The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 21, 2013, 10:07 AM   #1
solowandslow

Help the Neophyte find 9mm & 22LR ammo online

Just got my first two semi-auto pistols: Sig Sauer P250c 9mm & a Ruger SR22. Now I need to start seriously training with them and I need some cheap ammo.

What are your best and worse experiences buying ammo online?
Favorite webstores for ammo?
Educate me on what is a good deal for a box of 50 of 9mm and 22LR?
Related ammo tips?

Thanks!
Old October 21, 2013, 10:51 AM   #2
GEARHEAD_ENG

Re: Help the Neophyte find 9mm & 22LR ammo online

I used to buy my 9mm plinking rounds from Walmart or Gander Mtn for $15 per box of 50. They still had stock over the weekend here locally. I handload my ammo now so I don't have to worry about the shortages.

The hardest part of ordering online is finding it in stock. I like cheaperthandirt.com but they are pretty well empty on ammo inventory. Try a web crawler like www.gunbot.net to find prices/availability on ammo and research from there.

22LR is way overpriced right now due to the high demand.
Old October 21, 2013, 10:59 AM   #3
Fishbed77

http://www.gunbot.net/ammo/rimfire/22lr/

Oops - I see someone already beat me to it.
Old October 21, 2013, 11:04 AM   #4
jimbob86

Tip #1:

Handload and you can shoot 30-50% more for the same money, and learn quite a bit while you are at it.

As for .22lr ...... if you can find it, you are lucky.
Old October 21, 2013, 11:40 AM   #5
GEARHEAD_ENG

Re: Help the Neophyte find 9mm & 22LR ammo online

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob86 View Post
Handload and you can shoot 30-50% more for the same money, and learn quite a bit while you are at it.

As for .22lr ...... if you can find it, you are lucky.
I have my 9mm down to .14 cents per round (Berry's 115Grn RN-DS, CCI small pistol primer, 6.5Grn HS-6 powder) which is less than the lowest priced 22LR on gunbot when you factor shipping.

I hope to start casting lead boolits soon which will make it about half of that cost .07 cents per round (not counting brass).
Old October 21, 2013, 11:47 AM   #6
blackamos

http://ammoseek.com/
Old October 21, 2013, 12:00 PM   #7
jimbob86

Montana Gold has .355" jacketed bullets for less than 10 cents each ...if you order them by the case.
Old October 22, 2013, 05:16 AM   #8
solowandslow

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions.

How much outlay is involved for the equipment to re-load rounds myself?
Old October 22, 2013, 05:26 AM   #9
spacecoast

Take a look at the Reloading forum - http://thefiringline.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9.

It's not as much as you think, you can easily get started for $100-$150 reloading one caliber (equipment only, consumables are extra). Each additional caliber is approx. $40. You'll make back your original investment within 1000 rounds or so.

Right now it's also tough to find powder and primers (especially pistol powder) online, you may have better luck if you have a local reloading supply store.

Be sure and keep any and all brass you find (except .22LR). You can use calibers you don't shoot to trade.
Old October 22, 2013, 05:53 AM   #10
JimmyR

Honestly, I have gotten a lot of my ammo lately from Facebook and Armslist.

When buying from Facebook, I watch different groups dedicated to firearms buying and selling, and when I see a good price for ammo, I make my offer.

Armslist has a section for ammunition, and sometimes you find someone selling their ammo for a decent price. There's a lot of gougers, but you will sometimes find a little bit.
Old October 22, 2013, 06:06 AM   #11
semi_problomatic

Walmart. It's really easy if you don't mind getting up early and stay determined. Also helps to know when the trucks come in. Plus, their prices haven't gone up. I buy my limit when I go in. .223 tula is $5/box 20. 9mm is $15 or $17/ box 50. My buddy just picked up 4 bricks of .22LR for $15ish/brick. All about timing. They get it in every week. I haven't gotten any .22LR though, my work schedule kinda kills me on getting there in time. I got there an hour after opening and there were only 4 boxes of .22 short left for $4 n change/box of 50. Only super walmart I know that doesn't stay open 24/7...

But by the middle of the day those shelves are picked pretty clean. They usually get ammo twice a week in, so just gotta ask someone who stocks the shelves when it comes in and be there waiting.
Old October 22, 2013, 07:06 AM   #12
Pilot

If I didn't reload, I wouldn't have been doing much shooting the past year. I just refused to pay overly inflated prices for ammo including .22LR. I had some .22 on hand, but did reduce my use of it at the range. Recently, I have been finding bulk pack .22 at pre-panic prices.
Old October 22, 2013, 07:22 AM   #13
ClydeFrog

Good sources for handgun rounds....

Here are a few sites Id check for 9mm(9x19mm) & .22LR .
SG Ammo of OK is a great source for carry/defense ammunition in most calibers but they have lowered amounts now due to the increased demand & the hoarders.
See; www.brownells.com www.natchezss.com www.shopcorbon.com www.luckygunner.com www.cabelas.com www.sportsmansguide.com www.midwayusa.com www.gilbertsguns.com www.gunbot.net www.policehq.com .
note; if you purchase any ammunition online it will be sent by ground(not air). This might take 7-10 business days.
I would avoid Target Sports USA. I ordered a 25rd box of "bonded 9mm Golden Saber 124gr +P" that was not the same as what they sent me. The QC & customer support was sub-standard.
Some ammunition firms like Corbon, DRT & Buffalo Bore you can order directly from. As posted, your order may be delayed due to the high demands/logistics.
Old October 22, 2013, 09:31 AM   #14
jimbob86

Quote:
How much outlay is involved for the equipment to re-load rounds myself?
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/665...ock-hand-press

$33

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/885...-set-9mm-luger

$41

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/413...d-priming-tool

$20

With just that for tools, my brother loaded thousands and thousands of 9mm rounds for his sR9c ..... in the first year he bought the gun.

He has since bought a lot more stuff (case cleaner, bench mounted press kit, yadayadayada), and now reloads for several more calibers, rifles and pistols......

Save your factory brass, buy components in bulk ..... you won't save any money- you'll just shoot a whole lot more.
Old October 22, 2013, 02:19 PM   #15
Brandon79ta

9mm seems to be in stock at my local dealers but .22lr is tough to find. I seen bricks of 500 at the gun show this weekend going for as high as $60.

Tags
22lr , 9mm , ammo , online