The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 9, 2010, 02:32 AM   #1
JimL

Affecting accuracy

I'm going to ask what some will consider a ridiculous question.

Assume: You want to give a middle caliber semi-automatic handgun with, say, a 3 1/2 inch barrel an accuracy treatment.

Assume: You must start with the barrel, giving it the greatest metaphorical "weight" in the customizing process. Once you get that set, you can move on to other things.

Grooves/lands: Deep, shallow, wide, narrow, many, few?

Question: How much does expected bullet velocity affect this?

JimL
Old September 9, 2010, 08:49 AM   #2
alland

IMHO the mechanical fitting and lockup of the barrel has much more to do with accuracy than the type of barrel or rifling.

Allan
Old September 9, 2010, 12:11 PM   #3
JimL

Quote:
IMHO the mechanical fitting and lockup of the barrel has much more to do with accuracy than the type of barrel or rifling.
No doubt that's true. No doubt that's true. But I'm not asking what has the most effect on accuracy. I'm asking specifically about the _effect of rifling_, which, as I well knew, some would think is a ridiculous question that shouldn't even be asked about. Lots of people like to say, "you shouldn't ask that." (Especially on computer forums.) I don't know why.

But knowing all that I asked anyway.

JimL
Old September 9, 2010, 12:54 PM   #4
Jim Watson

The rifling plan is so far down the list of actors in pistol accuracy that it is about invisible.

I dare say you could shoot equally well made and installed 5 groove S&W, 6 groove Colt, 10 groove Apex, and "polygonal" Peter Stahl side by side and not be able to tell the difference.

A pistol with a 3.5" barrel will have such a short sight radius as to make it difficult to get the best out of "accuracy treatment" anyhow.
Old September 9, 2010, 07:22 PM   #5
JimL

Quote:
The rifling plan is so far down the list of actors in pistol accuracy that it is about invisible.
OK. So gun makers who tout "quality" barrels are frauds. Who would have guessed?

JimL
Old September 11, 2010, 08:46 PM   #6
Jim Watson

No, many of them make very fine barrels. It is just that the number, style, and depth of the grooves is not a significant factor in their quality. Also that there is nothing wrong with factory Colt and S&W barrels. I believe Clark will still guarantee the same group size with a refitted Colt barrel as a new one, for example.
Old September 11, 2010, 09:13 PM   #7
JimL

Quote:
the number, style, and depth of the grooves is not a significant factor in their quality.
I would assume the material would be important - no copper barrel please. And it might be nice if it were straight. But, once again, my OP specifically laid aside other factors. That is, other factors were acknowledged and assumed, much as driving a car assumes it has gas in the tank. It was a simple matter of asking a very specific question. The fact that some thought and apparently still think it should not be asked was foreseen.

Of course the material in or on the bullets (lead, lube, copper, brass, franging alloy) or their weight means the rifling is totally and decidedly beside the point!

JimL