The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 22, 2006, 08:41 AM   #1
Domino

Alliant's Power Pistol

I have a friend encouraging me to try Power Pistol after my current powder runs out. Is P.P. a flake powder lie Unique or is it more like a ball powder? Does it meter well? Currently I'm using AA2 and will be using it for 9mm, .40 and .38. Thanks for any info.
Old September 22, 2006, 09:16 AM   #2
Edward429451

It's a flake powder like unique. It meters pretty darn well. I'm just starting to use it in 45acp and my first chrony session with it showed it to give very consistent results. I did use a trickler on those loads as it was my first batch with it. That batch showed to be more consistent than WW-231 loads. I'm pleased and moving forward with PP. I have no idea how it performs in the calibers you mentioned.
Old September 22, 2006, 10:03 AM   #3
mtnbkr

It's a fine flake poweder with smaller flakes than Unique. Therefore, it meters very well. I've only used it in 32acp (hot hot) and 357mag (mild mag loads). It worked well for both. I liked it, but given the calibers I load for, it doesn't really have a place that isn't equally well served by the other powders I keep on hand. It was very clean though.

Chris
Old September 22, 2006, 04:16 PM   #4
HSMITH

Power Pistol is a fantastic powder for full power 9mm and 40. It is a pretty good powder for 38 and 45. It is consistent, position insensitive, temperature insensitive, clean and meters as good as you could want.

If you want stout 9mm and 40 you won't find a friendlier powder, especially with heavy for caliber bullets.