The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 5, 2008, 10:42 PM   #1
SkiShoot

Choosing a .22 to complement larger calibers

How do you guys go about selecting a .22 pistol to complement your guns in larger calibers? I will be purchasing a 9mm soon, but want to get a .22 in order to learn and practice good technique. Something like a CZ Kadet package would seem ideal if you own a CZ for example, but what if you don't have that type of option. Would you buy one that is a similar weight and barrel size to your larger gun? Would you just buy something that feels best to you? I guess I'm asking should you just go with what is most comfortable, or what mimics your favorite larger gun?
Old April 5, 2008, 10:47 PM   #2
hoytinak

I'd go with the one that is more comfortable, cause you'd prolly shoot it more, besides either way you're still going to be able to practice the fundamentals of shooting.
Old April 5, 2008, 10:49 PM   #3
jimmy123x

The cz 75B SA is a great gun, one of my favorite 9mm's that with a Kadet kit is still cheaper then 1 Sig, HK or whichever.

That aside. The Browning buckmark is a great .22 and has the controls and feel of larger guns. It's accurate and has a great trigger and reliable.
Old April 5, 2008, 10:53 PM   #4
1SOW

You answered your own question with the conversion kits, but there are a lot of high quality good .22s available: Ruger, High Standard, Browning, etc.

Another thread asked which 3-4 pistols would you really like to own.
My #1. was the S&W Model 41 .22LR. It has the heft, grip angle & feel of a large bore. It's a beautiful pistol, extremely accurate with all the benefits of .22LR shooting. The only problem with it is that I couldn't bring myself to put it in a holster.

I don't have it because I don't have $1K for a .22.
Old April 6, 2008, 01:53 AM   #5
ralthoff

Walther P22 (.22 lr) and the P99 (9mm)

great guns, i own both and love them
Old April 6, 2008, 04:46 AM   #6
T. O'Heir

"...just buy something that feels best to you?..." Yep and don't worry about it being the same as a cf pistol. A .22, aside from being much cheaper to shoot, teaches you sight picture and trigger control, etc. That is far more essential than the grip being the same. It's really more difficult to shoot a .22 well than it is a cf pistol.
Most .22's are far more ammo sensitive too. There's no working up the load for a .22 like there is for a cf pistol. You have to try as many brands as you can to find the ammo that will both shoot well and cycle the action of a .22 pistol. The cost of said ammo means nothing either.
Old April 6, 2008, 05:20 AM   #7
B.N.Real

The CZ Cadet 22 LR I saw new at a local gun store cost $620!!!!!!!!!!!!

The CZ 75B 9mm,in brand new shape I saw that was used could be bought for $450.

Uh,for my money,in 22 LR,I'd buy a BuckMark for around $325 used..
Old April 6, 2008, 07:23 AM   #8
OldShooter

For a lot less money than what a Kadet kit cost you can find a really good used Browning Buckmark or Ruger MkII pistol. I have both and also CZ75B, CZ97B, XD9SC, ....etc. The .22s are good cheap shooting for training and plinking fun. I bought the Buckmark new and the Ruger used, each for under $300. I bought my 75B used but LNIB for $400. Buy a lot of guns, shoot all of them a lot, you will get better with practice. For me, the cheapest .22 ammo shoots the best, Federal 550 bargain box at Walmart for about $9.00. Remington has the same deal but I find too many fail to fire.
Old April 6, 2008, 09:30 AM   #9
JWT

The CZ conversion kit is very nice and compliments a solid 9mm pistol. You can find some good used ones for a fair price and then you have a 22 lr that exactly matches your 9mm. Saw a very clean CZ 9mm with the coversion kit at a recent gun show for about $700.

If that's not your choice, the Ruger Mark II or III gives you quite a selection of models and prices for a very good firearm.