The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 19, 2019, 07:50 PM   #26
jrothWA

Shot for Squuirels...

For smaller gauges, use the #6, and MOD or tighter chokes,
for 12 & 16, consider using #5 shot and you'll minimize retained shot in the meat.

For scopes, consider a 1 -4X variable, and sight-in @ 25 yards as the maximum "point-blank" will be 32 yards. Try grouping various ammo brands to see which groups /tighter and use that ammo.

I use a 16GA with either a SKT or MOD choked barrel, ,22 rifle is either, Ruger 77/22, Marlin Model 60 or Model 100.

Four inch revolver and Woodsman, sometime gets carried .

Just take your time and ENJOY the woods!
Old February 19, 2019, 08:38 PM   #27
ThomasT

Where I used to live I had a Squirrel Problem. I had the only pecan tree for 200 yards in any direction and the squirrels knew about it. I killed way over 200 squirrels out of that one tree before I stopped counting. Some times I used CB 22s but most times it was my old Sheridan Blue Streak in 20 caliber and after that gun wore out a Crosman/Benjiman 22 caliber pump gun. Four or five pumps from either gun was more than enough for clean kills. The pellets matter more than the power.

I Don't like camo but I learned that camo clothes really confused squirrels. They see you but can't figure out what you are. I had one squirrel climb down a limb so close I thought the little sucker was going to jump on me. I waved my arms and he ran off.

About any .410 load should kill a squirrel. They are not that tough. Just never pick up a wounded one. They will bite the hell out of you.

Tags
.410 , single shot shotgun , squirrel hunting