The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old September 14, 2012, 07:18 AM   #1
SnowTrekker

What is your preferred carry method?

I am curious to know how you are carrying your handgun. Are you carrying strong side hip? Behind the hip? Appendix carry? Small of back? Ankle? Shoulder holster? Do you change how you carry depending on clothing, which gun, etc? Which have you found to be most comfortable while sitting, driving, etc?
Old September 14, 2012, 07:26 AM   #2
jimbob86

Quote:
Do you change how you carry depending on clothing, which gun, etc?
No. I'd hate to need it and reach and not have it be where it always is.
Old September 14, 2012, 07:53 AM   #3
SRH78

I carry a full size iwb at 5:00.
Old September 14, 2012, 07:54 AM   #4
Woody55

Pocket holster. I take it out of my pocket in the car. If I'm working outside (we live in a rural area), I have a rifle or shotgun - mainly for pigs and poisonous snakes.
Old September 14, 2012, 08:02 AM   #5
Grant D

I always have my LCP in my back pocket, and usualy my S&W Model 37 in my front pocket, or my LC9 in a IWB holster.I rotate my other handguns on occasion.
Old September 14, 2012, 09:28 AM   #6
TailGator

There is a lot to be said for consistency in how you carry, in that in an emergency you want to be able to react almost instinctively for the sake of speed. But at the same time, there are necessary variations in how one dresses for different occasions.

I use an IWB holster at about 3:30 or 4:00 with a cover garment about 95% of the time. I do have some other holsters for occasional use:

A tuckable holster worn in the same position when a cover garment isn't possible. In my own particular case, I frequently remove my jacket to don a robe before going to the piano at church on Sudays.

A pocket holster gets occasional use for walking the dog, getting the mail, or rarely a quick trip to the market - times when it just doesn't feel worth the trouble to put on a belt and IWB holster just for a couple of minutes.

A fanny pack holster, used primarily for long car trips, but occasionally when I am running around in shorts or a bathing suit. Yeah, I know it doesn't fool anybody who is looking for it, but not many people are looking for it. And in the car, there is hardly a better place for your pistol than right in your lap, and I don't really feel a need to impress people at rest stops with my sartorial elegance. So I find it a handy thing to own.

You mentioned small of back carry, and I have to add that having tried it out I am not a fan at all. In addition to taking a lot of concentrated practice to avoid sweeping yourself or others on the draw, it is also very easy to have your cover garment ride up without you knowing it, leaving the handgun to be freely observed and perhaps even grabbed. There is also some concern about falling on the firearm and severely injuring your back, although reports of that actually happening aren't prevalent.
Old September 14, 2012, 09:35 AM   #7
PeterGreg

I only carry two ways, strong side OWB (about 9:00) strong side front pocket
Old September 14, 2012, 09:45 AM   #8
Mikey Idaho

Appendix IWB at either 1:00 or 11:00, I'm a lefty. Just depends on my pants/shorts since some have their belt loops in different spots that get in the way of my preferred 11:00

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2
Old September 14, 2012, 09:53 AM   #9
Stressfire

Spring/Summer - Pocket .380 OWB Strong side between 3 & 4 o' clock

Fall/Winter - Full size Beretta 92FS, 3" GP100, or Bersa 45 Compact all carried same position, but IWB - though the Bersa tends to ride SOB when it's carried
Old September 14, 2012, 10:14 AM   #10
ScaryWoody

I'm migrating my ccw's to Remora holsters for IWB carry. Requires no belt and holds whatever desired cant. I find them to be really easy to just place and go and it is comfortable all day.
Old September 14, 2012, 10:33 AM   #11
Strafer Gott

.38BG in a front pocket holster. 225 or 239 OWB around back 4:00.
225 is 9mm. 239 is .357 Sig. I'm using them interchangeably. 239 has five mags, while 225 has three. This might seem bass-ackwards, but a pocket .38 is quick, quick quick! Which is how things go down around here.
Old September 14, 2012, 01:36 PM   #12
Hook686

Pocket S&W J-Frame.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old September 14, 2012, 02:03 PM   #13
Dragline45

I cut the back pocket out of my old pairs of jeans and sew it into my pants or shorts at the 4-5 o'clock position. I absolutely hate the extra thickness of holsters and every holster I have ever bought rides WAAAYYYY too high for my liking. I don't need half the gun sticking above my waistband like 90% of the holsters out there. I carry my S&W 640 or my Ruger SR9C like this everyday.
Old September 14, 2012, 02:04 PM   #14
Terry A

Front pants pocket or, in colder weather, jacket pocket.
2 Thes 3:16 "Now may the Lord of peace Himself continually grant you peace in every circumstance. The Lord be with you all! "
Old September 14, 2012, 05:52 PM   #15
Kreyzhorse

I either carry OWB at 7 o'clock (I'm left handed) or I pocket carry in my left front pocket.

