The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 3, 2009, 05:58 PM   #1
remguy

varget and cci primers

anybody know anything about getting better groupes using cci primes with varget i mean better than fed or other brands.
Old December 3, 2009, 08:57 PM   #2
wncchester

I doubt many folks would claim any average difference without trying them.
Old December 3, 2009, 09:40 PM   #3
Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Testing, testing, testing testing, kind of like with a .22 and finding which of the many rimfire rounds your rifle likes, running test with your firearm etc. will tell the story as to which does the best for you.

However, that information will only be valid providing you buy components in as large a quanity as you can. Primers by the thousand, powder AND BRASS of the same lot number etc.

The change of just one item in your components can change the total picture, which brings us to the fact that while doing your test, NEVER change more then one component at a time.

To do so and then seeing changes for the better or worse in your results, will leave you wondering what happened and where to go next.

Consistancy is the way to quality reloads.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Last edited by Crusty Deary Ol'Coot; December 3, 2009 at 09:42 PM. Reason: spelling
Old December 3, 2009, 09:56 PM   #4
Slamfire

One Long Range Champion I know uses CCI Benchrest primers.

I don't know how good of a shot you are. If you are one of the top five shooters in the US, then I would believe that you are indeed seeing accuracy variations due to primers.

I suspect that you are not one of the top five shooters in the US. Maybe not even in the top 200 shooters of the US.

If so, maybe what you are seeing are variations due to sight alignment, trigger pull, and position.

I know I have seen this. I have found an exceptional load during load testing, shoot the stuff in a match and I do horrible, back to the bench, load shoots great. Back to the match and the load shoots great.

It was never the load. It was me.
Old December 3, 2009, 09:56 PM   #5
Shoney

Primers can make a lot of difference in accuracy, but you must have a weapon capable of shooting great groups; you must have the optics to see well for shot placment; and finally you must have the ability to shoot accurately.

Without all three of the above, you proably will not be able to tell the difference.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old December 3, 2009, 10:05 PM   #6
L Puckett

Yes, I have "heard" it mentioned/debated a couple of times. The groups being discussed were all shot at 1000 yrds. The arguement was that the CCI BR-2's had less vertical dispersion.

Obviously, the claim was that the ammunition had a better ES/SD with the CCI's.

I personally have not done any experimenting.....using FED 210M's my ES/SD's are all single digits anyway, but that can be due to several other contributing factors, hint.....neck tension.

LP
Old December 4, 2009, 02:36 AM   #7
Tex S

Quote:
hint.....neck tension.
Care to elaborate? Are you neck turning and using bushing dies?