I remember when my wife was pregnant and we lived in "the country," there were a few times when I was so ragged that I tossed on a flannel shirt over a full-size 1911 in a cheapo nylon hip holster that was really barely concealed. No one ever said anything or flipped out, not even my wife.
Old April 8, 2010, 07:08 AM   #7
Enoy21

The gun I'm carrying is a g23. I imagine you guys are right , and most of it is just paranoia. Having my CCW makes it completely legal in places I carry in, I would just prefer not to have to deal with that reaction where possible. But I'm sure I'm making too big of a deal over it.

Thanks for the thoughts on the positioning. I played with it alot last night and it seemed the more I worried about hiding the tail , the more uncomfortable it got. lol

I just see so many of the videos of people with virtually NO visibility..... but again that may be clothing.
Old April 8, 2010, 07:57 AM   #8
ClayInTx

You have a 32” waist and think you need advice???

The videos are posed, I spot many carriers and it seems there’s no way to completely conceal; bulges, prints, draping, etc.

Anyway, those who don’t carry won’t notice and those who do won’t care.
Old April 8, 2010, 10:44 AM   #9
(BH)

Quote:
Anyway, those who don’t carry won’t notice and those who do won’t care.
Precisely.

It matters not how a man dies, but how he lives. The act of dying is not of importance, it lasts so short a time.
-Samuel Johnson
Old April 8, 2010, 11:13 AM   #10
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by twellons
I just see so many of the videos of people with virtually NO visibility..... but again that may be clothing.
Some of it is also just advertising.

Don't worry, I was all freaked out about it for a few weeks too. Usually I go around untucked. There were a few times that I accidently exposed my gun and thought "Oh crap, no I'm in trouble!" but, lo and behold, no one noticed. Not even once. We had a guy in church who carries a full-size 357mag in a shoulder holster and, as he was getting off stage after making announcements one day, his jacket blew open and exposed the gun plainly for all to see. There was no reaction at all from anyone. No murmuring, no gasping, nothing. I thought sure that someone would ask him about it afterword, but the only person who mentioned it was one guy who knew that he carried and was poking fun at him for "flashing" the church. I'm convinced that no one else even saw it.

I'm pretty sure that you could wrap your gun in spandex and 90% of people would never even see it.
Old April 8, 2010, 12:20 PM   #11
Enoy21

Obviously because they would be so quick to look away asking themselves " Was that guy REALLY wearing spandex ? "

WOW.

lol
Old April 8, 2010, 12:46 PM   #12
ATW525

Bend at the knees, not at the waist and the grip printing will be less of an issue.

Are you wearing your shirt tucked or untucked? While I don't have a Supertuck, I have an MTAC which is a similar design. I find a tucked in shirt billowed out slightly around the waistband almost completely eliminates printing with my Glock 36.
Old April 8, 2010, 02:55 PM   #13
Mr. James

I frequently carry a Springfield-Armory Champion (a Commander-sized 1911) in a tuckable holster - as others have mentioned, by "blousing" the shirt just a bit at the waist, you effectively conceal the grip and, in the process, most or all of the clip. +1 on using the knees - it's better for you, too!

We really do worry too much about this. I open carry more often than I conceal, and its astonishing (to me, at least) how few people notice.

"When law and morality contradict each other, the citizen has the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense or losing his respect for the law." —Frederic Bastiat
Old April 8, 2010, 03:03 PM   #14
Enoy21

I've found that in most cases .... with my build and Hair cut , I've been told I often look like a policeman.

I see guys in restaurants often that Open Carry and with their demeanor , dress and hair cut I often think to myself " That's probably a plain clothed cop ".

I've considered doing that myself on occasion , but haven't yet for fear that some " Assumed no firearms" locations that don't have signs up .... May start putting them up if they see too many people coming in openly showing firearms.

Last edited by Enoy21; April 8, 2010 at 03:24 PM.