My OWB carry is typically a Springfield 1911 TRP or a Walther PPS. My pocket carry is. Ruger LCP.
Old September 14, 2012, 06:21 PM   #16
shep854

One more for pocket carry. One beauty of this is that by simply sliding your hand into the pocket, you can have a firm grip on your gun without appearing threatening or giving yourself away. Be sure to have the gun in a sturdy pocket holster, both to protect the gun and keep 'stuff' out, but to keep the gun properly positioned. An unholstered gun in a pocket will rotate around so that the grip is at the bottom of your pocket and the muzzle is, of course, pointed straight up! Hardly conducive to a solid grip or a quick draw and unsafe to boot!

Different carry methods may be necessary, but I keep remembering a video of a Special Forces soldier in Afganistan, who, when he grabbed for his pistol carried in a thigh holster, reflexively reached to his waist and got a handful of air!
Old September 14, 2012, 06:28 PM   #17
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Left or weak hand side butt forward. Started doing that in the military back about 1969 give or take a year and its just habit.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old September 14, 2012, 06:41 PM   #18
Riotready

I am still experimenting. I usually carry my pps or pm9 IWB right above my back pocket so I can give the illusion of going for my wallet then " surprise".. I hope it never comes to that though.
Old September 14, 2012, 07:48 PM   #19
foxytwo

I carry a Sig P250c 9mm in a strong side holster at 3 oclock in a leather holster of my making.
Old September 14, 2012, 09:27 PM   #20
SWIll

sw 638 right front pocket.
Old September 14, 2012, 11:37 PM   #21
rickmelear

Kahr P9 IWB at 4:00.
Old September 14, 2012, 11:47 PM   #22
BarryLee

I generally carry SIG P229 or GLOCK 26 IWB at about four o’clock both utilizing Milt Sparks holsters.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old September 15, 2012, 01:50 AM   #23
NWPilgrim

Most of the time I carry right side OWB appendix carry, untucked shirt with a G27 in a Glock holster of all things. I have about $300 of holsters in a box, and tried everythign else from 3 to 5 o'clock and finally found this combination is the most discrete, comfortable and handy.

The other holster I like is a straight up OWB kydex by Fiske I think it is. It has an Old Testament name like Guideon or something. Very minimalist and sturdy.

When I have to dress up more I carry a P3AT in the front pocket in a DeSantis holster and carry a G23 in the car.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old September 15, 2012, 02:56 AM   #24
9mmfan

Usually a Glock 19 IWB at 4:00 in a Comp-Tac Minotaur. I will, on occasion, carry a 642, or on an even more rare occasion, a 637. Either of these will be in a holster in my right front pocket. This is a nice option, as you can casually slip your hand in your pocket, and have your hand discretely on the gun.

I am fortunate in that I always dress pretty much the same, and only have to tuck in my shirt for the odd marryin' or buryin'. I am a kinda fat guy who likes roomy shirts to begin with, so it wasn't that much of a stretch to pack a little heat in the extra space. I have yet to carry in a suit. Maybe I should find Mike Hammer's tailor to make some "extra room for artillery" in the jacket. Then I can pack a "cold oiled" .45. Whatever that is. I digress. If it is cold enough for me to break out the Carhartt hooded jacket, I will sometimes carry the 642 in the inside breast pocket, in the same pocket holster. This is handy for in the car.
Old September 15, 2012, 10:00 AM   #25
JC57

It depends on the weather and my mode of dress. If I can wear a jacket or feel like looking like a slob with an untucked shirt, then either a high-ride pancake OWB or IWB at 3:00 strong side, and usually carry a semi-auto.

If not able to wear a concealment garment, then it's strong side front pocket, S&W J-frame or a .380 auto, in a pocket holster. When I get into the car I usually remove the gun and holster from my pocket and put it in the driver's side door or tuck it in IWB cross-draw, since it's virtually impossible to get to a pocket gun when seatbelted in without a lot of squirming.