The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 5, 2006, 11:54 PM   #26
Arizona Fusilier

I agree wholeheartedly on the "context" angle; as tragic as it might be, a ND is something you might expect at a gun show. A single shot might not bring out the full range of reaction that folks might have otherwise.

I experienced an accidental (negligent, whatever ) discharge at a very small gun show at the local VFW. Here in Phoenix, we have massively large shows, and its not normally worth my while to attend the small ones. This one was right across the street from where I lived at the time, so what the heck.

It was a private owner who had some small .22 or .32 or something like that in a revolver on display. Thank goodness pointing in a safe direction was followed; the bullet went more or less harmlessly in the floor. I went down in a crouch to the floor, reaching for my own gun, which of course wasn't there. Didn't see too many other reactions; everyone seemed to assume it was an accident, but upon seeing no one was hurt, just kind of milled about silently for an awkward minute or so.

The crazy ol' coot who had the revolver on display was ejected from the show, mumbling about how his gun show days were over. Frankly, I don't think he's been missed.

It has given me a great deal of suspicion now when dealing with "private owners"; carry gun one day and show gun the next. Think about it, if a loaded gun "accidentally", "negligently" or otherwise makes it to the floor of a gun show, it will probably be on a private owner's table, not a licensed dealer's table.

I wouldn't fault people for not over-reacting under the circumstances, though multiple shots would likely be the cue everyone is looking for to take a more drastic action than drawing a sigh of relief and saying "thank goodness that wasn't me".
Old August 7, 2006, 10:18 PM   #27
Hardtarget

I've been reading the responses and I've been trying to count how many gun shows I've to...and I have no idea...too many to count. In all those years I've never heard a shot at a gun show. Just lucky, I guess, and I'm glad of it.
Mark.
Old August 7, 2006, 11:06 PM   #28
Doug.38PR

Every gun show I've ever been to in Texas doesn't allow loaded guns.

Don't panic. Get down real low. Look around. See where the disturbance came from. Move away from it as calmly and quickly as you can.

If I have my carry gun with me, which I ususally do, the first thing I might consider doing is buying some ammo at the show. If something goes wrong and the trash hits the fan, I need only whip out my pocket knife, cut off the plastic wire keeping my gun from functioning, open the ammo box and load up..
Old August 8, 2006, 04:56 PM   #29
PythonGuy

^^

You can't be serious with that comment??
Old August 8, 2006, 06:00 PM   #30
Doug.38PR

Quote:
If I have my carry gun with me, which I ususally do, the first thing I might consider doing is buying some ammo at the show. If something goes wrong and the trash hits the fan, I need only whip out my pocket knife, cut off the plastic wire keeping my gun from functioning, open the ammo box and load up..
Well, in once sense I am serious in another no. If a gunshot turns out to be some nut shooting at people and I cannot get to an exit without going by the area of shooting, then I am dang serious. Especially if the shooter is coming in my direction and I have nowhere to go. Granted I would have to hide under a table or out of sight while doing this, but I'd have a much better chance with a loaded gun than not.

If it is just a ND or in fact a nut and I can safely escape the area, then no I am not serious.

Worst case senario is all I mean't that comment for
Old August 21, 2006, 06:18 PM   #31
wolfy692005

stop drop and roll... um wait, wrong deal... still stop and drop... wait for clear... leave..
Old August 21, 2006, 06:30 PM   #32
Venison_Jerkey32

Are you saying that in Texas if you have your concealed carry liscense, you still can't carry a loaded gun into a gun show?
Old August 21, 2006, 11:58 PM   #33
azurefly

I think that Samurai's post brings up the most germane point: apart from possibly ducking or taking cover, or running for an exit, there isn't much most folks at a gun show can do since they are "required" to not have their guns loaded.

I haven't been to lots and lots of gun shows, but I've been to a number of them here in S. Florida. The show at the fairgrounds in West Palm Beach has a "no loaded firearms" policy, but you know what? The policy may be in place, but all they do is ASK you, "Do you have any loaded guns with you?" If you say yes, they will have you unload them in a safe area. If you say no... You can walk on in with that nicely concealed GLOCK 27...

And in my opinion, if you do not plan to be taking that gun out for any reason other than dire circumstances, you are wise to simply say, "Nope!" to their question and saunter on in. I am talking about if this is your EDC gun that during any other day would be remaining just as concealed, just as permanently, then I feel there is no reason for complying with the rule and every reason not to.

I have to go to and from the show. I want my carry gun available to me as something other than a hunk of metal and plastic to hurl at an attacker. I do not want to have to take purchases out to the far reaches of the parking lot without something with which to defend against a possible robbery. I do not want to have to get back to my car and then reload my EDC CCW piece. That's just stupid.

Let's look at the logic of banning loaded-CCW in places like gun shows: how can we defend gun ownership and claim that most gun owners are competent at the same time as we are telling them they can't carry loaded CCW guns at gun shows because of the danger they present?? Are we in agreement with the antis, who would have the world believe that American CCWers are just reckless, dangerous loose cannons?

Obviously, I don't want the guy with his O/U or his SKS for sale to be walking around with it slung over his shoulder loaded. I do not want people walking around the show with guns they plan to be presenting for examination loaded. But loaded CCW is something we expect to be trusted to do safely in restaurants, shops, movie theaters, homes... and then we say, "You're not supposed to do that in gun shops and gun shows"?!

I have never disarmed for gun shops and gun shows, and I don't plan to. No reasonable, compelling argument is put before me why I should have to. If the gun shop owner is concerned that I might be a robber, well, if I was a robber I would just disobey his sign. If he's concerned that I might take my CCW gun out and start being stupid and reckless with it, he ought to have a sign that says, "CCW guns MUST REMAIN CONCEALED/HOLSTERED. All other guns must be unloaded when brought on the premises."

It only makes sense that if you walk into a gun shop or show with a CCW gun on you, it should remain untouched unless it is needed for what you'd need a gun for -- armed self defense. If you plan to present the gun to a gunsmith or anyone else, you should CCW some other gun and bring the one you want worked on or sold in an unloaded condition.

I thought this stuff was just common sense...

-azurefly