The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old May 25, 2012, 05:03 PM   #1
HDmac

Budget long range scope && Bi-pod

So I have settled on ordering a new Savage Model 12 Long Range Precision in 6.5 Creedmore, which I will use for a multi-purpose rifle (hunting & target)

With it, I will need a scope / mounting system and a bi-pod...on a budget

Any suggestions as to who as the best budget systems?

Scope Requirements:
adjustable (somewhere in the range of 6-24 power, going to be shooting 500yrds+)
waterproof
durable
lower profile
clear
some sort of target reticle, mil-dot etc.
-the ability to buy drums based on your caliber like lieapold would be a super +
(I really don't need a whole lot of bells and whistles, just basic adjustments, parallax, range etc)
The best I found so far is from BSA: http://www.bsaoptics.com/scope.aspx?productID=58

Budget ~$200

Bi-pod requirements:
Swivel vs non-swivel, no idea
needs place to attach sling
solid as a rock

Budget under $100

Thanks!
Old May 25, 2012, 05:19 PM   #2
mrawesome22

Keep saving.

It makes no sense to buy a nice rifle and cripple it with junk glass.

BSA anything will be a huge dissapointment, and you'll just end up spending even more money replacing it.

Sent from a highly hacked Android device using Tapatalk 2.
Old May 25, 2012, 05:32 PM   #3
HDmac

Will a budget scope really be a hindrance to accuracy? I mean i can understand that a budget scope might be more susceptible to breaking and not preform as well in low light or be as clear... but essentially won't the POI be the same assuming you have the parallax adjusted properly?

What do I get with the extra $900 it takes to buy a lieapold besides optical clarity and performance in low light? 24k gold plated ring and emblem? If that BSA breaks, I will have no problem taking advantage of the (limited) lifetime warranty and sending it back the moment I suspect it is not in factory new shooting condition.
Old May 25, 2012, 05:57 PM   #4
mrawesome22

Repeatable adjustment, clarity, dependablity, reliability, non-critical eye relief, are some things you are going to want in a scope shooting at 500+ yards.

BSA simply will not meet these criteria.

Who said anything about a $900 Leupold

The difference between a $200 scope and a $400 scope can be quite drastic.

Sent from a highly hacked Android device using Tapatalk 2.
Old May 25, 2012, 06:19 PM   #5
HDmac

alright well I welcome you to blow my budget, I am just looking for a decent scope that's all!

Edit: are you talking more like this? http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/...ld-bdc-reticle

Last edited by HDmac; May 25, 2012 at 06:36 PM.
Old May 25, 2012, 07:00 PM   #6
willmc33

Redfield is made by leupold now as far as I know. I bought my 3-9x40 at Academy for $179.99 and its a very good clear scope.
Old May 25, 2012, 07:17 PM   #7
jmr40

A $200 scope with more than 3-9X is going to be junk. A 3-9X40 is plenty of scope for 500 yards and even much farther and you will get a lot more for your money in that power range.

$200 is about the bottom rung on the ladder for a decent 3-9 scope. The Redfield, Burris, Nikon and Vortex scopes in that range are decent enough. But even those brands with higher powers in the same price range are not worth owning.

Not everyone can afford this at first but my advice for the most scope for the money is something in the Leupold VX-2 line. You can spend 2X more and only get a slightly better scope. You can spend $50 less and only have 1/2 the scope.

Buy what you can afford for now as long as you stay away from junk and move up when you can. Or save a little longer.
Old May 25, 2012, 07:30 PM   #8
mnhntr

I have the same rifle in 260 and I chose to put a Bushnell 3200 elite 10x mil/mil on it and I really like this scope. Repeatable zero and clear glass, and it is on sale for 199 at Midwayusa.
Old May 25, 2012, 08:02 PM   #9
HDmac

Quote:
I have the same rifle in 260 and I chose to put a Bushnell 3200 elite 10x mil/mil on it and I really like this scope. Repeatable zero and clear glass, and it is on sale for 199 at Midwayusa.
That might be a good choice, what kind of groups are you getting with your rifle? Also what did you use for rings and a base?
Old May 25, 2012, 08:25 PM   #10
mnhntr

