The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old December 25, 2008, 06:30 PM   #26
Beretta686

In a theoretical world, sure an MP5 would be a kick-ass HD weapon and certainly would get the job done.

But back in reality......I think some are making the common mistake of seeing NFA items as practical self-defense weapons, rather than awesome, fun (and $$$) toys. Blowing a bad guy away with a SBS, SBR or especially an SMG just isn't going to look as "clean" as shooting the guy with a regular 'ole 870. Not very logical, since a clean shoot should be a clean shoot, but if you get some anti-gun DA or grand jury you could be in a world of hurt.

BUT IIRC correctly there was some dude down in Florida who took on some intruders with a S&W 9mm SMG and had no trouble with the Cops, so you never know.

For me though, there is no way in hell, I'm going to be using my MAC-10 SMG (like I'd hit anything anyways....) or Saiga 12 SBS for SD unless Terminator Machines are rising or Mexican Paratroopers are falling from the sky to retake Texas.

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”
Old December 25, 2008, 07:30 PM   #27
Socrates

The irony is a bit dripping. IIRC, a former employee of H&K was tailed home, while being shot at, by some meth freaks, from a gun show. The guy had just bought a machine gun, and, drove to his place of work, parking lot. He jumped out of the truck, grabbed the machine gun out of the back, and put a warning burst in front of the bad guy. The bad guy committed suicide, forcing him to shoot the guy. The DA filed charges, and, after loosing his job, and a couple hundred thousand dollars, he was acquitted, or found not guilty.

That is the only instance I know of, where a submachine gun was used for ANY defense, or crime.

That said, I can't imagine anything much more effective then a 45 caliber burst from a Mac 10, with a suppressor.

With no recoil to speak of, I would think it would be accurate enough at home defense ranges, though the rather heavy bolt, and heavy trigger aren't exactly target quality.

Problem is, most subs I've played with did NOT like hollow points. Ball only. Wonder how that Federal ammo that starts out as ball, and, spreads out would work in a sub?

I'm NOT sold on a shotgun, simply because of the recoil. Semi auto battle rifles, or, any of the surplus carbine guns with 30-06 type ballistics are proven, and, have 1/4 the recoil of 00 buck, in a light, handy shotgun.
Old December 25, 2008, 07:57 PM   #28

I think you are mixing up two incidents or alleged incidents.

The one you are talking about was in Virginia. That was an AC556

There was another story of a gun dealer someplace that shot some people who were breaking in his shop with a S&W 76.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.
Old December 25, 2008, 08:01 PM   #29
9mmkungfu

Wasn't that a Ruger AC-556?
Old December 26, 2008, 12:00 AM   #30
Socrates

I think that's it, and, the guy opened his own knife company.
Anyone have the name of the person, or case?
Any links?
Old December 26, 2008, 12:08 AM   #31
Socrates

I think that's it, and, the guy opened his own knife company.
Anyone have the name of the person, or case?
Any links?
Old December 26, 2008, 12:11 AM   #32
nikuailewokuaile

Sling shot with ammo in the handle

Has anyone bought this type of sling shot before that holds the amo in the handle? http://www.liangdianup.com/sporting_1.htm
this company has free shipping to anywhere in the world and they guarantee delivery to Australia. I heard that sling shots
are ok to sell in Australia as long as you say they are being used to toss bait in the water when you go fishing, any truth
to thatone?
Old December 26, 2008, 05:33 AM   #33
Socrates