The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old January 1, 2009, 07:39 PM   #1
anna

Meriden Firearm-32 cal.

I am trying to obtain information for my dad on his 1924-1925 Meriden Breakdown 32 cal punchboard pistol. Any help would be appreciated!
Old January 1, 2009, 11:04 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Meriden was a prolific maker of shotguns and small inexpensive revolvers. Most were sold to hardware stores and mail order companies. Meriden would put on any name the customer wanted if he bought a quantity, so Meriden's own name is not very common on guns it made. The revolvers usually sold for around $2. There is a mild collector interest, but only if the gun is in near-new condition, which most are not.

For the young folks, a punchboard gun (or anything else) was won on a punchboard, something commonly found in almost every small store up until the 1950's. This was a thick cardboard gambling device with many holes covered by paper with the hole positions printed on it. Using a metal punch, the bettor punched through the paper into the hole and pushed a tiny slip of paper out the back. The paper had a winning amount, a prize to be given by the store, or a "sorry" note. The cost was usually 5 cents a punch or 3 for a dime.

Most states outlawed punchboards when they went to state lotteries; the state does not appreciate competition.

Jim
Old January 9, 2009, 04:50 PM   #3
TEDDY

meriden arms

they wern't bad pistols.on a par with H&R and iver.my learning curve was trying to hand load.with one.worked good but the reloaded cartridge expanded and I taped it with a piece of 2x4,with the cylinder in my hand.the result was a scar I still have on my left thumb. and picking bulk shot gun powder out of the scar for weeks.