Burris Tactcal Rings, Warne 20moa Base, Caldwell bipod. Here are some groups from working up loads.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scan0001.jpg (49.6 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg Scan00014.jpg (75.8 KB, 67 views)
Old May 25, 2012, 08:44 PM   #11
Txhillbilly

HDmac,What ranges do you plan on shooting with the rifle?
If you are thinking that you will start shooting 500+ yards with a cheap scope,forget it!
A fixed 10x scope like the Elite 3200 will serve you well for shooting targets,but will be a big negative if you want to hunt with it.It will have a very small field of view for any type of closer range hunting.
Low end scopes also don't have the internal adjustment range needed for long range work and most don't track well,or repeat the adjustments very well.

For a budget minded Long Range Scope on all of my LR rifles,I chose to get the Sightron SIII scopes,but they are way above what you want to spend.I have 4 of these scopes,and they are great scopes.
The Vortex Viper PST is also a great lower end Long Range scope,and it cost around what the Sightron SIII cost.It has a few more bells & whistles than the Sightron,but the glass isn't as good.

You purchased a great gun,don't cheat yourself by putting junk glass on it.
Buy once,Cry once!

The Weaver Classic Extreme is also a very good scope with great glass.Natchez Shooters Supply has them on closeout for a very good price.
They only offer 2 reticles,a Duplex and German #4,but they are very good optics.
I just recently purchased 2 of these in 6-24x50 to replace some old optics on both of my 223 varmint rigs.I have been very pleased with the quality of both these scopes.With a 20moa mount,I still have a lot of vertical adjustment left for any longer range shots,but these guns rarely see shots over 450 yards.
You might want to take a look at these scopes,for the money they're hard to beat the quality of scope your getting.

http://www.natchezshooterssupply.com...odTitle=Weaver 6-24x50 Classic Extreme Riflescope Illuminated German#4 Reticle Matte
Old May 25, 2012, 09:52 PM   #12
HDmac

Well on my personal property, I have a place for 300 yards (target, possibly deer if he finds his way on the other side of the feild ), eventually I would like to go to Alaska or out west to really stretch its legs in hunting situations. (in that case I am going to have to find a REALLY awesome sling)

Basically it will pick up the slack where my .45-70 falls off at 100 yards (open sights)
Old May 25, 2012, 09:59 PM   #13
Te Anau

It isnt quite the power range you're looking for,but this scope is the equal of any $500.00 scope at a fraction of the price.

http://www.natchezss.com/Optics.cfm?...odTitle=Nitrex TR One 3-10x50mm Rifle Scope Matte Finish TrexPlex Reticle

As for a bipod,check out what CDNN has.
Www.cdnninvestments.com
Old May 25, 2012, 10:07 PM   #14
taylorce1

3-10X40 Weaver Grand Slam Tactical is what I use on my long range rifle. I read the review on Sniper Central looked around a few other sites. I tried it and so far I like it, I don't know how it will hold up in the long run as I've only had it a few months. So far the adjustments seem to be repeatable. You can only purchase it throught Midway USA though and it usually runs $299.
Old May 25, 2012, 10:39 PM   #15
Jimro

The only scope that meets the two hundred dollar price limit is the Bushnell Elite 3200 10x40.

For long range shooting it will get you started, it is good glass with solid adjustments.

Jimro
Old May 25, 2012, 10:44 PM   #16
HDmac

A lot to think about thanks everyone, found a gun club not far away that is going to be putting in a 600 yard range soon, might join. My only concern with the 10 power, could I even see my bulls-eye at 300 or 600 yards? I feel like the cross hair would cover it up to the extent of totally blocking it out... maby more I do have like 20/20 vision, but I can't see though the cross hair

Anyone know if the 12 LRP is round or flat rear for mounting the scope? I would assume round

Last edited by HDmac; May 25, 2012 at 10:54 PM.
Old May 25, 2012, 11:37 PM   #17
T-Ray

I recommend the Nikon Buckmaster series. I have one on my Rem 700 and love it, and they are within your ~$200 budget. Another option to consider...

www.texasguntalk.com/forums
Old May 26, 2012, 11:03 AM   #18
golfnutrlv

Go with the Vortex. I have the 6.5-20 X50 Mil Dot on my long range Remington .308 that I use for F-Class.

