The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 5, 2011, 10:31 AM   #26
Sleuth

Blackfeather, I'm not sure what you are suggesting - steel, cardboard, partial targets? I use partial targets a lot, usually those from
www.range-systems.com - they will sell individual targets!
Old July 5, 2011, 12:10 PM   #27
egor20

Quote:
BTW you said you were gonna put your family between you and the badguy..........sounds kinda like a human shield LOL. I knew what you meant.
Oh crap!!!!!!!!!
Yeh, what you knew is what I meant.

thanks

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old July 5, 2011, 01:39 PM   #28
BlackFeather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slueth
Blackfeather, I'm not sure what you are suggesting - steel, cardboard, partial targets? I use partial targets a lot, usually those from
www.range-systems.com - they will sell individual targets!
Kinda, yeah.

[Insert random irrelevant religious quote here]
Old August 12, 2011, 09:24 PM   #29
PH/CIB

Avancing while firing

They say in the Military it takes five or six guys advancing on a fixed position for every one soldier defending that fixed position. There is a reason they say that, most of those five or six guys are going to end up wounded or dead.

While there may be some situation where advancing while firing is the best situation for civilians, it is usually only a tactic for heavily armed, with body armour and a team for law enforcement and the military. In most situations I would only move foward to cover and would prefer hitting the dirt firing back and taking whatever cover I could find or moving laterally to the enemy to find cover. Most guys in combat who remained standing or even kneeling were wounded or killed, however if I am upright running left or right of the enemy's position while firing at the enemy while trying to get to cover is certainly better than just standing there blasting away. My combat was without body amour I do not know what the combat SOP for Soldiers with body armour is.

As for room clearing if you can, don't do it. There is an old saying "Never go to a Man, always if you can let a Man come to You, the First Thing the Eye sees is Movement" If you know you have an intruder in the home, collect your family and call 911 and go or stay in a preplanned room where you can provide hopefully hard cover or at least concealment for your family and yourself and go into your preplanned ambush, rather than clear the house and walk into the ambush the intruder sets up for you, let him come to you into the preplanned kill zone of your ambush.

Lastly I love IDPA and I plan on getting into 3Gun, in IDPA you shoot and reload from cover, you learn gun safety and fast and accurate shooting under some stress, however these are games or contests and meant to be fun and advancing is a necessary part of those games or scenarios, however advancing is not part of my game plan, sometimes what is boring or logical or does not seem heroic will actually save your life.
Life Member,,,Military Order of the Purple Heart, Veterans of Foreign Wars, American Legion, Amvets, Disabled American Veterans, 173rd Airborne Skysoldier Association, National Rifle Association, Member,,,IDPA, USPSA, Iowa Sheriffs and Deputies Association,,Website http://www.handgunholsters.net
Old August 12, 2011, 11:22 PM   #30
armsmaster270

There is also shooting while retreating such as I had when a Rapist tried to escape from his victims apartment While attempting to put a knife in me.