It has never failed me in any way. Consistent, repeatable, and functional. I can dial in my elevation out to 1000 yards, and then dial it back to zero, and it's right on every time. VERY good scope.

I got mine here:
http://www.opticsplanet.net/vortex-r...pr-m-06fp.html

As for the bipod, Harris is the only one to look at IMO. THere are a lot of options, but really depends on how you will shoot: Prone/Bench/Sitting.

I have mine set up for prone, 6-9 Inch height, no swivel, no leg notches.

Go here for an explanation of the Harris System (Such as it is)
http://www.harrisbipods.com/

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/652...t-6-to-9-black

Enjoy!!!
America is at an awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.
Old May 26, 2012, 11:58 AM   #19
hooligan1

Ditto what golfnut says, the Vortex is head and tails better quality over the Bushnell, Nikon, Weaver, Redfield.. The only scope I would judge better for the money would be the Leupold. But I'm not certain about the same power for money as the Vortex.... Vortex has tremendous people in the customer service dept. call them and ask questions before making a purchase, and if you can go pick one up and see for yourself dude.
Old May 26, 2012, 12:14 PM   #20
HDmac

If I were to pick up that Vortex, what style do you think I should go for, dead hold or mil-dot style? The mil-dot looks a little thick.
Old May 26, 2012, 12:37 PM   #21
hooligan1

Thats only up to you. My Vortex Diamondback has the Dead Hold BDC type reticle,,, and I like it. It tracks perfectly and if you can hold that rifle steady enough you can see each click difference on the target,,, easily worth the money man!
Old May 27, 2012, 06:07 AM   #22
madcratebuilder

Bi-pod-Midway is running a sale on the Cadwell bi-pods. these are a copy of the Harris, imported and are fairly nice, most of all they are cheap. Best budget bi-pod you can get.

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?userSe...=cadwell+bipod

I have owned or used about every scope in the $200-$600 price range at one time or another. I have a very short list of scopes that have consistent adjustments and what I consider quality optic.

Vortex Vipers run in the $350 to $450 area. 6.5-22X50PA is GTG.
Mueller TAC II is $330 +/-, does not have AO, but very nice glass.
I have about two months with a new Alpen Optics Apex scope. Model 4058 is 6-24X50, 30mm tube, side focus, a clone of the Vortex Viper in many ways. I have found the optic quality to be better than the Vipers, especially at full magnification. Great eye relief, the eye box does get small at 22X, but they all do. The price? $320 with a no paper work life time warranty.

Tracking behind a .308 AR10 has been perfect. I would not hesitate to buy another. These are head and shoulders above the $400-600 Nikons and Bushnells.

http://www.alpenoptics.com/RScope-apex.html

Bottom line, about $360 for both bi-pod and scope. You well still need to mount the bi-pod and the scope, that's going to be at least $60-70 bucks for quality parts.
Old May 27, 2012, 07:30 AM   #23
Te Anau

It you do a little research,these are highly regarded.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/168..._vc=S016746570
Old May 27, 2012, 09:26 PM   #24
justjim75

try natchez shooters supply
Old May 27, 2012, 10:42 PM   #25
golfnutrlv

Reticle choice is kind of personal preference. Mil Dot's are made for quick elevation and windage correction, and can be used to determine range (assuming you know the size of the target, or something nearby).

I really don't use my mils for F-class long range target. I can, but prefer the finer center crosshair. I do know how many mils to hold off at most of my frequent ranges. 200, 300, 600, and 1000 (plus some click adjustments).

Again, personal choice, but I like Mil-Dots.
America is at an awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.

Tags
bipod , budget , savage , scope